Expired Hot Deals

Foodbasics

New Zealand Fresh Lamb Leg $3.97lb (April 1-7)

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 4th, 2021 5:54 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 19, 2015
4038 posts
24880 upvotes

[Foodbasics] New Zealand Fresh Lamb Leg $3.97lb (April 1-7)

Starting April 1-7. Flyer may differ in your region.

Also, No Frills starting Thursday to Sunday only will have Lamb Leg Short Cut (Frozen) on for $3.97lb.
36 replies
May 5, 2016
202 posts
108 upvotes
Thanks for the post OP.

man... last time I saw this, I went over to Food Basics and they sold out. not foolin' me twice. Scarborough East location. Thumbs up to anybody that can score this though, that's a heck of a deal!
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2020
1790 posts
1249 upvotes
duttydeals wrote: Thanks for the post OP.

man... last time I saw this, I went over to Food Basics and they sold out. not foolin' me twice. Scarborough East location. Thumbs up to anybody that can score this though, that's a heck of a deal!
Metro had this deal 2-3 months ago. After dissecting a lamb leg, I estimate only 40% of the weight is meat. But you can make soup from the bones
Deal Fanatic
Nov 4, 2008
6823 posts
7368 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Thanks OP! Time to smoke me some lamb
When given enough time, all threads on RFD can and will go off on a tangent.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2006
2340 posts
766 upvotes
The title should have been frozen rather than fresh lamb. Is frozen food really fresh?
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2020
1790 posts
1249 upvotes
Last 2 fresh lamb leg sale at Food Basics either didnt happen or they didnt have much stock. In 1 case i went on a tuesday and there was nothing. Next sale i went on a Sat and there was no stock. I bet the same thing will happen again for this week's sale.
Aug 7, 2017
380 posts
357 upvotes
andreid wrote: The title should have been frozen rather than fresh lamb. Is frozen food really fresh?
My thoughts exactly. This is frozen lamb. False advertising really.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 1, 2004
8342 posts
1966 upvotes
I am not a meat connoisseur, but I recommend Ontario lamb. IMO, most other lamb has a mutton flavor that can be very strong
STEAM-XBL-PSN: CFRTim
Banned
Aug 28, 2013
780 posts
513 upvotes
Richmond Hill
The flyer link ends tomorrow? Where can I find the April flyer though. Thanks OP
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 19, 2015
4038 posts
24880 upvotes
RoyF482 wrote: The flyer link ends tomorrow? Where can I find the April flyer though. Thanks OP
The flyer is viewable on the link.
Mar 8, 2004
622 posts
412 upvotes
Kanata
CFRTim wrote: I am not a meat connoisseur, but I recommend Ontario lamb. IMO, most other lamb has a mutton flavor that can be very strong
I would argue that's why you eat lamb. I'm disappointed in lamb that is not gamey.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2006
1309 posts
319 upvotes
Ottawa
3.77/lb at No Frills, Thursday to Sunday.
CFRTim wrote: I am not a meat connoisseur, but I recommend Ontario lamb. IMO, most other lamb has a mutton flavor that can be very strong
I wish local lamb wasn't at least 2x the price. Insane that it is cheaper to ship meat halfway across the world than it is to raise it here.
Jan 27, 2021
71 posts
33 upvotes
andreid wrote: The title should have been frozen rather than fresh lamb. Is frozen food really fresh?
bya1998 wrote: My thoughts exactly. This is frozen lamb. False advertising really.

is this actually frozen in those vacuum seal bags? or are they frozen for transport and thawed to say "fresh"?
Deal Addict
May 2, 2013
1884 posts
3753 upvotes
union station, TO
if you're going to food basics to buy the lamb, the asparagus is on sale at 99 cents at food basics starting on april 1. costs twice as much that price at no frills and freshco
Images
  • asp.PNG
Jan 25, 2020
122 posts
489 upvotes
oicthat2013 wrote: if you're going to food basics to buy the lamb, the asparagus is on sale at 99 cents at food basics starting on april 1. costs twice as much that price at no frills and freshco
Anybody got a deal on potatoes so I wrap up dinner?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 23, 2008
5276 posts
1704 upvotes
RoyF482 wrote: good for skewers?
not perfect, but better than nothing.

for skewers, you want some fatty shoulder meat.
Apr 15, 2009
258 posts
263 upvotes
toronto
roosters6879 wrote:

is this actually frozen in those vacuum seal bags? or are they frozen for transport and thawed to say "fresh"?
I got them last time and they didn’t seem defrosted. actually fresh and in vacuum packaging. How would you tell to be able to acuse them of defrauding us?
Apr 15, 2009
258 posts
263 upvotes
toronto
fredean01 wrote: Anybody got a deal on potatoes so I wrap up dinner?
Potatoes last day today. 10lbs for 1.88$ check all flyers on flip app. Price match at superstore if convenient
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2005
2297 posts
2375 upvotes
For the people in this thread (@roosters6879, @andreid, @bya1998) who question whether the lamb is "really fresh" and suggest that it was "previously frozen": give your head a shake and stop spreading your silly conspiracy theories.
New Zealand lamb cuts have been sold fresh in Canada for more than 50 years.
It is vacuum packed, but it has never been stored below zero degrees Celsius, therefore it is legal to sell it as fresh meat.
Because it is packed and handled in very hygienic conditions at their meat-packing plants, New Zealand vacuum-packed lamb stored between zero and plus one degree Celsius has a "best before date" of 6 weeks minimum (from the packing day).
The boat from New Zealand reaches Canada in two weeks. This leaves plenty of time for the lamb to be sold fresh in every corner of Canada.

There is a separate trade category, namely New Zealand "frozen lamb", which is also widely available, but that cannot be legally sold as "fresh" in Canada.