Automotive

Food delivery driver: Shut the car off or leave it running each time?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 3rd, 2021 10:49 am
Deal Fanatic
Jun 13, 2010
6568 posts
8334 upvotes
GTA
It's illegal to leave your vehicle idling for more than 1 minute in Toronto. Other areas range from 1-10 minutes. Doing it for 45 minutes is insane/irresponsible.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
3241 posts
2106 upvotes
Markham
Who cares what others are doing. Most drivers are stupid....never check fluids, never read owner's manual, never check tire pressure, distracted driving, etc.
Do what is right and right for you.
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
18024 posts
10827 upvotes
Ottawa
engineered wrote: Yea, I can't remember the last time I've heard of car post 2000 with a failed starter, let alone a post 2010 car. It used to be a problem that you'd be almost guaranteed to have the start fail under 200k KM. My 20 year old BMW with 240k KM is still on original starter.
except stupid Honda with their defective starters https://topclassactions.com/lawsuit-set ... -coverage/
I replaced ours recently.
Please update your profile to include your city. It's helpful when you post about something regional ucp.php?i=ucp_profile&mode=profile_info
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
26899 posts
11332 upvotes
Socially Distanced
engineered wrote: Yea, a bigger concern than starter issues is theft. A friend of mine just had their work van and tools stolen, because he went inside for 2 min to sign in with a customer. Now it's looking like insurance won't cover him since he left the car running with the keys in it. It's pretty stupid to risk theft over worry of a starter motor.

And what's up with people with luxury cars doing gig work? Talk about budget ballin. If they're looking to make money they'd be better off selling the Range Rover and buying a Corolla. I can't imagine they're making money, starter motors or not.
All the gig drivers i see are miserable and incredibly rushed. I bet they need to move at warp speed just to break even.
Operating costs are their big money suck so its likely you are correct.
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people
[OP]
Sep 4, 2016
885 posts
347 upvotes
engineered wrote: Yea, a bigger concern than starter issues is theft. A friend of mine just had their work van and tools stolen, because he went inside for 2 min to sign in with a customer. Now it's looking like insurance won't cover him since he left the car running with the keys in it. It's pretty stupid to risk theft over worry of a starter motor.

And what's up with people with luxury cars doing gig work? Talk about budget ballin. If they're looking to make money they'd be better off selling the Range Rover and buying a Corolla. I can't imagine they're making money, starter motors or not.
Did your friend lock his door? I see so many gig workers not lock their doors and even run up in apartments.

These budget ballers you see doing gig work in luxury cars still need to make their monthly payments plus insurance and gas. I have a friend who drives a 2019 BMW X5 (financed brand new) and has been doing skip for the past year with it
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
19685 posts
23067 upvotes
GTA
DiamondDallasPage wrote: Did your friend lock his door? I see so many gig workers not lock their doors and even run up in apartments.

These budget ballers you see doing gig work in luxury cars still need to make their monthly payments plus insurance and gas. I have a friend who drives a 2019 BMW X5 (financed brand new) and has been doing skip for the past year with it
Nope. He admits it was dumb to do. Lesson learned.

Can you even profit doing that with a luxury car, with premium gas, expensive maintenance? Or are they just looking to recoup some costs?
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
[OP]
Sep 4, 2016
885 posts
347 upvotes
engineered wrote: Nope. He admits it was dumb to do. Lesson learned.

Can you even profit doing that with a luxury car, with premium gas, expensive maintenance? Or are they just looking to recoup some costs?
Even with a locked car, I always worry about smash and grabs. And why I always watch the car really close and it has to be within 50ft from me with a clear vision of sight.

I don't think you can profit with a luxury car especially one that is high maintenance like a Range Rover. I'm confident to say that most gig workers using luxury new cars are putting every penny to their car payment and insurance just to get by and not be in the rears on payments. Most gig workers I've seen drive their deliveries as fast as they can, so they're fuel costs are going to be way up. And I haven't met one gig worker who locks their door when they leave their running car.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2009
5196 posts
4947 upvotes
GTA
jayoldschool wrote: Many municipalities have laws that prohibit idling. Besides putting wear on your engine, getting zero MPG, polluting... you're risking a ticket. Turn your car off.
What about cops idling V6 cruisers for 8hrs non stop during " road work" duty?? Oh, that's ok, they are on paid duty. Hippocrates.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
19685 posts
23067 upvotes
GTA
Tommy74 wrote: What about cops idling V6 cruisers for 8hrs non stop during " road work" duty?? Oh, that's ok, they are on paid duty. Hippocrates.
You want them to wait 5 min for thei engine to warm up before chasing an offender?
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2009
5196 posts
4947 upvotes
GTA
engineered wrote: You want them to wait 5 min for thei engine to warm up before chasing an offender?
They can only chase orange vests around the excavator. I'm talking about road work assignments. Construction company "rents" police officer for "safety assistance". He sits in the idling cruiser for 8hrs browsing his phone while they shovel the dirt.
Images
  • E0FEFB7D-1B3A-4309-AE45-EAB1741B142B.jpeg
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2007
2574 posts
3306 upvotes
Toronto
DiamondDallasPage wrote: I don't think you can profit with a luxury car especially one that is high maintenance like a Range Rover.
I'm confident to say that most gig workers using luxury new cars are putting every penny to their car payment and insurance just to get by and not be in the rears on payments.
Things change, especially now, during covid. One day you are a high roller in RR, the next your CERB runs out.
I wouldn't ride for Uber, unless this was the very last resort for sure.
However, we do have RFD member, who paid off his TM3 in less than 2 years, by doing this. But he lives in Kitchener, which is different from Toronto.
P.S. Last time I took Uber was 3-4 years ago, and it was disgusting.
In the snowstorm guy took us on the Gardiner, and he didn't even bother filling up his windshield washer fluid.
I'm pretty sure he was an ex-taxi driver.
I said to my GF, this is the last time ever we are riding in Uber.
Well, today I was in a bind, and called Uber again.
Once again, it was disgusting too. Thank god, the ride was only for 5 minutes.
I should have just walked.
I guess Uber doesn't care about their star system anymore.
So, Im pretty sure there's a certain demand for premium Uber rides in the high end cars.
May 27, 2017
361 posts
566 upvotes
xrvr wrote: Things change, especially now, during covid. One day you are a high roller in RR, the next your CERB runs out.
However, we do have RFD member, who paid off his TM3 in less than 2 years, by doing this. But he lives in Kitchener, which is different from Toronto.
In the snowstorm guy took us on the Gardiner, and he didn't even bother filling up his windshield washer fluid.
So, Im pretty sure there's a certain demand for premium Uber rides in the high end cars.
I’m doing uber in model3 as well, compared to a ice car my operating costs are next to nothing and it gives me a chance to get out once the wife is a sleep lol

Tesla model 3 gets premier status on uber which = premium rides, but they’re pretty rare so I do mostly uberX. For uberX riders I don’t give a shit no ac or heat for y’all broke folks lolz..

what do you expect when ur paying half the price of a taxi, i do take uber from time to time and never had a issue with cleanliness.

I would love to see you take a taxi and let us know how it was, you’ll be running back to uber so quick lol
Deal Expert
Oct 5, 2008
16999 posts
12398 upvotes
Toronto
xrvr wrote: Things change, especially now, during covid. One day you are a high roller in RR, the next your CERB runs out.
you must be a cab driver.

I've never been in a dirty Uber....but I have been in several disgusting cabs.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2009
4129 posts
4354 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Lolvtec wrote: I’m doing uber in model3 as well, compared to a ice car my operating costs are next to nothing and it gives me a chance to get out once the wife is a sleep lol

Tesla model 3 gets premier status on uber which = premium rides, but they’re pretty rare so I do mostly uberX. For uberX riders I don’t give a shit no ac or heat for y’all broke folks lolz..

what do you expect when ur paying half the price of a taxi, i do take uber from time to time and never had a issue with cleanliness.

I would love to see you take a taxi and let us know how it was, you’ll be running back to uber so quick lol
I would be pretty annoyed as a passenger if there was no heat or no ac tbh, do you get 5 star reviews? Otherwise agree with you.

I guess people are happy to ride in a Tesla haha.
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2011
2150 posts
753 upvotes
hierophant wrote: It's a no brainer. Shut off the car...you know the thing called climate change? Shocking you have to even consider it let alone ask.

But since so many don't care about our environment another reason why you should is insurance, if it gets stolen.
Save on the gas, it is as pricey as gold.
Regard to global warming, All I know is today is colder than both roman warm period and medieval warm period, so keep your window shut, OP.
Images
  • 978-1-4020-3266-0_13_Part_Fig1_HTML.jpg
<signature removed>
[OP]
Sep 4, 2016
885 posts
347 upvotes
We ended up calling "on call" service a couple nights ago and a new driver showed up in a BMW X7 lol...looked newer too, 2015 and newer. She comes in, waits patiently (about 15mins) for her order and I walk out, her car is running the entire time. I look inside and she has her kid in the front seat! I couldn't believe it. 100% her doors were unlocked so anyone walking by could have just hopped in the drivers seat and taken her car and her kid. Well wait, people are stupid so I could believe it. BMW X series suck on gas, I've driven one for a couple of days. Not sure why anyone would use it for deliveries.
"It took eight years for DDP Yoga to become an overnight sensation" - Diamond Dallas Page
May 27, 2017
361 posts
566 upvotes
Ecsta wrote: I would be pretty annoyed as a passenger if there was no heat or no ac tbh, do you get 5 star reviews? Otherwise agree with you.

I guess people are happy to ride in a Tesla haha.
I drive for money not stars I don’t give a F about rating

people love the Tesla, it’s different from your regular Toyota Corolla or Camry that you usually get on uber so I guess that’s why
May 27, 2017
361 posts
566 upvotes
DiamondDallasPage wrote: We ended up calling "on call" service a couple nights ago and a new driver showed up in a BMW X7 lol...looked newer too, 2015 and newer. She comes in, waits patiently (about 15mins) for her order and I walk out, her car is running the entire time. I look inside and she has her kid in the front seat! I couldn't believe it. 100% her doors were unlocked so anyone walking by could have just hopped in the drivers seat and taken her car and her kid. Well wait, people are stupid so I could believe it. BMW X series suck on gas, I've driven one for a couple of days. Not sure why anyone would use it for deliveries.
I’ll do ubereats if it’s slow on rides, the pay depending on tip is much better than rides