Expired Hot Deals

Fongo

Fongo Home Phone [VOIP] - 4 Months Free Service (New Signup) - On Till Jan 9th [Extended]

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 1st, 2022 7:18 am
Nov 18, 2012
276 posts
210 upvotes
Oshawa
I use a wireless home phone (cellular based home phone) I pay $10 with Zoomer wireless which is Rogers. Best thing I ever did for those who still like a 'home phone'. I had a VOIP service years ago but it had ongoing 'issues', I dumped that and switched to Zoomer. The home phone module also has a battery backup so works if the power is out. Prior to the VOIP was BELL, lol never again. I think I was about $40 or $50 a month for POTS with them and an additional $10/month service for unlimited long distance through Distributel. Check out a cell based home phone as another consideration for a home phone over VOIP. I have had 100% reliability/quality and will never look to switch to another service unless cheaper and as reliable imho.
Public Mobile
Koodo
Zoomer Wireless
Deal Addict
Jun 9, 2017
1996 posts
850 upvotes
BargainHunter202 wrote:
With so many VOIP options, spending $49 US annually plus their ridiculous credit card service charges doesn't make sense any more. Moreover, unlike earlier, app is now restricted to one mobile device.
After so many years with Magic Jack, recently ported the 647 number to Freedom.
So you got freedom as home phone now? What is a cheaper option for home phone. I usually pay about $65 CAD for the year.
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2008
3812 posts
1229 upvotes
If your savvy enough setting up freephoneonline is probably the best and cheapest way to go. It was a bit of a pain to learn and setup but it's been setup and forget.

My ATA is also setup with Google Voice so basically have a Canadian and American number all from the same phone.

I think i paid $50 for the ATA and $50 to port my number, this was around 8 years ago.
Aug 13, 2020
999 posts
4553 upvotes
Vancouver Island
Moosebox wrote: Why not just use FreePhoneLine.ca? Which is free.
I've been using FreePhoneLine.ca which is the same company as Fongo for free for about 10 years. The experience of FreePhoneLine.ca is the same as Fongo except: NO Support whatsoever from the company and there are No SMS (Text Messages) with FreePhoneLine.ca

Once you pay the Upfront fee (s), you will never have to pay again. (The only exception are $5.00 Long Distance credits that you can Optionally purchase for Overseas and USA calls.)

Here are the steps:

1 - signup for https://www.freephoneline.ca/ you will get a free Telephone #

2 - install the Freephoneline Client on your PC and make a few tests calls
(Note, the PC SoftClient or Softphone is NOT great... the Echo Cancellation is terrible. With an ATA (See #5 below) it will be a lot better)

3 - decide if you want to "Port" your existing number or keep using the one they gave you. ($25, one time if you decide to Port. You can port from Mobile/Landline and even "Smart Rings".)

4 - Purchase the VOIP Unlock Key ($99, one time) This will give you the login credentials for your ATA (See #5 below)

5 - purchase an ATA (Analog Telephone Adapter) with at least 1 analog telephone port (Sometimes called FXS)
Here's one for $40 on Amazon: https://www.amazon.ca/Adapter-Voice-Ove ... 081B1XD9W/

6 - you will need an Analog Phone (Normal Home Phone.) This can be a corded or cordless phone.
Last edited by IslandDeal on Dec 27th, 2021 11:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jan 3, 2013
635 posts
252 upvotes
Winnipeg
VoIP is great and it comes down to your technical abilities or support.

Ooma's thing is all about pay X, plug this in, and go. Straight up simple and you pay for that type of service offering. It's reasonable, but understand you're paying a premium. However it works and has its market.

Fongo is similar, except they're also taking advantage. Porting in fees, their own ATA etc. Ooma has their own ATA as well.

Then you get into traditional VoIP. I have been using VoIP.ms for close to two years. Just recently they went through about four weeks of DDoS attacks and to be blunt service was down. They have made significant investments in cyber security, implemented CloudFlare, communications department etc. Service is back to normal.

I use VoIP for my home phone. Mainly for babysitter to have a phone, my oldest phone number is on it, and for my kids to call instead of using our cell phones. I went from a Shaw home phone to Fido now to VoIP.ms. Paying about $2-4 a month depending on use. Using a grandstream 108 that was $65ish.

If looking at VoIP I wouldn't look further than VoIP.ms

https://voip.ms/en/rates/canada
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2008
1775 posts
775 upvotes
hurricane wrote: It's $5.59 tax in
Thank you for the info, cause someone mentioned you have to pay also 911 Service Fee and Regulatory Compliance Fee of $2.54, so it’ll be much more then $4.95 plus tax.
Deal Addict
Jun 9, 2017
1996 posts
850 upvotes
zeon64 wrote: VoIP is great and it comes down to your technical abilities or support.

Ooma's thing is all about pay X, plug this in, and go. Straight up simple and you pay for that type of service offering. It's reasonable, but understand you're paying a premium. However it works and has its market.

Fongo is similar, except they're also taking advantage. Porting in fees, their own ATA etc. Ooma has their own ATA as well.

Then you get into traditional VoIP. I have been using VoIP.ms for close to two years. Just recently they went through about four weeks of DDoS attacks and to be blunt service was down. They have made significant investments in cyber security, implemented CloudFlare, communications department etc. Service is back to normal.

I use VoIP for my home phone. Mainly for babysitter to have a phone, my oldest phone number is on it, and for my kids to call instead of using our cell phones. I went from a Shaw home phone to Fido now to VoIP.ms. Paying about $2-4 a month depending on use. Using a grandstream 108 that was $65ish.

If looking at VoIP I wouldn't look further than VoIP.ms

https://voip.ms/en/rates/canada
VoIP.ms is this a service your pay per usage
Jan 22, 2021
42 posts
31 upvotes
NightRider_ wrote: So you got freedom as home phone now? What is a cheaper option for home phone. I usually pay about $65 CAD for the year.
Use Google Voice with Obihai VoIP Adapter as home phone. One time cost for the adapter and then no further charges
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
25126 posts
21563 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
escapehatch wrote: The reliability of traditional Bell (POTS) lines is debatable.
-They are just as susceptible to physical damage (ice/wind storms, cut lines as voIP /network lines.
-The infrastructure is much older and often poorly maintained.
-Fewer subscribers means fewer people reporting issues -possibly slower response corecting
-Bell may have switching equipment converting traditional to voIP systems

The obvious big advantage is ability to use the phone even if power is lost in the home.But cell towers' power uptime is likely high and most people have cell phones that last many hours on battery. Homes often have multiple cell phones using various providers.
Let me debate ;)
-They are just as susceptible to physical damage (ice/wind storms, cut lines as voIP /network lines.
That may be true but bHell takes these sorts of outages very seriously. They have the resources to react quickly. For all the criticism bHell deservedly gets for sleazy customer service, their technical people remain top-notch. It's doubtful that cell carriers, with the possible exception of Robbers and Telus, have the same resources and commitment.
-The infrastructure is much older and often poorly maintained.
It may be old but it remains critical, more so than cell, to providing national communications, especially in emergencies. bHell has a helluva lot more experience and expertise in maintaining that infrastructure than other carriers.
-Fewer subscribers means fewer people reporting issues -possibly slower response corecting
Last winter I reported static on our POTS line (which incidentally is resold by TekSavvy.) One phone call resulted in a technician arriving the same day. He quickly found the fault but couldn't repair it because the ground was frozen. So he ran a temporary line around the problem. He also took the time to "upgrade the infrastructure" by adding a proper NID (demarc) box at our premises. Then he told me that he updated their internal system to schedule a proper repair in the spring when the ground was thawed. And sure enough early this spring, without my having to call, a technician came by to fix the buried wire. They couldn't have done a better job.
-Bell may have switching equipment converting traditional to voIP systems
True but it's part of their infrastructure and usually runs separately from the public Internet. The quality of service, 911, etc. remains the same. It's transparent to the user, just as the switch from copper to fiber. So of course they take this infrastructure just as seriously as the traditional copper POTS infrastructure.

Can a small player like Fongo (or voip.ms) match that?
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2008
1517 posts
597 upvotes
Toronto
stizarch wrote:
I had MagicJack years ago. It was much better than NetTalk. The latter was a disaster.
IIRC, MagicJack is cheaper than Fongo. All fees are included.
Keep in mind, there is an extra $10 fee for a Canadian number. If you pay for 5 years all at once, it is cheaper than yearly.
NightRider_ wrote: I have magic Jack. I think it's still cheaper. It's $10 USD a year for same number and $39 USD for service but if you buy 5 years its cheaper
BargainHunter202 wrote: With so many VOIP options, spending $49 US annually plus their ridiculous credit card service charges doesn't make sense any more. Moreover, unlike earlier, app is now restricted to one mobile device.
After so many years with Magic Jack, recently ported the 647 number to Freedom.
Yes MagicJack charges 9% "administrative fee" which is ridiculous; what other companies do that and get away with it?? I try to pretend it is tax so I don't get as irked by it.

Canadian number with MagicJack (an extra US$10.90 every year) does not have SMS text service. MagicJack charges extra for calling conference numbers. MagicJack (all charges in US dollar) may still be a bit cheaper overall if you buy 5 years, but 5 years is a long commitment.

MagicJack is like the AOL of internet; it is one of the (if not the) oldest original plug-n-play VoIP service, helped me get off my Bell landline, but I am looking to move on when my current 5-year service term ends.
Amerifriend threads need to include instructions on how to acquire an amerifriend. :confused:
Dec 10, 2005
718 posts
133 upvotes
GTA
Moosebox wrote: Why not just use FreePhoneLine.ca? Which is free.
This is what I was thinking. I’ve had FPL for almost 10 years I think. Bought an ATA, paid FPL for their ata access and that’s it. No bills.
Jan 9, 2003
491 posts
314 upvotes
Ajax
NikyK wrote: Thank you for the info, cause someone mentioned you have to pay also 911 Service Fee and Regulatory Compliance Fee of $2.54, so it’ll be much more then $4.95 plus tax.
Nope that's what I pay each month
Deal Addict
Jun 9, 2017
1996 posts
850 upvotes
ssiu wrote: Yes MagicJack charges 9% "administrative fee" which is ridiculous; what other companies do that and get away with it?? I try to pretend it is tax so I don't get as irked by it.

Canadian number with MagicJack (an extra US$10.90 every year) does not have SMS text service. MagicJack charges extra for calling conference numbers. MagicJack (all charges in US dollar) may still be a bit cheaper overall if you buy 5 years, but 5 years is a long commitment.

MagicJack is like the AOL of internet; it is one of the (if not the) oldest original plug-n-play VoIP service, helped me get off my Bell landline, but I am looking to move on when my current 5-year service term ends.
My 5 year is coming to an end in Feb so I like to switch to a cheaper or better option
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2012
2817 posts
2441 upvotes
Toronto
hurricane wrote: Nope that's what I pay each month
Same here, their service has been good, no issues.
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2010
22327 posts
7564 upvotes
NightRider_ wrote: I have magic Jack. I think it's still cheaper. It's $10 USD a year for same number and $39 USD for service but if you buy 5 years its cheaper
As far as I know, MJ does not work in the 807 area code if you want a local number. That's because TBaytel is an independent telephone company. I don't even think you can port the number over...
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2008
3812 posts
1229 upvotes
BargainHunter202 wrote: Use Google Voice with Obihai VoIP Adapter as home phone. One time cost for the adapter and then no further charges
I've just learned that GV support and in general support for the Obi2xx will end 2023, they also just stopped selling the Obi200 December 18 2021 and it's now EOL.

So while it's still am excellent device, if your purchasing new hardware today Obi may not be the best.
Aug 3, 2005
325 posts
27 upvotes
Vancouver
I dont understand how nobody uses freephoneline. I helped my parents set up the ATA, one time fee for freephoneline and ported number over from shaw. Ever since, no more monthly bills since 7 years ago. Throughout the 7 years, Never had an technical issues that required me to troubleshoot either.
May 25, 2008
161 posts
102 upvotes
Mississauga
NightRider_ wrote: My 5 year is coming to an end in Feb so I like to switch to a cheaper or better option
I went from magicjack to viop.ms and it is cheaper and works well other than the issues that they had in the fall.

I spent the extra saving on better internet so a win/win for us.
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2008
1139 posts
436 upvotes
Abbotsford
NikyK wrote: Anyone can comment on a quality and reliability of their service? Or Ooma is the better choice? Ty
I've used freephoneline.ca (same company as Fongo) as a 2nd line for several years . I find the call quality is much better than Ooma.

I've always found Ooma to have a very noticeable delay and really terrible quality audio. I would use Fongo for my main line, but they can't (won't) port-in numbers from my city for some reason.

I recently switched from Ooma to voipmuch.ca for just over $10 a month all in, and I've been really happy with the call quality and features included.

The tech support at voipmuch.ca is fantastic. Quick to respond and extremely knowledgeable.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)