• Last Updated:
  • Mar 12th, 2021 6:25 pm
Deal Guru
May 6, 2005
11907 posts
1734 upvotes
GVR

Food processor buying advice?

Looking to pick up a food processor, but have never owned one before. Any starting advice? I live on my own, and mainly unsure of what size to get.

Will the larger capacity handle small quantities well, or would you need a smaller one for that?

Would be looking to handle anything from simple quick veggie chops to making flours/nut butters to kneading dough

Seems you can get some pretty affordable ones, and then some veryyy expensive ones!
5 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2011
4989 posts
29911 upvotes
Food processors are very simple machines and meant for high volume. Don’t go too complicated usually an on/off and a pulse option. I prefer the lever switch styles as they are mechanical switches compared to electronic buttons (less to go wrong with).

This is basically very similar to what I’m using now, great for shredding cheese and all sorts of hard veg. Even comes with a dough blade.

This one looks like it’s on sale.

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/cuis ... #store=273
__
Want to know the latest Costco Clearance items and prices in Ontario.. check out my thread here.
Deal Guru
Jul 7, 2017
10212 posts
5525 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Watch the quality of the plastic (bowl, cover). A lot of them are unfortunately somewhat brittle and prone to cracking. This includes long-time KitchenAid CuisinArt and B&D.
Last edited by thriftshopper on Mar 11th, 2021 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2011
4989 posts
29911 upvotes
I’ve had my cusininart for over 12yrs no issues, just make sure the bowl is a thicker plastic if you go with another brand.
__
Want to know the latest Costco Clearance items and prices in Ontario.. check out my thread here.
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
21699 posts
17373 upvotes
Markham
There's obviously a tradeoff...small is better if you're doing smaller batches and big is better if you're doing bigger batches.

Having said that you can always do two small batches to make one big batch so for your situation, I think smaller is better....probably 7cup.

Kijiji is a great place to buy these BNIB, or very lightly used as ppl buy/have and rarely use em....you should be able to find a good one for $50 - $75 if you're patient. You can tell if it's been heavily used usually just by looking at the clarity of the bowl IMO.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Addict
May 21, 2015
1293 posts
952 upvotes
Sarnia, ON
Being as you've never had one I wouldn't go out and spend a lot. I'd go for something like this Cuisinart on sale now at Can Tire. and see how you like it, will you even use it that much. You can probably find even cheaper ones new. Your text to link here...