Expired Hot Deals

[Fongo] Fongo wireless 5gbs and unlimited calling on app $34.95

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 11th, 2020 10:58 am
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2016
1808 posts
527 upvotes
On the Fongo site it says the app uses about 0.5 MB per minute of voice service, so even with 2GB/month, you'd have plenty of talk time, so they call it unlimited. Or perhaps they don't count data use from their app toward your monthly allotment? Anyway it's an interesting price point, but I've been with Fongo for about 2 years, only on wifi and I'd say if you want calls to be 100% reliable (and don't need much data) I'd go with Lucky Mobile's or Public Mobile's $25 plans.
Try it out on wifi with a free number first before you commit to paying monthly for this service.
Jun 25, 2018
138 posts
182 upvotes
Used Fongo for 2 years and then switched over to Public Mobile. I personally wouldn't recommend anybody using Fongo as Primary source of calls. It's very inconsistent. Sometimes it would work completely fine and some days it would not. Mostly worked better over the cellular data than wifi. Text messages were fine though. I would recommend looking into Lucky or Public Mobiles.
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2008
3642 posts
1956 upvotes
Halifax
I had a Worldline SIM card, which is a sister company to Fongo. These are the observations of Worldline data, which likely apply with Fongo data.

The Worldline SIM uses the Rogers network, there is no extended coverage option.

This is better than the 4 GB data plan in that it is prepaid, anyone can get this plan, and you can never have overage charges. The Fido SIM is better in other respects.

There is no phone number attached to this SIM card. First time I ever saw that. It works none the less.

The Public Mobile $38 plan is probably better, except the data is throttled to 3 mbit, and is slightly more expensive. In the real world, the throttle is barely an issue, certainly would not make it a reason not to buy. My Worldline plan was $20 for 5 GB, which made it a lot more desirable.

I am in Nova Scotia, where Rogers coverage is pretty weak, but I was still impressed how good the Rogers network is here. Might be because it is not over subscribed, but I am impressed none the less.

The only reason I got rid of the Worldline SIM was I already had too much data.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 19, 2005
7552 posts
832 upvotes
Waterloo
bridonca wrote: I had a Worldline SIM card, which is a sister company to Fongo. These are the observations of Worldline data, which likely apply with Fongo data.

The Worldline SIM uses the Rogers network, there is no extended coverage option.

This is better than the 4 GB data plan in that it is prepaid, anyone can get this plan, and you can never have overage charges. The Fido SIM is better in other respects.

There is no phone number attached to this SIM card. First time I ever saw that. It works none the less.

The Public Mobile $38 plan is probably better, except the data is throttled to 3 mbit, and is slightly more expensive. In the real world, the throttle is barely an issue, certainly would not make it a reason not to buy. My Worldline plan was $20 for 5 GB, which made it a lot more desirable.

I am in Nova Scotia, where Rogers coverage is pretty weak, but I was still impressed how good the Rogers network is here. Might be because it is not over subscribed, but I am impressed none the less.

The only reason I got rid of the Worldline SIM was I already had too much data.
To me I like this 5gb I'm currently paying freedom over 55 a month and still have ok service. Some areas is crap plus my freedom is up in December and don't wanna renew.

How does the phone porting work? Will fongo ways own my number if I wanted to ever port out again?
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2008
3642 posts
1956 upvotes
Halifax
sassysue wrote: To me I like this 5gb I'm currently paying freedom over 55 a month and still have ok service. Some areas is crap plus my freedom is up in December and don't wanna renew.

How does the phone porting work? Will fongo ways own my number if I wanted to ever port out again?
It is the same rules with just the Fongo app. It cost $25 to port in, nothing to port out. Unless you really hate the Fongo service, there is little need to port out, because you can use the app on another phone contract. Fongo has some decent free call forwarding features as icing on the cake!
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 19, 2005
7552 posts
832 upvotes
Waterloo
bridonca wrote: It is the same rules with just the Fongo app. It cost $25 to port in, nothing to port out. Unless you really hate the Fongo service, there is little need to port out, because you can use the app on another phone contract. Fongo has some decent free call forwarding features as icing on the cake!
Yes our home phone is with freephoneline.ca for the last 8 yrs may try to this out and see how I like it but may wait till my tabs over and I'd save an extra 50.00 a month for 2 phones...
Oct 18, 2007
509 posts
475 upvotes
Toronto
As a free app to make calls the quality isnt that great. Sound isnt crisp. Also sometimes the app logs out. If this is what their paid services are like id just go with something else
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2003
4897 posts
6941 upvotes
Vancouver
fuzionx23 wrote: As a free app to make calls the quality isnt that great. Sound isnt crisp. Also sometimes the app logs out. If this is what their paid services are like id just go with something else
Call quality anywhere outside central Ontario is pretty bad. Horrible in BC. Missed and dropped calls. Poor voice quality. SMS is a joke if you don't pay extra for it. Unreliable.

Also, consensus around here was that it even gets worse depending on phone make/models [lot of threads on the"Fongo" topic on RFD]

So YMMV.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He who gives up a little freedom to gain a little security, deserves neither and will lose both. (Benjamin Franklin)
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2008
3642 posts
1956 upvotes
Halifax
fuzionx23 wrote: As a free app to make calls the quality isnt that great. Sound isnt crisp. Also sometimes the app logs out. If this is what their paid services are like id just go with something else
I am apt to blame your phone for most of those issues. I tried Fongo on cruddy phones, and cruddy networks, and got cruddy service. I have tried Fongo on this SIM, and I have had no issues at all. Most of my phones are now good phones, my worst a LG G4, best being an LG G6. It works fine.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2003
4897 posts
6941 upvotes
Vancouver
sassysue wrote: Seems like a great deal they even have 2 gigs for 20.00 no contracts too. My son's currently on fongo and the quality of service is very good we never have no drop outs or broken calls

https://shop.fongowireless.com//?utm_source=fmnew

2 GB
Monthly Plan

Unlimited Call

With Fongo Mobile App

$19.95/Monthly

5 GB
Monthly Plan

Unlimited Call

With Fongo Mobile App

$34.95/Monthly

...For purchases that have monthly charges, Customer will be billed monthly, one (1) month in advance. All monthly Services require pre-authorized payment via credit card. A Customer who provides payment by credit card agrees to allow Fongo to bill his or her card on each successive billing date...

...Any fees and charges for the Service, Equipment or other services or products purchased under this Fongo Service Schedule are non-refundable....
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He who gives up a little freedom to gain a little security, deserves neither and will lose both. (Benjamin Franklin)
Deal Addict
Mar 15, 2008
2012 posts
634 upvotes
ShutdownX wrote: Why not just go public mobile for $38/5gb with autopay?
Or 4gb LTE for 36 with zoomer. Roaming sucks but otherwise its okay.

Its nice to see plan prices falling. The big 3 are sucking our finances dryFace With Cold Sweat
Feb 28, 2015
577 posts
405 upvotes
Toronto, ON
This is a terrible deal! I have 3GB fido data sim $15/month that I'm currently paying 0$month, with fongo free.
Dec 15, 2017
36 posts
do you have to use the fongo app or can you use VOIP.ms + zoiper for calls?
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2016
1808 posts
527 upvotes
skoalman123 wrote: This is a terrible deal! I have 3GB fido data sim $15/month that I'm currently paying 0$month, with fongo free.
I keep seeing this mythical 3GB/$15 Fido data plan being mentioned, yet there is no trace of it on the Fido site. So I guess this is something grandfathered from way back?
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2013
2569 posts
1050 upvotes
Quebec
notfromqc wrote: I keep seeing this mythical 3GB/$15 Fido data plan being mentioned, yet there is no trace of it on the Fido site. So I guess this is something grandfathered from way back?
its a line offers to sub users

So sub for a cheap line then get the 15$ plan then cancel the other line
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2003
4897 posts
6941 upvotes
Vancouver
notfromqc wrote: I keep seeing this mythical 3GB/$15 Fido data plan being mentioned, yet there is no trace of it on the Fido site. So I guess this is something grandfathered from way back?
Nothing "mythical" about it.

Quick RFD search would point you to:

fido-4gb-lte-data-plan-15-byod-no-contr ... t-2078212/

Just read OP and Thread summary carefully. It's up-to-date.
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2007
27297 posts
6858 upvotes
Hamilton
But why choose this over a actual plans out there?
$35/10GB Koodo
$40/10GB Koodo
Sep 2, 2011
14 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
If I port my current home VOIP phone number to Fongo mobile, and use an old smartphone as home phone via wifi, would fongo service more reliabale than a free number from Fongo?

I use my current home VOIP (with a traditional landline set) for intercom and libraries, banks, delivery, etc., and keep all personal contacts to my cell phone. Will Fongo replace my current home VOIP well for my purpose?

The problem with my current home VOIP is that sometimes when there is a power outage, the phone stops working even after the power is back. So I have to restart the router to bring the VOIP back to life. If the power outage happens when I am not home, I go without the VOIP phone without noticing it untill someone buzzes or calls me and tell me my phone is not working. With wifi and Fongo mobile, can I assume Fongo mobile will resume its function automatically (without restarting the router) as soon as wifi is back ?

Thank you!
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
22634 posts
17607 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
bridonca wrote: The Worldline SIM uses the Rogers network, there is no extended coverage option... I am in Nova Scotia, where Rogers coverage is pretty weak, but I was still impressed how good the Rogers network is here.
Are you sure? Fido's data plan includes free extended roaming across Canada on Bhell/Telus network. Bhell's coverage is often better on the east side of the country. Have you turned on roaming in phone Settings? Do you see an EXT or Roaming icon on your phone?
Interesting. Maybe that somehow explains the lack of extended roaming. (But also "Who is eligible for Extended Coverage? Almost all of our plans qualify for Extended Coverage. You just need to be a postpaid wireless customer with a compatible device. It’s meant for customers who live within the Rogers network and happen to travel occasionally into Extended Coverage areas outside the Rogers network... prepaid plans are not eligible for Extended Coverage.")

One advantage of Fongo's plan vs. Fido plus Fongo app is the former includes texting. With the Fongo app, outbound texting costs a few dollars a month for a subscription. (Other VoIP apps like TextNow offer free texting.)

One advantage of Fido's data plan is that they usually offer 50% or even 100% loyalty discounts for 24 months after 3 to 6 months. However like everything else with Fido, including getting the data plan without also having a cell plan with them, is that YMMV.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2015
3474 posts
1792 upvotes
Toronto, ON
This is good deal but wouldn't this be a better deal for home phone instead -> https://www.koodomobile.com/phones/wireless-home-phone

Its the Koodo Wireless home phone service, and for a limited time it's $5 a month for 12 months, then $20/month thereafter.

Not a contract, but there is a $65 device and SIM fee. I've used this service on a cell phone for unlimited calls since it also uses a SIM card but no data. The nice thing is that use your cell phone like a landline phone.

For $5 a month (12 months) not a bad deal, but considering regular price of $20 a month not really efficient as you can get with data for $35+ a month as others said.

I guess this will be a good deal for seniors who are home and they need an emergency phone line.
If you like the post or the comment, then don't forget to SMASH that LIKE BUTTON!