Expired Hot Deals

Fongo

Fongo Home Phone [VOIP] - 4 Months Free Service (New Signup) - On Till Jan 9th [Extended]

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 1st, 2022 7:18 am
Nov 15, 2014
14 posts
14 upvotes
Snow Road Station, O…
I have had the Fongo Home Phone service for over a year, no issues, always reliable, easy setup (plug and play), and good price, Inexpensive Grandstream ATA shipped fast during initial setup.
Its a Canadian company, much more reliable, and your number is safer in Canada If you care about your carrier trying to play games and lock it down.
I have a UPS battery backup anyway for when the power is out for short term.

Initial Setup:
$29 for ATA
$9.95 Shipping
If you need to port your number One Time: $9.95

Monthly:
$4.95 + Tax per month.

With the 4 months free, this should be a no brainer for anyone looking for VoIP home phone, without needing to know anything technical or setting anything up.
I am in the Telecoms/IT business and even for me at home, I did not want to do any work, leave the setup / provisioning to the phone company, no hassle, IMO worth it for $4.95 per month.

Highly Recommended.
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2004
2196 posts
818 upvotes
Toronto
bylo wrote: Let me debate ;)
<snip>

Can a small player like Fongo (or voip.ms) match that?
I decided to live with the lack of POTS reliability by having a cell phone as a back up.
We all have one now anyway and you can call forward the voip line to the cell in case of no answer.

With this setup the reliability and cost of a POTS line from Bell becomes moot.
LRT: Let's Ruin Toronto
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
25126 posts
21563 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
joo wrote: With this setup the reliability and cost of a POTS line from Bell becomes moot.
Apparently you didn't read any of the part you snipped :rolleyes:
I decided to live with the lack of POTS reliability by having a cell phone as a back up.
We all have one now anyway and you can call forward the voip line to the cell in case of no answer.
No, not everyone has a cellphone these days. Some by choice. Others because there's no coverage in their area.
veni, vidi, Visa
Apr 14, 2017
712 posts
664 upvotes
NikyK wrote: Well, I wish we had a time machine Face With Tears Of Joy, but it’s almost 2022, and those are the current prices... So if we try to compare two services I would say that the Fongo is a clear winner! I couldn’t comment on a quality or reliability of any of them though... 🤷‍♀️
If we had a time machine, getting lifetime VoIP key from freephonelline for $50 would be an even better application.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
1267 posts
256 upvotes
Toronto
NikyK wrote: Thank you for the info, cause someone mentioned you have to pay also 911 Service Fee and Regulatory Compliance Fee of $2.54, so it’ll be much more then $4.95 plus tax.
No, 4.95 plus tax includes everything, including Canadian long-distance (and also free US long-distance during COVID). If you need to call overseas, by default they will automatically top up your minutes by $5 when you run low. The rates are very reasonable (most countries are 2 cents/minute).
Aug 13, 2020
999 posts
4553 upvotes
Vancouver Island
pny128 wrote: If we had a time machine, getting lifetime VoIP key from freephonelline for $50 would be an even better application.
It's $100 now..... if you start now you could break even in 5 to 10 months.

Advanced Free Phone Line Tips:

- You can change your Caller ID NAME (Not number) in the ATA setup

- FreePhone line sells you a SIP trunk (They don't call it that but that's what you get)
That means you can:
  • Use Any SIP Telephone (Grandstream, Linksys, Poly OBi, Audiocodes, etc)
  • Use a Soft Client on your Tablet/Mobile Phone to make and receive calls
  • Some Android phones have a built-in SIP Client. With these phones you can use the native "normal" dialer to call with FreePhoneLine
  • Use a free PBX (Phone System) like Asterisk

- Even if you don't need a VOiP Phone, FreePhoneLine will allow you to Forward your calls without paying a dime.
For example, if you live in Toronto, you can have an Ottawa # forwarded to you for Free,
Or you can use FreePhoneLine in the same city, forwarded to your # (Perhaps for buy/sell or if you want a different # for a business you started)

- Free phone line is great when you move to a different City, you can keep your OLD # and port it to Free Phone Line so that you can still receive calls.

- Free Phone line has a great free VoiceMail to Email. You can call forward your other #'s to Free Phoneline and use that voicemail.
Jan 28, 2009
114 posts
185 upvotes
I have been using FreePhoneLine(Fongo) for over 12 years now. Bought the unlock key for $50 back then. I had an issue once in 12 years, and that was it. It has paid for itself thousands of times and still goingSmiling Face With Sunglasses

If you are tech savvy, the unlock key for $100 still is a no brainer IMHO, but you get no support whatsoever from the company. Otherwise, the $4.95 is still good, and you are fully supported.
Mar 19, 2012
872 posts
181 upvotes
Yeap we have one. Other half insisted that we keep it for emergency. I believe we are paying $6-7 for every month.
Tjklovesthisplace wrote: People have home phoned still ?
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2008
2353 posts
2275 upvotes
Montréal
I've had freephone line.ca for years (now fongo) but they keep sending me dormant account fee bills and chipping away at my balance and its very hard to get it to stop.... Its worked well for a long time.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
25126 posts
21563 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Cocoon wrote: Yeap we have one. Other half insisted that we keep it for emergency. I believe we are paying $6-7 for every month.
Where are you getting home phone (POTS, not VoIP!) for $6 or $7 a month?
veni, vidi, Visa
Mar 19, 2012
872 posts
181 upvotes
I just checked my bill and we are paying $7.52 for our landline. We are with Telus(bundle).
bylo wrote: Where are you getting home phone (POTS, not VoIP!) for $6 or $7 a month?
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
25126 posts
21563 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Cocoon wrote: I just checked my bill and we are paying $7.52 for our landline. We are with Telus(bundle).
If I may ask, bundled with what and in which province?
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2006
3905 posts
3816 upvotes
Muskoka
Looks like Fongo comes with a Grandstream HT801 ATA (also on sale now). Is it unlocked? eg can I use it for another service if I ever cancel Fongo?
Public Mobile
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2006
3905 posts
3816 upvotes
Muskoka
IslandDeal wrote:
- FreePhone line sells you a SIP trunk (They don't call it that but that's what you get)
That means you can:
  • Use Any SIP Telephone (Grandstream, Linksys, Poly OBi, Audiocodes, etc)
  • Use a Soft Client on your Tablet/Mobile Phone to make and receive calls
  • Some Android phones have a built-in SIP Client. With these phones you can use the native "normal" dialer to call with FreePhoneLine
  • Use a free PBX (Phone System) like Asterisk
Can I use 2 of the above at the same time? Say I have 2 ATAs both logged into or assigned to same FreePhoneLine account at 2 different physical locations. When a call comes in, will it ring at both places?
Public Mobile
Mar 19, 2012
872 posts
181 upvotes
Bundle with telus tv, internet and landline and I’m in Alberta
bylo wrote: If I may ask, bundled with what and in which province?
Feb 6, 2020
586 posts
488 upvotes
spots01 wrote: Looks like Fongo comes with a Grandstream HT801 ATA (also on sale now). Is it unlocked? eg can I use it for another service if I ever cancel Fongo?
When you leave Fongo, you can submit a ticket and ask them to remove the ATA from their provisioning server. Then you can use the ATA with another service.
Feb 6, 2020
586 posts
488 upvotes
spots01 wrote: Can I use 2 of the above at the same time? Say I have 2 ATAs both logged into or assigned to same FreePhoneLine account at 2 different physical locations. When a call comes in, will it ring at both places?
No, you'd need two VoIP unlock keys. Only one device registration is allowed at any time per unlock key, and registration is needed for incoming calls to work.

If you want another device to ring, you'd have to forward the call either via the ATA (bridged call using Obihai device) or via FPL's web portal (Follow Me feature). You can bridge calls for free, when using an Obihai device, to any other device, in any location, that has another SIP service installed that accepts incoming SIP URI calls.
Feb 6, 2020
586 posts
488 upvotes
blueangel2323 wrote: By outbound call, do they mean any outbound call, including local, or do you have to use the credits on a long-distance call at least once every 60 days?
Any