[Fonus] Fonus - unlimited phone plan US$ 30

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 3rd, 2020 3:25 pm
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
19654 posts
12753 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
wartune123 wrote: Holy smoke this is funny as well, it's basically 3G network speed.
It's all irrelevant in any case because the MVNO Simon claims he's using with that SIM is different from the MVNOs he claims he'll be using with the SIMs he claims he will ship to customers in midend-Dec...
veni, vidi, Visa
Sep 1, 2009
308 posts
235 upvotes
gta
bylo wrote: No surprise...

In any case the SIMs Simon Says he's shipping are for a US-based MVNO. But overnight he's announced a new roaming agreement with China Unicom and Softbank. So that means that whatever the first batch of SIMs do (or not) is irrelevant because that's not what he will actually deliver if/when he actually delivers something.

Assuming Simon is operating in good faith rather than performing in a new production of Reddit Theatre™ he's essentially doing product development and prototyping in public.

You couldn't make up this entertainment if you tried.

What a gong show...

I guess, I became the first fonus subscriber who got a free sim and free service for the life and countless job offers Face With Tears Of Joy to be a part of fonus ( I have literally lost counting after five )
And I haven’t even checked where my express post for a free sim at.
Can’t wait to do a sim review and see if fonus is real deal or not.
“I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.”-John Galt 😎
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2017
1613 posts
1050 upvotes
c0mputer wrote: I guess, I became the first fonus subscriber who got a free sim and free service for the life and countless job offers Face With Tears Of Joy to be a part of fonus ( I have literally lost counting after five )
And I haven’t even checked where my express post for a free sim at.
Can’t wait to do a sim review and see if fonus is real deal or not.
Ask him if job offers are also “free market” and sell your job offers for $$$. Face With Tears Of Joy
Sep 1, 2009
308 posts
235 upvotes
gta
IEpicDestroyer wrote: Ask him if job offers are also “free market” and sell your job offers for $$$. Face With Tears Of Joy
Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
“I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.”-John Galt 😎
Dec 4, 2019
2 posts
Hey i decided to give it a try and order the sim. I payed on paypal which went to my mastercard. I got an email from fonus saying thanks for your payment. Then 3 hours later they sent an email payment didnt go through. I checked paypal and my cc and both did go through. So now what there is no number to call or follow up. Did i just get screwed? Anyone else have the same problem?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 11, 2003
6419 posts
1254 upvotes
Anggies wrote: Hey i decided to give it a try and order the sim. I payed on paypal which went to my mastercard. I got an email from fonus saying thanks for your payment. Then 3 hours later they sent an email payment didnt go through. I checked paypal and my cc and both did go through. So now what there is no number to call or follow up. Did i just get screwed? Anyone else have the same problem?
I would go straight to the source here and ask the CEO, CFO, CTO, VP HR, VP Marketing what the situation is with your payment.
------He who dares, Rodders, he who dares------

Heatware Feedback eBay Feedback
X360 Live Gamertag: Frenzied360
Aug 7, 2018
31 posts
12 upvotes
Anggies wrote: Hey i decided to give it a try and order the sim. I payed on paypal which went to my mastercard. I got an email from fonus saying thanks for your payment. Then 3 hours later they sent an email payment didnt go through. I checked paypal and my cc and both did go through. So now what there is no number to call or follow up. Did i just get screwed? Anyone else have the same problem?
Sorry you're in this situation - I hope you get this sorted out.

For people on the fence about taking the gamble, this is the perfect example of why you shouldn't.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
19654 posts
12753 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Don't despair. If you don't get the SIM or if it doesn't work as advertised you can do a chargeback to get your money back.

I would get screen shots of Fonus' website that shows what they promise in case you need documentation for PayPal or MC. You might also want to grab copies of relevant Reddit threads in which Simple Simon Tian makes promises about the SIM and the service.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2017
1226 posts
403 upvotes
Already did that. In return Bitched about being on vacation and then said anyone who bagged him for shipping info is a loser and if they want customer service go to Rogers.
mark_in_2k wrote: I would go straight to the source here and ask the CEO, CFO, CTO, VP HR, VP Marketing what the situation is with your payment.
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2005
1635 posts
930 upvotes
You guys should get yourself a refund or issue a chargeback asap. Over on http://old.reddit.com/r/fonus, some people aren't getting their refunds.
I'll Keep It Short and Sweet. Family, Religion, Friendship ... These Are the Three Demons You Must Slay if You Wish to Succeed in Business
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
2045 posts
905 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Legit or not, Simon is an idiot that fails on execution and professionalism. Avoid at all cost.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
19654 posts
12753 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
AsianXL wrote: Legit or not, Simon is an idiot that fails on execution and professionalism. Avoid at all cost.
That was evident on day one. It's become even more evident as this saga unfolds and what Simon Says keeps changing, sometimes by the hour. I never understood why people were so anxious to sign up and send money for such an ambiguous service offered by someone with such a shady past who didn't have contracts with carriers in place and who couldn't demonstrate even a basic version of what he was offering. From what I can tell, not only has the situation not gotten better in the past month and half, it's actually gotten worse.
veni, vidi, Visa
Jun 14, 2017
110 posts
111 upvotes
I am surprised that this thread ended up at +45 when it is such a questionable "hot deal" at best. I assumed it was fraud after doing some quick research on Simon Tian.

This thread is a good example of why down-voting can provide value to RFD forums. It didn't quite work here, but this thread would be closing in on +100 without down-voting.

I haven't followed RFD forums for long, but this "hot deal" is probably the biggest disappointment that I've ever seen listed here in positive territory. Best case scenario is getting your money back with minimum hassle.

I am curious if/when Simon will end up in jail.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
19654 posts
12753 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
pbtech wrote: I am surprised that this thread ended up at +45 when it is such a questionable "hot deal" at best.
I was astounded that so many people were willing to spend US$30 for the SIM plus US$30 for the first month for something that didn't exist, couldn't be explained in any logical fashion, e.g. who was providing the roaming, and didn't seem possible at such a low price.
This thread is a good example of why down-voting can provide value to RFD forums. It didn't quite work here, but this thread would be closing in on +100 without down-voting.
Really? Unless you open the thread and look carefully at the OP, it looks like 90 upvotes, i.e. a resounding endorsement of an apparently hot deal. It's only when you see the 45 downvotes (about 1 in 3 votes) and start reading the thread, post by post, does it become apparent that this isn't a (a) a product, (b) a deal, let alone (c) a "hot" deal.
I am curious if/when Simon will end up in jail.
You'd have to demonstrate that he started Fonus with the intention of scamming/defrauding people. At this point what I see is someone how jumped the gun in announcing a new phone service, before he'd lined up carriers, roaming agreements, SIM supplier, order fulfillment, etc. He had a concept but hadn't tested it, yet was selling it. This isn't much different than a KickStarter campaign that isn't billed as such. No doubt he's a bumbling idiot who has no business sense or professionalism. But that's a long way from proving fraud let alone justifying a staycation at HM Gaol.
veni, vidi, Visa
Jun 14, 2017
110 posts
111 upvotes
bylo, I think you misunderstood me on the down-voting point. I was just surprised that it didn't work well in this instance. Normally down-voting fixes fake "hot deals".

I think that Simon's intention is to make money off of the sale of the SIMs with no intention of providing the product that he has promised.

If I started selling tickets to heaven, with the full intention of providing that product but without any research, testing, etc.......something tells me I would end up with criminal charges resembling fraud.