Cell Phones

Fongo for Living Overseas Long Term? 2FA?

• Last Updated:
  • May 27th, 2022 10:34 am
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29711 posts
29135 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
ahoroba wrote: good luck convincing your bank/brokerage or CRA to send verification codes to a foreign cellular number.
TD, TDDI and even CRA send 2FA SMS to me on my US Google Voice number. That's likely because of Canada's close connection with the US (e.g. snowbirds) as well as the common country code +1.

But I agree that this likely doesn't hold for other countries. And it probably doesn't even hold for all Canadian financial institutions with US numbers.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2018
6329 posts
2526 upvotes
does it matter?
ahoroba wrote: You totally missed the purpose of this thread. Even if living abroad, you still need to interact online with Canadian financial institutions, pay taxes in Canada, authentify yourself for various apps, etc.
You can get a cheap foreign SIM, but good luck convincing your bank/brokerage or CRA to send verification codes to a foreign cellular number.
really?
I have 3 Asian numbers registered and verified for this reason with TD. Plus Fongo and TD authenticate.
About CRA I have not tried to change phone number yet. I dont mess around in CRA system and local is better.
"Laws for thee but not for me!" I will keep on jet-setting around the world. Spend as much as I can and enjoy vacations Free at Friends estate. Do as I do not as I say. I used to pay for my vacation until I met my hero.
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2005
2751 posts
2992 upvotes
callernamet wrote: really?
I have 3 Asian numbers registered and verified for this reason with TD. Plus Fongo and TD authenticate.
About CRA I have not tried to change phone number yet. I dont mess around in CRA system and local is better.
You are just lucky to bank with TD, one of the very few banks that accepts foreign and VOIP phone numbers for authentication. Your situation is far from typical, no need to go on forums and contradict valid general advice that applies to 90% of Canadian population that does not bank with TD.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2018
6329 posts
2526 upvotes
does it matter?
ahoroba wrote: You are just lucky to bank with TD, one of the very few banks that accepts foreign and VOIP phone numbers for authentication. Your situation is far from typical, no need to go on forums and contradict valid general advice that applies to 90% of Canadian population that does not bank with TD.
really?

no need to make statements like this⬇. case closed.

but good luck convincing your bank/brokerage or CRA to send verification codes to a foreign cellular number.
"Laws for thee but not for me!" I will keep on jet-setting around the world. Spend as much as I can and enjoy vacations Free at Friends estate. Do as I do not as I say. I used to pay for my vacation until I met my hero.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)