Site Comments & Suggestions

Fonts are all messed up all of a sudden - why?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 12th, 2021 6:40 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Dec 14, 2017
455 posts
484 upvotes

Fonts are all messed up all of a sudden - why?

Any reason why RFD's fonts would start looking blurry? Other sites are fine, just RFD... using Firefox.
24 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2011
3820 posts
9997 upvotes
>er YEG pi-r-sq'd
I may be losing it or spending too much time on this forum but has anyone else noticed that the bolded unread thread titles in each forum look a little different lately? The edges on the font letters don't seem that crisp and has an old dot-matrix look to it.

If you look at the screenshot below, you'll see that the "C" in Costco in the 2nd thread and CBSA in the 4th thread looks like they have a vertical white band cutting through it whereas the "C" in the read thread PC Optimum has no band.

If it matters, I'm using Firefox on desktop.

Anyone else notice this or am I just seeing things?
Images
  • RFD Font Blurry.jpg
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
15421 posts
29345 upvotes
Scarborough
Now you've got me squinting at my monitor and second guessing myself on a Friday night. :lol:

I think I notice what you're describing, but I can't say for sure if it's new or if it's always been this way. There was a small site update mid-week but as far as I know it shouldn't have affected the thread title font. I'll inquire about this on Monday and post an update then.
RFD Staff - Have a question? Send me a PM
[Forum Rules] [Deal Alerts] [Thread Hiding]
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2011
3820 posts
9997 upvotes
>er YEG pi-r-sq'd
TomRFD wrote: Now you've got me squinting at my monitor and second guessing myself on a Friday night. :lol:

I think I notice what you're describing, but I can't say for sure if it's new or if it's always been this way. There was a small site update mid-week but as far as I know it shouldn't have affected the thread title font. I'll inquire about this on Monday and post an update then.
Thanks Tom. I was going to post this a few days ago but forgot.

Maybe you're right that it's always been this way but something just feels different. It could also be that my eyes haven't fully returned to normal after playing No Frills Aisles of Glory for 2 weeks. ;)
Apr 26, 2010
669 posts
1245 upvotes
Alberta
I'm on Firefox too and noticed it as well for the past two days or so! I thought I had to clear my cookies or something.
[OP]
Dec 14, 2017
455 posts
484 upvotes
Yep, I've noticed this too and made a post about it!
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2011
3820 posts
9997 upvotes
>er YEG pi-r-sq'd
7865875 wrote: Yep, I've noticed this too and made a post about it!
I swear I looked to see if anyone else posted this and did not see your thread.

I'll report my thread as a duplicate and see if it can be merged with yours, as I want to make sure the attached photos stay with the topic.

Thanks!
[OP]
Dec 14, 2017
455 posts
484 upvotes
trystee wrote: I swear I looked to see if anyone else posted this and did not see your thread.

I'll report my thread as a duplicate and see if it can be merged with yours, as I want to make sure the attached photos stay with the topic.

Thanks!
All good - I made the thread in an incorrect forum and the post got moved here!
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
6142 posts
3004 upvotes
Toronto
7865875 wrote: That's not it... currently at 100%.
I'm seeing the same thing on Chrome. Not all fonts, though - all the text on this page, everyone's replies etc. look fine to me. It seems to be just thread titles on an actual forum page that look funky.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2014
1456 posts
1220 upvotes
Yeah, noticed this a few days ago. I was wondering if something changed on my end.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2005
1491 posts
116 upvotes
Some more data -- it seems like for unread titles, the text font that's being loaded is now is "Open Sans" with an font-weight of 600, but before it used to be "Open Sans SemiBold" with the same weight (used archive.org to hit up a random snapshot of the Hot Deals forum from last year).

So the new hard-to-read font is because it's a forced bold on a non bold font...

Old titles: https://imgur.com/ZnAa9Ym
New titles: https://imgur.com/2vDkhT1
Administrator
Feb 13, 2013
41 posts
51 upvotes
Toronto
Hi everyone! I've been digging into the issue this morning to see if there was anything our dev team had changed in the last few days. It turns out this is likely not due to an issue on RFD, but an issue with the webfont we're using.

As other people in the thread have mentioned, we use Open Sans for the forum listings. More specifically, we use Open Sans as provided by Google Fonts, our webfont provider. A new version of Open Sans went out a few days ago, and it has a bug you might recognize:

https://github.com/google/fonts/issues/3876

I've confirmed this issue in two ways. First, just like akwok, I hit archive.org to check older versions of the site. It turns out the URLs for the Open Sans WOFF2 files changed in the last week; before we were loading v23 of Open Sans, and now we're loading v26. v26 is the version noted in the bug above that has the issue with improper anti-aliasing.

Second, I put together a testbed page and manually included the font files for both v23 and v26. You can see both versions of the font inside Firefox on Windows, and it looks very similar to some of the screenshots posted in this thread. I've attached an image below illustrating the difference on Open Sans Semibold.

We think this is an issue that mostly affects Windows machines. The maintainers of the Open Sans repository noted the issue and pushed a fix two days ago, so we're hoping Google Fonts will update the version they serve to their clients shortly. Should this not happen in a timely manner, we'll look into other options for restoring the old font rendering, but for now we can only ask for patience and offer our apologies for the hassle. We'll keep an eye on this issue and post an update if we learn more about timelines.

As an aside, if you'd told me last week that I'd be worried about breaking changes in a FONT update, I probably wouldn't have believed you!
Images
  • image (16).png
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2005
3288 posts
243 upvotes
Markham, Ontario
It looks very pixelated for some odd reason.
Administrator
Feb 13, 2013
41 posts
51 upvotes
Toronto
Hi all,

Quick update on this. Google Fonts still hasn't updated so in the meantime we've pushed a temporary workaround for the problem live, currently targeting Windows users (Mac users appear to be unaffected). This should take effect immediately if all goes well. Please let us know if you continue to see issues.
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2005
3288 posts
243 upvotes
Markham, Ontario
Doesn't seem to be working. Already tried clearing cache, incognito, other chromium-based browsers, and Firefox.
BTW Windows user.