[Fonus] Fonus - unlimited phone plan US$ 30

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 31st, 2020 7:33 pm
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
19868 posts
13097 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
pbtech wrote: bylo, I think you misunderstood me on the down-voting point. I was just surprised that it didn't work well in this instance. Normally down-voting fixes fake "hot deals".
OK, I understand and agree. It's also one reason why I think downvoting is of limited value.
I think that Simon's intention is to make money off of the sale of the SIMs with no intention of providing the product that he has promised.
Suppose he sells 1,000 SIMs before it becomes apparent that he can't deliver any service. Assuming those SIMs cost him zero (probably under $1 including shipping) then he get $30k. Even an astounding 10,000 SIMs would raise only $300k. That hardly seems worth the effort, let alone the risk of serious consequences like jail.
If I started selling tickets to heaven, with the full intention of providing that product but without any research, testing, etc.......something tells me I would end up with criminal charges resembling fraud.
Charges are one thing. Securing a conviction is quite another. Proving intent to defraud as opposed to trying but failing to deliver is difficult. But IANAL.
veni, vidi, Visa
Jan 14, 2017
481 posts
221 upvotes
I've been following this saga from the start. Very entertaining to see a scam artist operating in real time.

From what I've seen, Fonus is doing just enough to stay legal, at the same time making off with what ever money they can get their hands on much like a failed kickstarter.
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2007
26373 posts
4673 upvotes
Hamilton
Any updates?
$35/5GB Koodo
$120/3Months PM
Jan 1, 2012
498 posts
112 upvotes
Sainte-Therese
The people on reddit recommending everyone to chargeback at this point
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2017
1230 posts
404 upvotes
just got banned from telegram after i was threatened refusal of service if i kept asking questions.
this simon dude needs a lesson in customer service.
what startup treats their early adopters like this after broken promise over and over.
STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY.

I ordered on the 23rd... since then I have sent 4 emails, 4 dm's on reddit, asked 5 @direct questions in telegram and 7 dm's in telegram all unanswered.
This is just a delay and forget tactic from a sleazball. In what world does a business operate like this?
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
19868 posts
13097 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
techjedi wrote: In what world does a business operate like this?
In this world. And he's done it before, e.g. Neptune. I have no idea if he's a fraud artist or just a bumbling idiot who has no idea how to start a business (or if he suffers from some psychological condition that makes him operate the way he does.)

My advice is to contact your credit card company (or PayPal) and do a chargeback ASAP. Live an learn.

Even if Fonus eventually materializes (which I doubted all along and even more now) you can always sign up again.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2016
1281 posts
1385 upvotes
ROFL its so obvious its a scam at this point and that Simon guy is a terrible scam artist but I guess it proves how gullible people are.
Nov 8, 2005
737 posts
120 upvotes
Ryder Nation
I got banned on Telegram last week for asking for a refund.

The CEO, Simon got upset and put my full name, address and public information for everyone to see on the Chat group. Who knows who else has my info at this point.

Does anyone know if this breaks any laws?

I'm in like the 5th phase of chargeback for this. Wasn't as easy as initially thought. The CEO, Simon Tian responds instantly to all chargeback requests.

Fonus is a complete scam, strongly advise everyone to start chargebacks as soon as possible.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
19868 posts
13097 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Gunz16 wrote: The CEO, Simon got upset and put my full name, address and public information for everyone to see on the Chat group.
Sleazy behaviour on Simon's part. That's neither new nor surprising.

What else (i.e. "public information") did he post?
veni, vidi, Visa
Jan 19, 2020
1 posts
1 upvote
flaming homer wrote: Too good to be true ?

https://mobilesyrup.com/2019/11/21/worl ... -launches/

Edit: Added list of free "roaming" countries

*The 40 countries or territories where customers may roam without additional charges are: Albania, Australia, Brazil, Canada, China, Czech Republic, Egypt, Faroe Islands, Fiji, Germany, Ghana, Greece, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, India, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Jordan, Malta, Mexico, Netherlands, Northern Cyrpus, New Zealand, Pakistan, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Qatar, Romania, South Africa, South Korea, Spain, Thailand, Turkey, Ukraine, United Kingdom, United States, US Virgin Islands.

I loved it how there is almost no detailed information other than an amazing price and still gets down-voted at least once....
almost four months since I paid for my SIM card and haven't received it, so yep - it's a scam.
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2005
1637 posts
933 upvotes
petegoldberg636833555376801007 wrote: almost four months since I paid for my SIM card and haven't received it, so yep - it's a scam.
You can issue a chargeback and get your money back.

https://old.reddit.com/r/Fonus/comments ... d_to_know/
The first thing you need to know is that if you ordered physical goods and they do not arrive within the timeframe promised (and if a tracking number was provided it doesn't show in transit) the merchant is required to refund you.

Based on Fonus promise of "order now and receive your sim within 30 days" anyone who ordered before Dec, 4 2019 should be eligible for a refund.

You should first contact the merchant via any mean that is provided in your order confirmation or their website contact section to request a refund.

You do not need to run after the business on social media or chat apps

If the merchant doesn't respond or denies you the refund you should contact your credit card company to file a chargeback or dispute.

You'll have to send them copies of your order details as well as the shipping time that was promised.

They will reach out to the merchant with an option to either accept the dispute or offer a rebuttal.

If the merchant offers a rebuttal you still have the right and chance to challenge it, don't be lazy pick up the phone and talk to a human being at the dispute department and explain your situation again.

You can also ask them to put the merchant on a three way line with you so that they can listen in on the conversation.
I'll Keep It Short and Sweet. Family, Religion, Friendship ... These Are the Three Demons You Must Slay if You Wish to Succeed in Business
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
19868 posts
13097 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
The CRTC have taken notice and are investigating Fonus and CEO Simon Tian

Someone on Reddit decided to report Fonus to the CRTC. Here's the response he got from a CRTC official:
CRTC wrote:After having a look at the Fonus.me website, I notice that they offer telecommunication services in Canada, but notice they are not registered with the CRTC. All entities who provided telecommunications services in Canada are required to register with the Commission prior to providing telecommunications services. Entities are also required to comply with the consumer safeguard regulatory obligations.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
2089 posts
947 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Simon Tian is still sending me emails about the 'delayed' Sim card shipping since December. Blaming it on the Coronavirus. This guy is shameless.