• Last Updated:
  • Apr 9th, 2021 2:42 pm
[OP]
Sep 26, 2016
92 posts
42 upvotes

Fongo internet and phone

Not too sure where to post this.

I am interested in Fongo internet and voip phone. It would be dsl 15mbs down 1mbs up - FTTN, 2km copper wire to the house ( what I have now). No fiber or cable options here.
I am wondering if any one has these services and what your experience has been with them. Thank you.
M.M.
6 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
2438 posts
1005 upvotes
Toronto
I have the Fongo voip line. It works well but my Internet is a lot faster than yours (500 down and 20 up). A long time ago I had like 30 down and 1 up and it wasn't the best experience. If you were streaming something or downloading a large file then it will obviously affect your phone calls. Especially if you're uploading something since 1 up is really low and slow.
Last edited by ds2chan on Apr 8th, 2021 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"
Mar 7, 2008
702 posts
185 upvotes
Leask
I was disconnect on a call yesterday. Disappointing....
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2001
15911 posts
2542 upvotes
You need to prioritize VOIP traffic in your router if you have a slow connection.
Automatic down-votes: D-Link, TP-Link, Newegg, Canada Computers, any Chinese-owned cellphone, laptop or IoT device.
[OP]
Sep 26, 2016
92 posts
42 upvotes
JAC wrote: You need to prioritize VOIP traffic in your router if you have a slow connection.
Thanks for the reply.
As I am tech-dumb, is that easy to do; is it something that the isp could help me set? I believe that they use a smart RG 606 modem. How much mbps does a voip phone use?
M.M
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2001
15911 posts
2542 upvotes
MajorMarshall wrote: Thanks for the reply.
As I am tech-dumb, is that easy to do; is it something that the isp could help me set? I believe that they use a smart RG 606 modem. How much mbps does a voip phone use?
M.M
https://help.ncf.ca/images/a/a3/SmartRG ... Manual.pdf

QoS configuration instructions start on page 70.
Automatic down-votes: D-Link, TP-Link, Newegg, Canada Computers, any Chinese-owned cellphone, laptop or IoT device.
[OP]
Sep 26, 2016
92 posts
42 upvotes
Thank you.
Way over my head, but I'll try to make sense of it.
M.M.