Expired Hot Deals

[Fonus] Fonus - unlimited phone plan US$ 30

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 8th, 2020 5:19 pm
Mar 22, 2007
89 posts
233 upvotes
Well, after all of this I got my SIM today. I was also one of the 500 people that got "lifetime" free service, so I'm waiting to hear back from whoever is over there to get this set up. I'm most definitely not going to pay another $30 to activate this thing.
Feb 16, 2018
147 posts
70 upvotes
neilio wrote: Well, after all of this I got my SIM today. I was also one of the 500 people that got "lifetime" free service, so I'm waiting to hear back from whoever is over there to get this set up. I'm most definitely not going to pay another $30 to activate this thing.
Lifetime free service. Yeah right ..... Go call Simon scam
Jan 28, 2005
83 posts
2 upvotes
I received three sim cards: All activated and no issue to call canada and us.
Data is unlimited - kids use it to watch youtube on road.No issue.
The download speed is around 50M in my area, some area in downtown can reach 200M, But 50M with unlimited data are good for me enough.

This is not scam.

Time to stop big three in Canada.....
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
20035 posts
13377 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
ottawausite wrote: This is not scam.
No one can say that for sure yet whether Simon is legit, a fraudster or merely an inept idealist.

To answer that question...
1. Until we can travel outside Canada again we don't know if or where this SIM will roam.
2. Until this card has been operational for a while we don't know for how long Simon's service arrangements with AT&T and Robbers will last.
3. Until this card has been operational for a while we don't know for how long Simon's international roaming arrangements will last.
4. Even if 1., 2. and 3. prove positive we don't know if Simon can hold the US$30 ~CA$42 monthly cost. With relatively few users so far, Fonus may be flying under the telcos' radar. As more people sign up and start pushing the service we'll find out how robust the service arrangements really are.
5. Still no reviews from any reputable media source. Why not if this is such an industry changer?
As always, I wish Simon the best, despite his hamfisted way of doing business. But we're still a long way to finding out if he's the big disrupter that he and his fans seem to think. I'll be happy to have my skepticism proven wrong.
veni, vidi, Visa
Aug 7, 2018
31 posts
12 upvotes
As long as Fonus is not listed under the CRTC's website, it's a scam
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
20035 posts
13377 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Sephur wrote: As long as Fonus is not listed under the CRTC's website, it's a scam
Neither are all the 1,000s of foreign SIMs that roam in Canada using arrangements with the big-3 Canadian telcos. So that alone doesn't make Fonus a scam any more than everyone from Google Fi to Burkino Faso Telmob are scams.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2016
1293 posts
1404 upvotes
ottawausite wrote: I received three sim cards: All activated and no issue to call canada and us.
Data is unlimited - kids use it to watch youtube on road.No issue.
The download speed is around 50M in my area, some area in downtown can reach 200M, But 50M with unlimited data are good for me enough.

This is not scam.

Seen the Reddit seems like they changing their pricing scheme. Also dunno if it's true but I think the lifetime thing is gone because he didn't get enough good publicity. I'm all for not supporting the big 3 but fonus not going to be my way to do it.
Dec 15, 2012
587 posts
253 upvotes
Toronto
bylo wrote: No one can say that for sure yet whether Simon is legit, a fraudster or merely an inept idealist.

To answer that question...
1. Until we can travel outside Canada again we don't know if or where this SIM will roam.
2. Until this card has been operational for a while we don't know for how long Simon's service arrangements with AT&T and Robbers will last.
3. Until this card has been operational for a while we don't know for how long Simon's international roaming arrangements will last.
4. Even if 1., 2. and 3. prove positive we don't know if Simon can hold the US$30 ~CA$42 monthly cost. With relatively few users so far, Fonus may be flying under the telcos' radar. As more people sign up and start pushing the service we'll find out how robust the service arrangements really are.
5. Still no reviews from any reputable media source. Why not if this is such an industry changer?

As always, I wish Simon the best, despite his hamfisted way of doing business. But we're still a long way to finding out if he's the big disrupter that he and his fans seem to think. I'll be happy to have my skepticism proven wrong.
1. I was in the US and it worked just not everywhere else since they changed it and what not so only US CAN MEX for now
2. so far 3rd month on it no issue but hey 30$USD a month so far not a bad deal I've streamed about 10GB when I did live video, I'll continue to use it for now (I ported my primary number to a VOIP like Textnow etc.) so that's how I get my phone calls.
3. no real international arrangement doesn't work anywhere else other than CAN US MEX
4. dunno
5. not trying to defend them or anything just stating what is possible is that COVID was a real thing that caused the delay? according to what's going on lately many people are getting sims and maybe within a week or two reputable media sources will receive it hopefully?

I do hope that it lasts TBH and for 30$USD to try to take down big 3 I'm game.
Jan 1, 2012
498 posts
112 upvotes
Sainte-Therese
It's a scam because it is a scam, and yes at&t works in canada we don't need phonus to tell us that
Feb 16, 2018
147 posts
70 upvotes
Guys, we shouldn't be support this scam company and Simon Tian period!!! Especially during tough times like this, scam is the last thing we want.
Dec 31, 2006
757 posts
282 upvotes
got my sim today not expecting this to be a long term thing but it works for now
Sep 1, 2009
309 posts
236 upvotes
gta
mike10 wrote: got my sim today not expecting this to be a long term thing but it works for now
Hey, have you figure it out about, how to make this roam for bell/Telus and Rogers ?
Please let me know when you get your second SIM card.
Latest I heard is, Now it Roams across all three ( actually , four ) and will stay on whichever has best reception in your area.

Again , I am not a fonus customer or an employee. Just want to catch up with few people I know and if, I could help with get their GPv2.0 (guitar picks ) working.
“I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.”-John Galt 😎
Jun 1, 2020
1 posts
Just received our sims in Canada. And activated it. It gives a USA number but is free. And you can’t port your old number yet they said.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
2108 posts
961 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
I'm a bit reluctant to activate it. Who knows if this service will last even a year from now. Fonus is not listed as a certified partner by any of the carriers he listed on his website. That's a huge red flag to me.