Food & Drink

Food Products: It's official - They're getting smaller and smaller.

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 8th, 2020 12:29 am
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
20703 posts
14540 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
sandikosh wrote: It is not apples to apples. Look at the page again. Noticed the items below the cheese that have "SAVE..."? That is SALE price.
Thanks. I hadn't noticed that. Which only serves to underscore my earlier point that "Another example are flyers that have many products shown at regular intermingled with sale merchandise." What's particularly egregious about this flyer is that the item most prominently featured on the cover page isn't a sale item.

Note too the large yellow down arrow ⬇ beside every price that suggests the item is on sale even when it's not.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Guru
Jul 23, 2007
12458 posts
4324 upvotes
Toronto
bylo wrote: Note too the large yellow down arrow ⬇ beside every price that suggests the item is on sale even when it's not.
I guess I missed the trolley 'cause $7 (more precisely $6.98) for the cheese looks like a sale price to me so I think you're on the money from the get go
Green peppers (lettuce etc) are 88 cents/lb there's an arrow but no "save" amount but believe me that's a sale price for green peppers given recent history across the major supermarkets flyers

PS Walmart's private label Great Value cheese blox are 2 for $8 this week!

https://www.walmart.ca/en/cheese-blocks ... ?b=1019684
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
20652 posts
4755 upvotes
Poormond Hill
bylo wrote: Thanks. I hadn't noticed that. Which only serves to underscore my earlier point that "Another example are flyers that have many products shown at regular intermingled with sale merchandise." What's particularly egregious about this flyer is that the item most prominently featured on the cover page isn't a sale item.

Note too the large yellow down arrow ⬇ beside every price that suggests the item is on sale even when it's not.
No. Look at the top left corner of the page. The arrows refer to the "Save Your Receipt" promotion for this week.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
16052 posts
3476 upvotes
Toronto
jenviea wrote: $6.98 at FreshCo is cheaper than $9.99 to $10.47 at Walmart

https://www.walmart.ca/en/cracker-barre ... derBy=DESC

But I'll take your advice to wait for a not too rare sale for $4 (or less?)
Walmart had a sale last week on 450g of Armstrong cheese for only $4.47. THAT was a great deal!
(Good to see someone's keeping the 450g size...but for how much longer?)
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
6641 posts
2897 upvotes
Ritz crackers are now 180G instead of 200G, and same price.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
16052 posts
3476 upvotes
Toronto
jenviea wrote: Just noticed $4.44 at Foodland for 400-450g Armstrong block
I wonder which cheese is only 400g? The two bars shown in that flyer are both 450g.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
9255 posts
1705 upvotes
Toronto
playnicee1 wrote: I wonder which cheese is only 400g? The two bars shown in that flyer are both 450g.
Sometimes the flyer pic is an older pic on file.
I had this problem at Freshco when the flyer pic did not match the new packaging for mortadella.
The person in charge of meats would not honor the flyer price on it.
I contacted the company and Freshco and it was confirmed it was the same item just new packaging.
Nov 1, 2016
850 posts
911 upvotes
Toronto
playnicee1 wrote: I wonder which cheese is only 400g? The two bars shown in that flyer are both 450g.

For Armstrong cheese bricks, we've noticed that the light/25% less fat versions are always 400g.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
20703 posts
14540 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
crayola1 wrote: For Armstrong cheese bricks, we've noticed that the light/25% less fat versions are always 400g.
450gm -> 400gm is lighter but 25% less than 450gm is 337.5gm ;) ;)
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2013
1556 posts
1862 upvotes
Scarborough
zod wrote: Kraft cheese slices shrunk :(
Looks like you can still get Armstrong melts slices at 450g. They are on special this week at Giant Tiger showing for Ontario at least anyway for $1.97 a pack.
Images
  • extra_large.jpg