Expired Hot Deals

[Fonus] Fonus - unlimited phone plan US$ 30

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 8th, 2020 5:19 pm
Dec 18, 2017
959 posts
1982 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
rogosteve wrote: Everyone here should join the Reddit group to see if he goes through with his offer.
I disagree. It’s possible that he’s trying to create more buzz just to con more people. Asking people to give up $40 for a non-existent product mirrors exactly what he did with Neptune - he didn’t deliver.

There are other ways to amuse yourself than to throw $40 at some vaporware and join just to see if he pulls a rabbit out of his hat.

I’m seeing too many flags in the way he’s executed so far. And I definitely don’t like the way he conducts himself around skeptics. If you have $40 to throw away, I’d say eat your heart out. And I hope you’re right for doing so.
Don't request PMs in your signature - Mods
Nov 26, 2019
1 posts
This is a fraud. None of the three carriers in China ( China mobile, China unicom and China telecom) has ever signed any roaming agreement with foreign carriers under 5G now. even for their domestic customers, data plan is not unlimited.
Dec 11, 2013
103 posts
40 upvotes
Whitby
vancityguy0 wrote: I disagree. It’s possible that he’s trying to create more buzz just to con more people. Asking people to give up $40 for a non-existent product mirrors exactly what he did with Neptune - he didn’t deliver.

There are other ways to amuse yourself than to throw $40 at some vaporware and join just to see if he pulls a rabbit out of his hat.

I’m seeing too many flags in the way he’s executed so far. And I definitely don’t like the way he conducts himself around skeptics. If you have $40 to throw away, I’d say eat your heart out. And I hope you’re right for doing so.
Throw your money at a charity or into savings.

It's not an introductory offer, so I'm not clear why he's even taking payments at this point. If the skeptics are wrong, you can get the deal at the same price when it launches.

Sounds like he's white labelling a Roaming SIM and his partners will likely have an issue with it being used for permanent roaming anywhere.

EDIT: This wouldn't be the first permanent roaming product in Canada, and all the others were shut down. The MNO can terminate the roaming agreement based on commercial terms, and I'm almost certain that the terms would not allow for direct sale to Canadian residents for the purposes of permanent roaming.
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2013
1566 posts
673 upvotes
Markham
He says he finishes his meetings for today and will be posting photos of said SIMs and FAQ as promised according to his Reddit post.
cd ~/cloudbox
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2013
1566 posts
673 upvotes
Markham
Simon has shared a photo of the sim card

Please note the version you guys will receive will have the red/orange fonus logo printed instead of this generic text. The logo will be laser etched to the card.

cd ~/cloudbox
May 24, 2017
453 posts
323 upvotes
GTA
Mr. Tian,

How about free SIM card and 6 months free service for anyone that has posted in this Forum. Very simple. No crazy trips, etc.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
20036 posts
13379 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
anescapedconvict wrote: Free trip to HK for someone who wants to see if this is a scam :D

https://www.reddit.com/r/Fonus/comments ... ut_this_i/
Yeah, I saw that. If he's got enough cash to send us all to HK then why does he need us to crowdsource his product?

Oh, and the FAQ that he promised to post on "Tuesday" is still AWOL. (And people called me negative when I asked Simon which Tuesday he meant.)

Pass the popcorn. This is going to be an Oscar-worthy saga.
veni, vidi, Visa
Dec 31, 2006
266 posts
185 upvotes
For what it's worth, Simon Tian seems to have made connections in person with individuals with deep roots and are very active in Canada's startup industry. I wouldn't mind using my credit card to make purchase. I appreciate the research and skepticism that has fueled the discussion here.
Images
  • upload.jpg
Deal Addict
Mar 6, 2002
1154 posts
462 upvotes
Vancouver
Free trip? This should be posted in the Hot Deals forum. Lol
Nov 27, 2019
1 posts
2 upvotes
Nonsense. Australia has similar if not lower population density. Big country with harsh natural environment and very few people.

I lived in Australia for 7 years. I was on Telstra, the best network in the country, paid A$15 (=C$12) per month for 2GB data. Same thing costs at least C$45 in Canada. And don't forget all prices in Australia already include taxes.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
2108 posts
961 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
canada2expensive wrote: Nonsense. Australia has similar if not lower population density. Big country with harsh natural environment and very few people.

I lived in Australia for 7 years. I was on Telstra, the best network in the country, paid A$15 (=C$12) per month for 2GB data. Same thing costs at least C$45 in Canada. And don't forget all prices in Australia already include taxes.
A majority of Canadians that fall back on the 'this country is too big and lacks population density' argument has been brainwashed for way too long by the telecommunication industry.

A report that I read from about 5 years ago stated that it cost Rogers, Bell, and Telus about $0.05CAD to deliver 1GB of data (total cost after factoring in salary, energy consumption, etc.) to their customers, and this cost decreases on a yearly basis due to technology advancements.

I don't think I need to explain how grossly marked up their services are.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
20036 posts
13379 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
AsianXL wrote: A majority of Canadians that fall back on the 'this country is too big and lacks population density' argument has been brainwashed for way too long by the telecommunication industry.

A report that I read from about 5 years ago stated that it cost Rogers, Bell, and Telus about $0.05CAD to deliver 1GB of data (total cost after factoring in salary, energy consumption, etc.) to their customers, and this cost decreases on a yearly basis due to technology advancements.

Same with texts that consume almost no data. See e.g. "More recent estimates in 2011 estimate that cost anywhere from 1/1000 of a penny to 0.008 cents. So, if wireless carriers priced text messaging at their actual wholesale cost, we would pay approximately one to eight cents for 1,000 text messages." That's 2001. Imagine how much lower that is today.
veni, vidi, Visa
Aug 24, 2018
93 posts
26 upvotes
Langley BC
AsianXL wrote: A majority of Canadians that fall back on the 'this country is too big and lacks population density' argument has been brainwashed for way too long by the telecommunication industry.

It's called capitalism. We are charged this much because they decided that we can pay this much.
What is the cheapest plant for telus? $70 ?! meaning if you can't pay it.....go fish.
Some can pay it, some (like my 75y old neighbor who doesn't know better and pays for that plan and had no idea that she is paying for internet) pays it because of that.
The $35 T&T&Pay as you go is all the option you have left.
Capitalism.