Expired Hot Deals

Food Basics

4.54 kg (10 lb) Basmati rice for $5.99

  • Last Updated:
  • Jul 30th, 2020 1:00 am
25 replies
Newbie
May 30, 2019
42 posts
61 upvotes
SohSay wrote: Good value for money.
Starts July 30
Great price but it’s for 10 pounds not 2.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2006
2063 posts
447 upvotes
Anyone try this brand? Good bad or ??? TIA
It used to be only death and taxes were inevitable. Now, of course, there's shipping and handling, too.
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19526 posts
2240 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
MJB wrote: Anyone try this brand? Good bad or ??? TIA
Yeah would like to hear from long time Basmati rice eaters as it's not a type of rice I've eaten a lot to know quality from substandard ones.
Good price though but when I buy on the rare occasion it's the Tilda brand.
Member
User avatar
Jul 17, 2019
221 posts
333 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
I got this as my usual one was oos, just ok I would say. I did not like it too much.
😎 Money Saved is Money Earned 😎
Member
Nov 3, 2018
382 posts
764 upvotes
How safe is rice from India? I usually buy California rice.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 1, 2007
3784 posts
1026 upvotes
Scarborough
Supercooled wrote: Yeah would like to hear from long time Basmati rice eaters as it's not a type of rice I've eaten a lot to know quality from substandard ones.
Good price though but when I buy on the rare occasion it's the Tilda brand.
It's not great. Tilda, Lal quilla, India gate are probably top 3.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Jul 15, 2009
515 posts
1141 upvotes
Toronto
supremePug wrote: How safe is rice from India? I usually buy California rice.
Seriously? India has long been the rice producing capital of the world (along with China). This is like asking if French wine is any good or safe, since you've only drunk local wine sold in a carton from a convenience store.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2006
2063 posts
447 upvotes
anatman wrote: Seriously? India has long been the rice producing capital of the world (along with China). This is like asking if French wine is any good or safe, since you've only drunk local wine sold in a carton from a convenience store.
I always have a supply of India basmati rice. Usually Tilda, India gate *or others?)
I don't usually buy the cheap ones as the quality is not there and it takes me a bit to go through 10 lbs.

Usually I will ask my friends who purchase more often than I what brands are better. Sometimes a brand that used to be good will no longer be recommended.
I may depend on how long it is aged... which is usually a few years
It used to be only death and taxes were inevitable. Now, of course, there's shipping and handling, too.
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19526 posts
2240 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
MJB wrote: I always have a supply of India basmati rice. Usually Tilda, India gate *or others?)
I don't usually buy the cheap ones as the quality is not there and it takes me a bit to go through 10 lbs.

Usually I will ask my friends who purchase more often than I what brands are better. Sometimes a brand that used to be good will no longer be recommended.
I may depend on how long it is aged... which is usually a few years
Didn't realize rice goes through aging process. I thought they were susceptible to becoming rancid as the oils come out.

I currently have some left of a red label / bag I bought from Walmart about a month ago. Tastes pretty good, on par with Tilda but I don't have the most discerning taste.

Regarding this deal, I'll probably pick up a few bags since Basmati isn't a staple pantry item for me although I would like to change that going forward. I think incorporating different varieties makes cooking and ultimately enjoying more of what you cook.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2016
3407 posts
2169 upvotes
Mississauga
Supercooled wrote: Didn't realize rice goes through aging process. I thought they were susceptible to becoming rancid as the oils come out.

I currently have some left of a red label / bag I bought from Walmart about a month ago. Tastes pretty good, on par with Tilda but I don't have the most discerning taste.

Regarding this deal, I'll probably pick up a few bags since Basmati isn't a staple pantry item for me although I would like to change that going forward. I think incorporating different varieties makes cooking and ultimately enjoying more of what you cook.
Yup. Rice gets better the year after harvest. Rice from the same year's harvest will not taste the same and will also be more sticky.
But it also does not mean that 10-15 year old rice will even be better. It does not age and get better like alcohol or wine. Lol. Usually a year or two old rice is the best.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Aug 27, 2012
5912 posts
1213 upvotes
Toronto
please do not buy this brand of rice, it is definitely cheap, but doesnt cook well.

spend $2-3 more and buy other brands on sale.

EDIT: this noor rice $5.99 goes on sale almost every 2 to 4 weeks.
Last edited by test9251 on Jul 29th, 2020 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2017
1178 posts
1056 upvotes
Lal Qilla Traditional Old Malai Dehraduni costs more and has been recommended to me by several Indian shop keepers. It all I buy now. $24 a bag sometimes more or less. Can be hard to find.
Jr. Member
Nov 18, 2016
184 posts
211 upvotes
Toronto
It's way better then selection/ no name brand. Quality for the price is the best. If Tilda is a 10, and no name/ selection are a 6, this is 8.5.
No problems with cooking in instant pot.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2016
2022 posts
2103 upvotes
Toronto, ON
It's a decent brand of rice. No issues. Been buying it for a few years now at about 6 bux a bag. Cooks well in rice cooker, good aroma and length. Decent food for the price.
Jr. Member
Nov 6, 2014
189 posts
276 upvotes
GTA, ON
How is this Noor brand compared to Qilla (is it the same as Lal Qilla?) for sale at $8.88 from Freshco?
Images
  • qilla.JPG
Member
Mar 21, 2005
216 posts
82 upvotes
I found Costco Kirkland basmati rice was top quality. If you don’t mind paying $15 try it. I think it tastes and smells like the basmati rice I used to eat as a kid 25+ years ago.

Top