Food & Drink

Food Products: It's official - They're getting smaller and smaller.

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 29th, 2020 4:11 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
43435 posts
6689 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
bylo wrote: Did you measure black and white? By how much (percentage) is white smaller?

One reason for the colour change is that it isn't viable to recycle black plastic. Most people don't know black plastic isn't recyclable in Toronto | CBC News
Oh crap! I’m part of the problem! I’ll definitely start though.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2013
1556 posts
1862 upvotes
Scarborough
UrbanPoet wrote: Oh crap! I’m part of the problem! I’ll definitely start though.
It's misleading on the part of the companies that bring in the products with black plastic packaging that clearly have the three continuous arrows in the triangular pattern of the recyclables symbol on them to accept that form of product labelling/identifiers to places like Toronto where it isn't accepted. They should be exclusive to such receiving such products to avoid so much mix up because most people just take them as recyclable because of the symbol marked on them.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
20755 posts
14653 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Strafe1 wrote: It's misleading on the part of the companies that bring in the products with black plastic packaging that clearly have the three continuous arrows in the triangular pattern of the recyclables symbol on them to accept that form of product labelling/identifiers to places like Toronto where it isn't accepted. They should be exclusive to such receiving such products to avoid so much mix up because most people just take them as recyclable because of the symbol marked on them.
Correct. But even municipalities that accept black plastic don't like doing so. Apparently they have to process that plastic separately. I'm not sure of the exact reasons but it contaminates the other plastics, perhaps from the black dye.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
16077 posts
3501 upvotes
Toronto
bylo wrote: Correct. But even municipalities that accept black plastic don't like doing so. Apparently they have to process that plastic separately. I'm not sure of the exact reasons but it contaminates the other plastics, perhaps from the black dye.
NO.
It's because the optical sorting machine can not see black.

SO, back to products getting smaller, yes, the white containers are most likely smaller, but they are recyclable.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2013
1556 posts
1862 upvotes
Scarborough
bylo wrote: Correct. But even municipalities that accept black plastic don't like doing so. Apparently they have to process that plastic separately. I'm not sure of the exact reasons but it contaminates the other plastics, perhaps from the black dye.
It could so easily be fixed if they would rid outright of black plastic, just replace it with any of the accepted lighter colours. Just like we know black garbage bags are not accepted to put recyclables in to drop off for collection. Don't know why they even bother with black coloured plastic if it's an issue for them.
Mar 12, 2018
202 posts
215 upvotes
Nestle downsized all their chocolate bars by the looks of it. I thought maybe it was just a Dollarama exclusive thing, but saw them at 2 other grocery stores as well. Smarties are so small they're almost a square box now.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
9278 posts
1709 upvotes
Toronto
I don't normally buy orange juice, but just noticed in this week's flyers that both Tropicana and Simply Orange seems to have reduced their bottle size from 1.75 litres down to 1.54 litres.
The No Frills and Metro Flyers have the Simply Orange and the Food Basics flyer has the Tropicana.
If I were to buy Orange juice though I'd probably go with President's choice.
Never tried the Irresistibles brand but they have an organic option.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
16077 posts
3501 upvotes
Toronto
gh05t wrote: I don't normally buy orange juice, but just noticed in this week's flyers that both Tropicana and Simply Orange seems to have reduced their bottle size from 1.75 litres down to 1.54 litres.
The No Frills and Metro Flyers have the Simply Orange and the Food Basics flyer has the Tropicana.
If I were to buy Orange juice though I'd probably go with President's choice.
Never tried the Irresistibles brand but they have an organic option.
This happened a while ago. Tropicana is still 1.75 L in a carton for the Not from concentrate Apple juice...for now, but for how much longer?
Good to see PC Orange juice still maintaining a 1.75L size.

Also note: some brands of orange juice shrank their 2.63 L size from 2.63 to a new smaller size of 2.5 L.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
16077 posts
3501 upvotes
Toronto
trellaine201 wrote: I actually like the Pc Orange juice. Smiling Face With Open Mouth
I agree, but Simply orange is still a 2.63 L container on sale @ Loblaws (week of July 16-22, 2020) for only $3.99 this week. Smiling Face With Sunglasses
PC is also 2.63 L but it's $5.99
One of the other brands is now a 2.5 L for the same $5.99 price. (I think it's irresistibles @ Metro)
*also Compliments brand is now 2.5L for $4.99 @ Sobey's.
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
18995 posts
2004 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
Went to No Frills to pick up some of their whole chickens on sale. They're so small, you'd be forgiven for mistaking them for Cornish Hens. We could used to buy a whole chicken for $5-6 and you'd get a large bird. It's laughable now.
May 28, 2012
10930 posts
3106 upvotes
Saskatoon
Supercooled wrote: Went to No Frills to pick up some of their whole chickens on sale. They're so small, you'd be forgiven for mistaking them for Cornish Hens. We could used to buy a whole chicken for $5-6 and you'd get a large bird. It's laughable now.
At least you are paying by weight...your only limitation is the size of the chicken might not be suitable for the recipe or serving amounts. I avoid packages that charge per unit, which always looks like a ripoff.
Deal Guru
Jul 23, 2007
12487 posts
4339 upvotes
Toronto
Mars2012 wrote: At least you are paying by weight...your only limitation is the size of the chicken might not be suitable for the recipe or serving amounts.
I wonder what the bone to meat ratio of a small bird vs a large bird
Found an article claiming legs have less % bone vs whole bird

https://www.thekitchn.com/whole-chicken ... ces-255821

It's time for the food supply to start selling those mythic four (or more) legged engineered birds