Expired Hot Deals

[Food Basics] Almonds 7% cheaper than Costco

  • Last Updated:
  • Mar 22nd, 2019 9:38 pm
Newbie
Jan 10, 2017
33 posts
14 upvotes
I believe Costco Business Centre carries Yupik 3kg for ~30. Not sure if they are steam treated or with ppo though.
Jr. Member
Nov 27, 2016
146 posts
107 upvotes
m8x 1a3
Leverage wrote:
Mar 20th, 2019 7:32 pm
An unknown brand being 7% cheaper than Costco's consistent quality just isn't worth the risk.
Agreed, if you have already paid the fee to shop there. However, this is another example of Cosco failing to sell items (in bulk) at a discount to the prevailing market price, which is the whole point of paying the annual fee.

Clearly I no longer have a card, but I am quite happy to mooch off someone who does.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2005
7228 posts
1736 upvotes
We get our almonds, walnuts and pecans from Costco, cannot beat the price and quality but of course if one won't care much if they don't shop there.
"Leaders who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people who have nothing to say"
Member
Jul 11, 2007
379 posts
67 upvotes
GTA
TomLafinsky wrote:
Mar 20th, 2019 10:29 pm
According to the EPA, propylene oxide is a group B2 probable human carcinogen.

Group 1: Carcinogenic to humans
Group 2A: Probably carcinogenic to humans
Group 2B: Possibly carcinogenic to humans
Group 3: Unclassifiable as to carcinogenicity in humans
Group 4: Probably not carcinogenic to humans
thanks, I think the PPO probably only apply to RAW almond. roasted almond will get roasting (heated) treatment and the temperature shall be sufficient for pasteurization ? eitherway, I am happy to know costco does not use PPO ! quality is unbeatable!
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2008
2569 posts
898 upvotes
TomLafinsky wrote:
Mar 21st, 2019 4:26 pm
You know, to all people who are concerned about carcinogen products...

A little reminder that alcoholic beverages are classified by the International Agency for Research on Cancer as a Group 1 (Carcinogenic to humans). So it looks to me that you more likely to get cancer from consuming alcohol than eating any types of almonds.
Absolutely, but people that consume alcohol aren't doing it for the health benefits because there arguably aren't any. Almonds are considered to be healthy and most people that consume them are completely unaware of pasteurization and it's potential health risks.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
8027 posts
1176 upvotes
Toronto
Nations in Toronto has loose bulk almonds for $4.99/lb starting Friday.
In the past these have come in bulk boxes and the brand has been Blue Diamond from California.
Not sure about the specifics, whether steamed or PPO though.
I did pick up some walnut halves this past week from Nations at $4.99/lb and they were pretty good.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 9, 2012
2175 posts
1043 upvotes
Kitchener
Leverage wrote:
Mar 20th, 2019 7:51 pm
An RFDer without a Costco membership? That goes against our core values of having a Koodo cancelled tab Samsung/iPhone/Huawei with a 3 GB Fido tablet data plan while living in the GTA only. (Not outside, assume everyone is always in the GTA!)
Quoted for accuracy.
How can we fly like eagles, when we're governed by Turkeys?
Sr. Member
Oct 7, 2009
625 posts
272 upvotes
Toronto
BigRedSS wrote:
Mar 20th, 2019 11:52 pm
Costco Canada says they use steam pasteurization if that makes you feel better:
Hopefully this is still true in 2019 since it was answered in 2015.
I am a Public Mobile subscriber
I am a Koodo subscriber
Newbie
Nov 20, 2005
46 posts
27 upvotes
Dartmouth
It most likely is still true. If you click the link you can see where they confirmed again in 2016 and 2017 and stated they have always been steam pasteurized. They would need a good reason to switch.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2003
2775 posts
736 upvotes
I used to buy these Costco ones but I wasn't getting back the value of the Costco membership every year, they kept moving the bags around the store (which drives me nuts - pun intended - when I'm just trying to get in and out) and the customer service personnel at most Costco locations are a special breed of moronic. I have been buying from Loblaws instead:

https://www.loblaws.ca/Food/Pantry/Baki ... 0976591_EA

I roast them myself (takes 20 mins including cooldown). IMO, the quality of the almonds and the end results (from roasting yourself) is better than what you get at Costco.
Jr. Member
Apr 2, 2009
108 posts
21 upvotes
Toronto
TomLafinsky wrote:
Mar 22nd, 2019 9:23 am
If you consume something like alcohol that is known to cause cancer in humans it doesn't make a great deal of sense to be overly concerned about another product classified as possibly carcinogenic to humans.

It's like someone who smoke two packs of cigarettes per day and then wonder if the air he will breathe when going to a bar might have an impact on his health.
You're making an argument that would make sense if the people were necessarily the same. Since they aren't, your argument isn't valid.

Top