Cell Phones

Fongo for Living Overseas Long Term? 2FA?

  • Last Updated:
  • May 27th, 2022 10:34 am
[OP]
Newbie
User avatar
Jul 17, 2019
15 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto

Fongo for Living Overseas Long Term? 2FA?

Hi rfd community,
I'll be going overseas for a few years and was looking to port my number to fongo and keep it long term. I wanted to confirm that:
1. Is it allowed to use Fongo overseas long term? I remember reading about some condition somewhere. I could use a vpn once in a while if it's necessary to keep Fongo happy.
2. How does Fongo handle 2FA nowadays? E.g. banks, CRA
63 replies
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Nov 14, 2003
5737 posts
4220 upvotes
LaLaLand
Fongo is just another voip service. I don't think they care where you're located. I've been using Google Voice for the last 10 years from Canada and abroad and it seems to be okay.

According to this support article from three months ago, it does not support sms short codes,

https://support.fongo.com/hc/en-us/arti ... ifications
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 11, 2011
1026 posts
482 upvotes
Toronto
For verification, don't banks, etc. give you an email option for verification too? Or a telephone call? Also, using a vpn to place yourself back in Canada usually solves the verification problem.
[OP]
Newbie
User avatar
Jul 17, 2019
15 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
46jimbo wrote: For verification, don't banks, etc. give you an email option for verification too? Or a telephone call? Also, using a vpn to place yourself back in Canada usually solves the verification problem.
Ah that's a good idea. I think there are still some sites (e.g. work email) that require a reverification every 3 months or so, and some that don't offer the call option, so it's just for good measure. Also, using my friend's laptop to log in to google yesterday, I was prompted for new device. Since a VPN would connect to some strange ip somewhere in canada, I would imagine it to be suspicious enough for 2fa.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Jul 21, 2021
596 posts
2108 upvotes
Does Fongo still have that caller ID problem?
Member
Jul 9, 2005
216 posts
266 upvotes
Yeah I haven't used for go in years ... Has in improved? I was having lots of issues recieving calls
Moderator
User avatar
Dec 27, 2007
22646 posts
15049 upvotes
Kitchener
Free Fongo doesn't work outside Canada (without VPN).
It will detect your IP and refuse to register.
You need to purchase the Fongo WE app ($5): https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... n_CA&gl=US (no VPN needed)
2FA is a hit and miss so I wouldn't use it for anything serious (though callback works for CRA and few banks).
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Nov 14, 2003
5737 posts
4220 upvotes
LaLaLand
aasoror wrote: Free Fongo doesn't work outside Canada (without VPN).
It will detect your IP and refuse to register.
You need to purchase the Fongo WE app ($5): https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... n_CA&gl=US (no VPN needed)
2FA is a hit and miss so I wouldn't use it for anything serious (though callback works for CRA and few banks).
Wow that's the strangest thing I've ever heard. Why would they make you pay for an app to have their service work outside of Canada?
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 10, 2018
4978 posts
1459 upvotes
does it matter?
aasoror wrote: Free Fongo doesn't work outside Canada (without VPN).
It will detect your IP and refuse to register.
You need to purchase the Fongo WE app ($5): https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... n_CA&gl=US (no VPN needed)
2FA is a hit and miss so I wouldn't use it for anything serious (though callback works for CRA and few banks).

batcave wrote: Wow that's the strangest thing I've ever heard. Why would they make you pay for an app to have their service work outside of Canada?
this is also news to me. It used to work in Asia and even in major cities in US. Have used many time but not in last 2-1/2 years.
Tried new coffee and doughnut. Found same old stale thing. expected bill of six bucks but it was 600 million. Big mistake so the guy said don't worry it is on the house. going back to McD.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 11, 2011
1026 posts
482 upvotes
Toronto
I've used Fongo while in Mexico. I think that this 'world' version exists because the app is geo-locked (you can only download it Canada). I also use Freephoneline when abroad with no issues.
Moderator
User avatar
Dec 27, 2007
22646 posts
15049 upvotes
Kitchener
Ah, so you are confirming once free fongo is up and running inside Canada it will work overseas? It might have been a glitch on my side (or perhaps VOIP lock from the foreign carrier) but it didn't work for me.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Nov 14, 2003
5737 posts
4220 upvotes
LaLaLand
I can only see the world version in my US Google account and I can only see the free version in my Canadian Google account. It still doesn't make sense to have two versions. Thinking Face
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 11, 2011
1026 posts
482 upvotes
Toronto
aasoror wrote: Ah, so you are confirming once free fongo is up and running inside Canada it will work overseas? It might have been a glitch on my side (or perhaps VOIP lock from the foreign carrier) but it didn't work for me.
Some hotel wifi blocks voip calls, I hear.
[OP]
Newbie
User avatar
Jul 17, 2019
15 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
aasoror wrote: Free Fongo doesn't work outside Canada (without VPN).
It will detect your IP and refuse to register.
You need to purchase the Fongo WE app ($5): https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... n_CA&gl=US (no VPN needed)
2FA is a hit and miss so I wouldn't use it for anything serious (though callback works for CRA and few banks).
batcave wrote: Wow that's the strangest thing I've ever heard. Why would they make you pay for an app to have their service work outside of Canada?
callernamet wrote: this is also news to me. It used to work in Asia and even in major cities in US. Have used many time but not in last 2-1/2 years.
So I just sent in my transfer to fongo request and noticed rfd had new notifications. Seeing these comments went from despair to elation. I feel like I've used the normal fongo app outside of canada before too. Anyway Fingers crossed that this porting works first
.
[OP]
Newbie
User avatar
Jul 17, 2019
15 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
Ok just ported in to fongo and tried all my 2fa. CRA 2fa text does work. In fact most of them worked e.g. banks, credit card, questrade etc. Even if text doesn't work, the calls will 99% work. Also a tip for porting in to Fongo, depending on your old provider, you might get an authorization text immediately or the day after around 10am EST. It came at 10:05 sharp but I missed it on the pacific coast.
Member
Jan 17, 2018
345 posts
217 upvotes
JackS43816 wrote: Ok just ported in to fongo and tried all my 2fa. CRA 2fa text does work. In fact most of them worked e.g. banks, credit card, questrade etc. Even if text doesn't work, the calls will 99% work. Also a tip for porting in to Fongo, depending on your old provider, you might get an authorization text immediately or the day after around 10am EST. It came at 10:05 sharp but I missed it on the pacific coast.
Does it work with PayPal 2fa?
[OP]
Newbie
User avatar
Jul 17, 2019
15 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
CaptainD wrote: Does it work with PayPal 2fa?
That's actually the only one it didn't work with I think. By the way, I think they pushed a free 30-day texting package on me when I ported in. Stupid question but I can still receive texts without the package right? I just wouldn't be able to send. (I'm 99% sure it was like this but paranoid haha)
Member
Jan 17, 2018
345 posts
217 upvotes
JackS43816 wrote: That's actually the only one it didn't work with I think. By the way, I think they pushed a free 30-day texting package on me when I ported in. Stupid question but I can still receive texts without the package right? I just wouldn't be able to send. (I'm 99% sure it was like this but paranoid haha)
You can still receive texts from people without a texting package, but there's mixed experiences receiving 2FA codes without a texting package/ad removal.
Member
Jan 17, 2018
345 posts
217 upvotes
I don't know if I would rely on fongo for living overseas long term.

I read somewhere (google play store?) that a user's account was closed because they were using it while mostly living abroad.
[OP]
Newbie
User avatar
Jul 17, 2019
15 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
CaptainD wrote: I don't know if I would rely on fongo for living overseas long term.

I read somewhere (google play store?) that a user's account was closed because they were using it while mostly living abroad.
Yeah I guess there's some risk there, but it would basically just be there to receive 2fa occasionally. I'll try to stick to google voice for actual calls probably. As the the texting package, luckily its only 20 a year.

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)