[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2012
2725 posts
2307 upvotes
Toronto

[Fongo] Home Phone $4.95/m 50% off activation

Deal Link:
The one time setup costs are all discounted right now.
May be a good option for those who still pay more for their home phone, if they still have or need one.
https://www.fongo.com/home-phone/

One-time costs:

$29 (regular $59)
Fongo Home Phone Adapter

$9.95 (regular $14.95)
FedEx® Shipping & Handling3

$9.95 (regular $25)
Keep Your Existing Phone Number Port.
33 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2018
1268 posts
1966 upvotes
Not that I'm knocking your post zobi123, but I have a Samsung S6 that went off contract and I ended up getting a new phone. With that Samsung S6 I downloaded the free Fongo app and just use that off my WiFi. The bonus, you can purchase 6 months of texting for $9.99. I kicked it up a notch though. I bring the phone with me wherever I go because I installed Google Rewards. With all those reward $$, I used it to pay for texting. I've had the same Fongo number for years now and haven't "paid" for texting. Just saying, my free option might be a better choice for some.
$50 15GB data w/ Unlimited Canada Wide Talk and Text - Rogers
$22.99 1GB data w/ Unlimited Canada Talk/Text Canada - Public Mobile
$0.00 a month w/ Unlimited Canada Wide Talk / $9.99 6 months texting (FREE using Google Rewards) - Fongo Mobile App
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2018
1268 posts
1966 upvotes
Oh, on a side note, having the app is a great option as a burner phone number to give to chicks you really don't want to give your real number to. :-)
$0.00 a month w/ Unlimited Canada Wide Talk / $9.99 6 months texting (FREE using Google Rewards) - Fongo Mobile App
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2012
2725 posts
2307 upvotes
Toronto
KenAdams wrote: Not that I'm knocking your post zobi123, but I have a Samsung S6 that went off contract and I ended up getting a new phone. With that Samsung S6 I downloaded the free Fongo app and just use that off my WiFi. The bonus, you can purchase 6 months of texting for $9.99. I kicked it up a notch though. I bring the phone with me wherever I go because I installed Google Rewards. With all those reward $$, I used it to pay for texting. I've had the same Fongo number for years now and haven't "paid" for texting. Just saying, my free option might be a better choice for some.
Great point, can I have the same number on two devices?
This way I can place a phone on each floor.
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2018
1268 posts
1966 upvotes
zobi123 wrote: Great point, can I have the same number on two devices?
Honestly, I've never tried it. I just have a different number for each phone. I currently have 3 Fongo numbers.

I have an idea though... back in the day I bought something very similar to these. I connected the bluetooth from my Samsung to these. When Fongo rang, it rang on the cordless phones and I used them to talk. I had one in the living room and one in the bedroom. So that might be an option. :-)

https://www.amazon.ca/Cordless-Bluetoot ... 4920&psc=1
Sep 26, 2008
454 posts
126 upvotes
GTA
zobi123 wrote: Great point, can I have the same number on two devices?
No. The app signs you out of the first device once you log onto the second.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2012
2725 posts
2307 upvotes
Toronto
KenAdams wrote: Honestly, I've never tried it. I just have a different number for each phone. I currently have 3 Fongo numbers.

I have an idea though... back in the day I bought something very similar to these. I connected the bluetooth from my Samsung to these. When Fongo rang, it rang on the cordless phones and I used them to talk. I had one in the living room and one in the bedroom. So that might be an option. :-)

https://www.amazon.ca/Cordless-Bluetoot ... 4920&psc=1
Wow that's amazing, can I use the cordless handset to place calls too?
Apr 13, 2016
539 posts
351 upvotes
guys just get Magickjack it works out to $2-$4/mth if you pay for 3 years and the first year is free so its even cheaper

you get the app and all the benefits that forgo has as well

in fact you can get two numbers with magic jack for this price, a US number and a Canadian number with the ability to text/call using both
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2018
1268 posts
1966 upvotes
redflag0 wrote: guys just get Magickjack it works out to $2-$4/mth if you pay for 3 years and the first year is free so its even cheaper

you get the app and all the benefits that forgo has as well

in fact you can get two numbers with magic jack for this price, a US number and a Canadian number with the ability to text/call using both
I've tried Magic Jack. I would not recommend it. Only saying that because when I signed up I was supposed to get 1 year service free for purchasing the device. It said right on the box, no other purchase required. Then when I tried to set it up, they wanted to charge me an extra $20 (at the time) to get a Canadian phone number. Their customer service is horrible!! Somewhere in India as usual.
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2018
1268 posts
1966 upvotes
zobi123 wrote: Wow that's amazing, can I use the cordless handset to place calls too?
No, just to answer unfortunately.

If you don't like that route, perhaps just a bluetooth headset will be good enough.

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/pl ... k/11428776

I have this still and use it on my PS4 and it's crisp and clean. Sometimes too crisp and clean when I'm playing Call of Duty and someone says... dude, did you just fart? :-)
Deal Addict
Mar 15, 2005
2049 posts
755 upvotes
KenAdams wrote: No, just to answer unfortunately.

If you don't like that route, perhaps just a bluetooth headset will be good enough.

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/pl ... k/11428776

I have this still and use it on my PS4 and it's crisp and clean. Sometimes too crisp and clean when I'm playing Call of Duty and someone says... dude, did you just fart? :-)
There are services for different needs. What you suggested DOES NOT work for OP's situation at all.
You were still trying to make it work with Bluetooth Headset blah blah blah and there's no one-size fit all.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
5932 posts
4227 upvotes
Heard that some had issues porting out of Fongo to another carrier... Any input on this?
Jul 12, 2003
230 posts
101 upvotes
Richmond Hill
DoorCrasher wrote: Heard that some had issues porting out of Fongo to another carrier... Any input on this?
I was able to port out. It took a bit longer than it should have. I think a few weeks. There was one minor mistake they made on their end that delayed the port out. Regardless it worked.
Apr 14, 2017
680 posts
601 upvotes
KenAdams wrote: Not that I'm knocking your post zobi123, but I have a Samsung S6 that went off contract and I ended up getting a new phone. With that Samsung S6 I downloaded the free Fongo app and just use that off my WiFi. The bonus, you can purchase 6 months of texting for $9.99. I kicked it up a notch though. I bring the phone with me wherever I go because I installed Google Rewards. With all those reward $$, I used it to pay for texting. I've had the same Fongo number for years now and haven't "paid" for texting. Just saying, my free option might be a better choice for some.
If you want an app with calling and texting then check out textnow. Works great for me, I only use freephoneline on ATA now.
Deal Expert
Jan 12, 2017
15816 posts
4564 upvotes
Scarberia
can2000 wrote: The freephone line unlock key has no discount.
https://www.freephoneline.ca/optionalServices#
wow, unlock key is over 90 bucks now! used to be 50 bucks few years ago!
*SIG: Ryzen R5 2600 cpu w/ ASrock B450M OCd to 4.0ghz@1.265v stock cooler 16gb ram win10 pro w/radeon rx460 rogers Gigabit<< xb1 gamertag: mikka2017 >>
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2004
3977 posts
889 upvotes
Mississauga
Does fongo use some sort of premium route vs freephoneline?
This is something that's a choice in voip.ms
Apr 13, 2016
539 posts
351 upvotes
KenAdams wrote: I've tried Magic Jack. I would not recommend it. Only saying that because when I signed up I was supposed to get 1 year service free for purchasing the device. It said right on the box, no other purchase required. Then when I tried to set it up, they wanted to charge me an extra $20 (at the time) to get a Canadian phone number. Their customer service is horrible!! Somewhere in India as usual.
not the experience I had, but to each his own
Last edited by redflag0 on Aug 5th, 2019 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dec 23, 2008
883 posts
89 upvotes
Guelph
Still using freephone line here, has been great service. Only downside is that if Internet goes down, you don't have a working landline.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2012
2725 posts
2307 upvotes
Toronto
newgame99 wrote: Still using freephone line here, has been great service. Only downside is that if Internet goes down, you don't have a working landline.
How does the setup process work for that? What do I need to buy and is there a monthly fee?