• Last Updated:
  • Oct 26th, 2020 5:57 pm
[OP]
Dec 20, 2019
331 posts
804 upvotes
Bikini Bottom

[Foodbasics] ST Hubert Chicken pot pie 800g $4.88

I was just at food basic and saw this ST Hubert chicken pot pie for 4.88 down from 9.99 and just couldn't resist. Never had it before but ingredients look wholesome and is cheap for the amount of food. Expires on the 28.
Images
  • 20201024_183511.jpg
Last edited by TomRFD on Oct 24th, 2020 9:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: updated url
42 replies
Deal Addict
May 23, 2017
2800 posts
1619 upvotes
had this before, it was pretty bad, harldy anything in it and the crust wasnt very good. I would spend the money and get the costco one instead.
Got that Fido Account!
[OP]
Dec 20, 2019
331 posts
804 upvotes
Bikini Bottom
riseagainstthemachine wrote: had this before, it was pretty bad, harldy anything in it and the crust wasnt very good. I would spend the money and get the costco one instead.
At half the price, I'd give it a shot. I mean If people can stomach 10 cent ramen, then I'm sure this can't be that badNerd Face
Sep 9, 2005
272 posts
62 upvotes
Hamilton,Ontario
riseagainstthemachine wrote: had this before, it was pretty bad, harldy anything in it and the crust wasnt very good. I would spend the money and get the costco one instead.
If you haven't already next time you pick up a "Costco" chicken pot pie check out the ingredients.
“To alcohol! The cause of, and solution to, all of life’s problems.”

Homer J
[OP]
Dec 20, 2019
331 posts
804 upvotes
Bikini Bottom
SoroSuub1 wrote: What's wrong with the ingredients in the Kirkland chicken pot pie?

Ingredient list below, borrowed from a Canadian blog.
https://static.wixstatic.com/media/b1c1 ... 9~mv2.webp
Wtf, whoa.. I don't even understand what half of those ingredients are... Compared to the St hubert. Maybe that's why costco taste so good; must be the magic sauceThinking Face

One has around 40 ingredients, the other around 100. The wholesome ingredients (carrots,peas,chicken) are the same.
Images
  • 20201024_201754.jpg
Deal Fanatic
Jun 3, 2008
7335 posts
3485 upvotes
Patrickpete wrote: Wtf, whoa.. I don't even understand what half of those ingredients are... Compared to the St hubert. Maybe that's why costco taste so good; must be the magic sauceThinking Face
Which ones specifically? I'm sure I, or another person on RFD can chime in on their practical use. Many commonly occurring flavours are often just referenced by their chemical names, rather than their common names. For example, disodium guanylate on the Kirkland ingredient list is the same as the yeast extract on the St. Hubert's ingredient list. For the record, it's a flavour enhancer, so it's not the magic sauce found only in the Kirkland chicken pot pie....

I think it's far more useful to learn about ingredients that are unknown to me, than to disparage centuries of food science and shun things I'm too ignorant to try to understand.
Nov 3, 2005
369 posts
587 upvotes
Toronto
This is the usual sale price that happens once in a while and it really is a good deal. My family loves it.
Oct 27, 2017
682 posts
549 upvotes
This pie isn't as salty as most chicken pies. But yeah compared to the Costco one, it isn't as hearty. But for $5, why not.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2007
1462 posts
428 upvotes
Puissance wrote: This is the usual sale price that happens once in a while and it really is a good deal. My family loves it.
I agree I get it once awhile and love it also
Deal Addict
May 18, 2007
1385 posts
457 upvotes
Patrickpete wrote: Most of my post was a joke; although I do have health issues, so I prefer more wholesome foods. Furthermore, Do seek help. I would hate to see news of another shooting due to some pyscho. RFD is not a place for you to vent your deep seated issues; go to the incel forumFace Throwing A Kiss Heres a kiss; something your parents clearly never gave you enough of🤣 Clown🤡
No need to get offended, I apologize for any unintended offense. If the behavior of those people I described do not apply to you, then what I said also doesnt apply to you. Much love <3
:arrowl: Thanks if Helped! :D
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2018
3935 posts
3133 upvotes
bel4_20 wrote: If you haven't already next time you pick up a "Costco" chicken pot pie check out the ingredients.
The ingredients are more real than the st Hubert or other frozen ones
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
6729 posts
2943 upvotes
the one with the broccoli and cheese is excellent, but about 15% less in weight compared to their other chicken pie.
Dec 14, 2015
116 posts
40 upvotes
Toronto, ON
bel4_20 wrote: If you haven't already next time you pick up a "Costco" chicken pot pie check out the ingredients.
As someone who loves costco chicken pot pie, I am legit concerned. Can you or someone explain what’s so bad about their ingredients??? Thanks Person With Folded Hands
Deal Fanatic
Jun 3, 2008
7335 posts
3485 upvotes
Patrickpete wrote: Wtf, whoa.. I don't even understand what half of those ingredients are... Compared to the St hubert. Maybe that's why costco taste so good; must be the magic sauceThinking Face

One has around 40 ingredients, the other around 100. The wholesome ingredients (carrots,peas,chicken) are the same.
Don't think I addressed your subsequent edit in my original post, the Costco ingredients list, aside from being more specific (i.e. listing chemical names instead of common names), also includes greater details on the components of some ingredients.... You'll see for example that Costco spends 7 lines talking about what went into the seasonings that are present in the Kirkland chicken pot pie, whereas St. Hubert's just says "Spices", and obviously "Spices" tells you nothing about what it is.
Last edited by SoroSuub1 on Oct 24th, 2020 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.