Expired Hot Deals

[Foodbasics] ST Hubert Chicken pot pie 800g $4.88

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 26th, 2020 5:57 pm
Oct 25, 2017
61 posts
31 upvotes
hightech wrote: The best chicken pie that I have had from a store is Farm Boy. It has lots of meat and veggies and not overly salty. Just cook it in a convection oven and your crust will be amazing!
Agreed! For the current sale price this pie isn’t bad, we picked one up last week at full price and wish we’d just spent the extra on the Farm Boy chicken pie.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2003
7234 posts
2027 upvotes
T dot 6
bel4_20 wrote: If you haven't already next time you pick up a "Costco" chicken pot pie check out the ingredients.
I love chicken pot pies, especially the crust. That said, I stopped eating Costco chicken pot pies and PC Blue Menu frozen PC's because they make me feel slightly nausea (Non Blue Menu pizzas I am fine with). I tried multiple times to make sure it wasn't a one off as I like the taste of both items, but my body doesn't like something in them.
stubhub and clearly.ca suck, like really suck
Deal Guru
Oct 30, 2006
14793 posts
4261 upvotes
These are good for an easy meal when you're too busy/lazy to cook. Just pop it in the oven for an hour.

The tourtière is pretty good too. Haven't tried the broccoli one nor the Swiss Chalet pies because they're lighter.

The Costco one is fresher but also twice the price.
TripleQ wrote:I read Click magazine for the articles!
May 26, 2008
56 posts
45 upvotes
bel4_20 wrote: Off the top of my head I can't remember, all I'm saying is next time your in Costco have a look. I'm not saying its bad it really does taste good but once you start looking at the ingredient list you'll see what I'm talking about .
I prefer my food with no ingredients, that way I can be sure it's healthy
Dec 12, 2011
318 posts
159 upvotes
NEPEAN
This is a super salty pie. Couldn't eat it. I hope Health Canada will introduce the legislation on salt soon.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 3, 2008
7482 posts
3705 upvotes
bel4_20 wrote: Off the top of my head I can't remember, all I'm saying is next time your in Costco have a look. I'm not saying its bad it really does taste good but once you start looking at the ingredient list you'll see what I'm talking about .
Again, what's wrong with the ingredients in the Kirkland chicken pot pie? Let's have some reasonable discussion here, instead of just fear-mongering, based on the length of an ingredient list. We didn't come this far as a society to shun centuries in advances in food science because we're too ignorant to learn about what's in our food.

Ingredient list below, borrowed from a Canadian blog.
https://static.wixstatic.com/media/b1c1 ... 9~mv2.webp
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2004
2217 posts
858 upvotes
Hometown
The difference in ingredients is probably not that significant. Since the Kirkland list includes EACH individual component of the seasoning blend, the chicken stock powered base or liquid they use. As well as each and every chemical preservative found in EVERY ingredient such as the flour, and margarine. If St Hubert did that they would have a very similar length list unless they used boiled chicken, veggies and just the stock from the cooking of the chickens.

Also since the Kirkland pies are made instore they acknowledge that cross contamination could have occurred with nuts, soy, dairy and wheat.

It would be exactly the same idea as if you listed out the exact ingredients of a cherry pie you made at home vs just what the recipe called for.

Also if you had been baking brownies with nuts just minutes before making the fruit pie. Could you 100% guarantee that you had not 100000000 mg of any nut in the fruit pie? Probably in all honestly you could NOT so it be best to just say hey there might just be some ingredients that people have allergies to in it. Also lots of times ingredients that go into a finished product have been produced in facilities that have allergens used for other products in them making it a very difficult to know for sure yourself if it would be 100% safe.

Both have the 3 major food groups for flavour SALT, FAT, and SUGARS if they did not they probably could not give them away LOL.
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2006
1816 posts
107 upvotes
Markham
St. Hubert had a short lived pulled pork version of this pie that was delicious. Only had it once a few years ago and haven't found it since. Not a fan of chicken pot pie or tourtiere (the meat lacks flavour imo).
Sep 9, 2005
272 posts
62 upvotes
Hamilton,Ontario
SoroSuub1 wrote: Again, what's wrong with the ingredients in the Kirkland chicken pot pie? Let's have some reasonable discussion here, instead of just fear-mongering, based on the length of an ingredient list. We didn't come this far as a society to shun centuries in advances in food science because we're too ignorant to learn about what's in our food.

Ingredient list below, borrowed from a Canadian blog.
https://static.wixstatic.com/media/b1c1 ... 9~mv2.webp
I'm in no way fear mongering at least that's not my intention. I've eaten quite a few of them until someone mentioned to have a look at the ingredients. If someone is looking at those ingredients it could be very intimidating that is all, not to mention you could look at those ingredients in there long form and easily think WTF is all that. Not everyone is a chemist.
“To alcohol! The cause of, and solution to, all of life’s problems.”

Homer J
Apr 15, 2018
116 posts
85 upvotes
They are just ok....at the sale price. At full price...a terrible buy.

I have one in the oven as I write.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2007
1405 posts
471 upvotes
bel4_20 wrote: I'm in no way fear mongering at least that's not my intention. I've eaten quite a few of them until someone mentioned to have a look at the ingredients. If someone is looking at those ingredients it could be very intimidating that is all, not to mention you could look at those ingredients in there long form and easily think WTF is all that. Not everyone is a chemist.
Instead of going " WTF? ", why not research the term on scientific websites, while avoiding alternative health fear mongering anti-vaxxer soccer mom bloggers?

If companies realized people like you get scared of an HONEST ingredients list, they will simply hide it under something like "SPICES" so they won't lose sales to products with DISHONEST ingredients lists.

This will ruin EVERYTHING, just like how everything else is being DUMBED DOWN for the unwashed uninformed masses.

All companies should be government mandated to release the DETAILED food ingredients, instead of just "SPICES".
:arrowl: Thanks if Helped! :D
[OP]
Dec 20, 2019
415 posts
1125 upvotes
Bikini Bottom
webeye wrote: They are just ok....at the sale price. At full price...a terrible buy.

I have one in the oven as I write.
When does RFD ever consider something a good buy at full price, except for the one offs such as a ps5 where the value is worth more than the msrp.
Nov 10, 2011
748 posts
623 upvotes
St. Catharines
Patrickpete wrote: When does RFD ever consider something a good buy at full price, except for the one offs such as a ps5 where the value is worth more than the msrp.
For some of us, the PS5 is overpriced when sold for $10. Smiling Face With Open Mouth
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Some days I think that I am the only person who knows how to use Google.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
2471 posts
2019 upvotes
Montreal, QC
The original chicken pot pie from St Hubert (Pre 2016 - when it was acquired by Cara Operations) was a LOT better than the one they sell today. They have really cut corners on everything . It now has nearly half the filling it used to have. I used to love st hubert everything, but it is very blah lately.

I had the Costco one about 2 weeks ago, and I was pretty impressed overall.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2017
2574 posts
2812 upvotes
SojuSoldier89 wrote: As someone who loves costco chicken pot pie, I am legit concerned. Can you or someone explain what’s so bad about their ingredients??? Thanks Person With Folded Hands
There is absolutely nothing wrong with the Costo pie ingredients. People see sodium something and they automatically freak out.
Mar 21, 2006
85 posts
104 upvotes
Mississauga
We have been buying St. Hubert's chicken pies for years and have been mostly satisfied. BUT the one we baked last night can't rightly be called 'Chicken' pie since we were unable to find any trace of chicken in the entire pie. Some peas, lots of creamy sauce, not-so-great crust, but NO CHICKEN. Very disappointed. Considering complaining to the manufacturer.

From the other posts, perhaps it is time to switch over to Costco.
Sep 14, 2012
641 posts
680 upvotes
Toronto
Emporium wrote: The original chicken pot pie from St Hubert (Pre 2016 - when it was acquired by Cara Operations) was a LOT better than the one they sell today. They have really cut corners on everything . It now has nearly half the filling it used to have. I used to love st hubert everything, but it is very blah lately.

I am sure you are correct. I remember St Hubert pot pies as they were sold in their restaurants. Just a fantastic meal and a great lunchtime special.. Then I bought on of these frozen jobs..never bought a 2nd.
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2005
1014 posts
387 upvotes
Emporium wrote: The original chicken pot pie from St Hubert (Pre 2016 - when it was acquired by Cara Operations) was a LOT better than the one they sell today. They have really cut corners on everything . It now has nearly half the filling it used to have. I used to love st hubert everything, but it is very blah lately.

True! I really miss going to St Huberts here in the GTA, much better than Swiss Chalet. I had to drive further and further till the last location closed, so sad...

Can't expect much from Cara, they don't care about their customers, as we all know how bad Swiss Chalet is still, after customer complaints.
Looks like they ruined the famous St Hubert brand already...