330 posts
201 upvotes

$19.95 10 lb Standard Lawn Grass Seed

Expiry:
April 14, 2021
Retailer:
Food Basics
Decent deal on grass seed.

I think this is 10lb of Speare Seeds' Premium Mixture, sold for $32 elsewhere.

40% Coated Kentucky Bluegrass
40% Creeping Red Fescue
20% Turf-type Perennial Ryegrass

Last edited by thefragger on Apr 10th, 2021 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
62 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2006
2757 posts
1488 upvotes
Barrie
Not quite as good as the CT See price about a week ago but still good. Thanks for sharing OP
Aug 25, 2011
250 posts
259 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
Is this seed better than the Scotts seed sold in Costco?
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2017
1903 posts
186 upvotes
Is it too late to seed in the spring? Should one wait till fall now to reseed?
Aug 25, 2011
250 posts
259 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
reggyDeal wrote: Is it too late to seed in the spring? Should one wait till fall now to reseed?
It is said from late April to early May
Nov 18, 2009
264 posts
146 upvotes
bullbell wrote: Is this seed better than the Scotts seed sold in Costco?
I can't speak from actual experience using this seed, however, I will say I contacted Spear Seeds asking if they sold to the public as I wanted to buy direct from them. They have a good reputation apparently. Their correspondence left a little to be desired. $19.99 is a good price for 10LBS of seed IMHO. I'm going to be trying to buy a bag or two! Good ratio mix as well. No annual Rye and 40% KBG.
Aug 25, 2011
250 posts
259 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
Kerberos wrote: I can't speak from actual experience using this seed, however, I will say I contacted Spear Seeds asking if they sold to the public as I wanted to buy direct from them. They have a good reputation apparently. Their correspondence left a little to be desired. $19.99 is a good price for 10LBS of seed IMHO. I'm going to be trying to buy a bag or two! Good ratio mix as well. No annual Rye and 40% KBG.
Just checked my Scotts supreme 3.8kg bag. It contains the same three types of grass seeds but does not say anything about the ratio.
Oct 6, 2020
365 posts
625 upvotes
How does this compare to the Scotts at Costco??..I assume the scotts is better?
May 26, 2020
4 posts
14 upvotes
Just picked up a few bags, thanks OP! This is a good price for a 10lb bag of quality seed that I've had success with. I usually get Speare at a garden centre, so surprised to see it at Food Basics.

See below for a postcard from Speare that I got last year on some info on the different seed species...might help some people out. Kentucky Bluegrass does take longer to establish FYI (but it is lush!!!)
thumbnail_IMG_2724.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_2725.jpg
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2006
2757 posts
1488 upvotes
Barrie
teedomo88 wrote: How does this compare to the Scotts at Costco??..I assume the scotts is better?
Do not assume Scott's is better just because it has a name brand on it. You have to investigate the blend percentages.
Deal Addict
May 4, 2014
4878 posts
6166 upvotes
Toronto, ON
RunnerForDeals wrote: Do not assume Scott's is better just because it has a name brand on it. You have to investigate the blend percentages.
People get too obsessed over KBG... unless you are prepared to do regular watering, KBG is actually not great.
Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2014
3389 posts
1357 upvotes
Toronto
NotJoPapa wrote: Thanks OP! I’ll be picking up a couple bags. I’ve had really good success with this blend. Just an FYI, these are all cool season grass seeds, so best to set in the fall.
I'm looking to plant some grass to minimize growth of weeds in my backyard - which is currently patches of exposed dirt. Should I wait to fall to plant these or can I plant them now before weeds start growing?
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2017
1903 posts
186 upvotes
er34er34 wrote: People get too obsessed over KBG... unless you are prepared to do regular watering, KBG is actually not great.
What grass would you recommend for Northern GTA climate?
Deal Guru
Jul 8, 2009
10944 posts
5160 upvotes
teedomo88 wrote: How does this compare to the Scotts at Costco??..I assume the scotts is better?
Dont assume that,i would say this stuff is by far 100% better. Always had issues with costco stuff and thought thats just how grass seed was until buying the canadiantire gold green and then this seed posted here. Wont buy the scotts anymore.
ING Direct since the beginning! Tangerine to the end!
Public Mobile user!
EQ BANK!! SIMPLii !! Tangerine!!
Buy first think later!
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2009
2126 posts
2750 upvotes
GTA
er34er34 wrote: People get too obsessed over KBG... unless you are prepared to do regular watering, KBG is actually not great.
reggyDeal wrote: What grass would you recommend for Northern GTA climate?
KBG = high maintenance/water, but looks best if you put in the effort and pay the water bills. needs full sun. spreading, so it fills in holes
creeping red fescue = fine fescue; most fescue grow in clumps, so you need to overseed them after a while. this one is creeping. this is a grass that grows in shade and doesn't like full sun
perennial ryegrass = fast germinating, so you see results fast. KBG seeds take longer to germinate, so don't ease up on watering just because you see the ryegrass sprouting

This is a mix of grasses designed to basically work; in full sun, the KBG will take over and the fine fescue will die out, in shade the opposite. the ryegrass is in between the two
There are also tall/course fescues that need less water than KBG, but are clumping, not creeping. Less water/maintenance, but you will need to overseed eventually to help fill in bare spots. sun/some shade.
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2005
1894 posts
1237 upvotes
Elfwood wrote: I'm looking to plant some grass to minimize growth of weeds in my backyard - which is currently patches of exposed dirt. Should I wait to fall to plant these or can I plant them now before weeds start growing?
From what I read last year fall is best if you don't want weeds. Spring is worst.
Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2014
3389 posts
1357 upvotes
Toronto
djpr wrote: From what I read last year fall is best if you don't want weeds. Spring is worst.
So I should buy this bag and wait until Fall to plant it? And just deal with weeds for this spring/summer?
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2005
1894 posts
1237 upvotes
Elfwood wrote: So I should buy this bag and wait until Fall to plant it? And just deal with weeds for this spring/summer?
Why not plant in spring and fill in during fall?