Expired Freebies

Fongo free calling cities Expanded!

  • Last Updated:
  • Apr 20th, 2016 9:32 pm
Tags:
None
26 replies
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 17, 2007
2116 posts
265 upvotes
NB
I'm trying to sign up and do not see NB as an option.
Deal Expert
User avatar
May 14, 2007
15222 posts
2430 upvotes
Scarborough / Markha…
where's dah deal doe...
Deal Addict
May 23, 2014
1257 posts
830 upvotes
canada
Fongo is garbage now. Text plus , next plus both offer unlimited texting and free calling if u watch ads or credits u can buy too.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2012
2484 posts
1772 upvotes
Calgary
Noticed that there appeared to be more cities on the FPL list the other day. Looks like I wasn't the only one who thought that.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 17, 2007
2116 posts
265 upvotes
NB
I used to use Convoi, but now that they want to start charging 9.99 a month, I got to find a replacement.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Oct 21, 2015
10198 posts
72692 upvotes
Ontario
Colin0317 wrote: I used to use Convoi, but now that they want to start charging 9.99 a month, I got to find a replacement.
Same here. It was a good service until they start charging $10 per month. If they go by the credits, I will keep using it.
Deal Addict
May 23, 2014
1257 posts
830 upvotes
canada
Well go go is only $2.49 right now but it will surly go up
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 23, 2008
3674 posts
2004 upvotes
Halifax
thesick wrote: Fongo is garbage now. Text plus , next plus both offer unlimited texting and free calling if u watch ads or credits u can buy too.
I like text plus, and use it, but you cannot pick or port a number. Forwarding costs a pretty penny also. Nextplus is utter garbage, but that is my personal opinion. I have a liking to for Fongo, because you can forward your number, port numbers over, and have a larger number of cities to port from. Is it perfect? No. But it is still pretty good, and cheap. To each his own, of course. And really, there is nothing stopping you from using more than one service.
Matrixvibe wrote: where's dah deal doe...
Free calling, to more places. Some people are just too jaded nowadays!
Colin0317 wrote: I'm trying to sign up and do not see NB as an option.
That is because no one cares about New Brunswick! :P I know Fongo is working on it, just the timeline is iffy. It took Fongo forever to get Halifax numbers, but they are there now.
Sr. Member
Dec 8, 2001
862 posts
175 upvotes
Ancaster
I'm using "text now". Free number, calling anywhere in North America and text with ads. 2.99/mth or 29.99/yr for the ad free version.

I'm impressed with the app. It essentially replaces the stock phone with an IP phone. The call quality is great. It's perfect for those on only a data plan. The company is also from Waterloo Ontario.
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2016
1468 posts
1123 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
Smoking hot deal, in for 10.
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 23, 2008
3674 posts
2004 upvotes
Halifax
Busiu wrote: I'm using "text now". Free number, calling anywhere in North America and text with ads. 2.99/mth or 29.99/yr for the ad free version.

I'm impressed with the app. It essentially replaces the stock phone with an IP phone. The call quality is great. It's perfect for those on only a data plan. The company is also from Waterloo Ontario.
I use Textnow, and I like it. I would love it more if I could port a number over, and $30 US for forwarding is a bit pricey, especially when Fongo does it for free. Cannot hate the free calls, texting and MMS though.

I accidentally confused Textplus for Textnow, my bad.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Feb 26, 2010
1166 posts
492 upvotes
Ottawa
Anyone know of any such services that offer FREE phone calls to Western Europe?

There was an old app (forget what it was called) that my Parents used maybe 2 years ago that worked well but as expected it eventually disappeared from the play store after less than a year.

Curious to know if there are any new alternatives.
Newbie
User avatar
May 25, 2011
5 posts
Toronto
I use TextFree (which is same as Freetone) if you subscribe to their email, you can get daily credits and with that I can text anyone internationally.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 8, 2014
21176 posts
8070 upvotes
Socially Distanced
http://www.textplus.com/ Appears to be US based, meaning free number is US number?

http://nextplus.me/coverage/ Is US based, coverage map is linked. US number again?

https://www.textnow.com Popup says "Our wireless phones and plans are currently unavailable in Canada"

Text Free https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... r.textfree - says "Textfree is the free calling, free texting and free SMS app that gives you a real US phone number."

So all these are not very useful unless all your contacts can text US numbers for free :facepalm:
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 23, 2008
3674 posts
2004 upvotes
Halifax
Quentin5 wrote: http://www.textplus.com/ Appears to be US based, meaning free number is US number?

http://nextplus.me/coverage/ Is US based, coverage map is linked. US number again?

https://www.textnow.com Popup says "Our wireless phones and plans are currently unavailable in Canada"

Text Free https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... r.textfree - says "Textfree is the free calling, free texting and free SMS app that gives you a real US phone number."

So all these are not very useful unless all your contacts can text US numbers for free :facepalm:
Textnow offers cellular service, but it is not available in Canada. Textnow also offers free calls, texting, and MMS to Canada/US from an app, and you can get a Canadian number, you just cannot port a number you like to the app.

Textplus/Nextplus is from the same company, but with a business model too annoying for me to deal with. I believe you can get limited Canadian numbers. I did not like it as much as Textnow and Fongo, so I dropped it.

I have never used Textfree. Textfree appears not to offer Canadian numbers.
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2014
1308 posts
865 upvotes
Toronto, ON
textnow: says it supports a wide variety of OS (including Windows mobile which is not supported by Fongo) but why the $2.99/mo fee and what are the credits for if texting and calling is free?
GRAMMAR: The difference between "Feeling you're nuts." and "Feeling your nuts."
Deal Addict
May 3, 2008
1062 posts
485 upvotes
Perth
I have been using Fongo for free calls for years, it's great. I use TextNow for my free texts and it's great for that. I just tried the voice call on my TextNow app but it didn't work right... issues dialing and then I couldn't hear anything, so I guess I'll stick to using Fongo for free calls.
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2006
1539 posts
1091 upvotes
Calgary
+1 for Textnow. Works great , only caveat is that you have to use it every month, otherwise you lose your number
Member
Apr 1, 2006
409 posts
2 upvotes
For those using TextNow, how is the battery consumption? I just tried it myself this afternoon and the app seems to use quite a bit of juice even when my phone is idling.

Top