Foodora Canada RIP

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 26th, 2020 12:45 am
32 replies
Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
12805 posts
3477 upvotes
I find it hard to believe that they are struggling in the golden age of food delivery. Likely they just didn't want to deal with unions.
Apr 10, 2020
298 posts
1089 upvotes
Foodora launched in Canada in 2015. At last count, Foodora operated in 10 cities across Canada and had more than 3,000 restaurants on its menu, but the company said it isn't making enough money in Canada to stay open and will close on May 11.

"We're faced with strong competition in the Canadian market, and operate a business that requires a high volume of transactions to turn a profit," the company said.

"We've been unable to get to a position which would allow us to continue to operate without having to continually absorb losses."

The decision comes as Foodora and other delivery services are experiencing a surge in demand because of COVID-19 lockdowns. And it's not just food, either — the company recently started offering deliveries of products as diverse as flowers, pet food, alcohol and coffee on its service.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/foodor ... -1.5546642
Deal Expert
Dec 5, 2006
16789 posts
12572 upvotes
Markham
Are they popular in Toronto? Didn't remember seeing them mentioned in RFD often
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
19733 posts
28612 upvotes
Vancouver
Ottomaddox wrote: Market conditions, sure. Who's ordering food during a pandemic and quarantine?

I'm sure it nothing to do with their employees unionizing.
I'm not, but apparently plenty of people are. "The decision comes as Foodora and other delivery services are experiencing a surge in demand because of COVID-19 lockdowns." It's obviously the unionization vote
Deal Guru
Sep 3, 2003
13027 posts
2269 upvotes
Toronto
joeyjoejoe wrote: Likely they just didn't want to deal with unions.
This is the answer.
Deal with it.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
9925 posts
7089 upvotes
Mississauga
You can only exploit your employees for so long...
Deal Expert
Dec 5, 2006
16789 posts
12572 upvotes
Markham
Kiraly wrote: I'm not, but apparently plenty of people are. "The decision comes as Foodora and other delivery services are experiencing a surge in demand because of COVID-19 lockdowns." It's obviously the unionization vote
Or unionization is a good excuse. Unionization probably will come to sharing economy sooner than industry thought
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2005
1148 posts
492 upvotes
They had some good 50% off promos last year and free credits when they first launched. Pretty sure they didn’t make any money on any of my orders lol
2006 - Pepsi/Frito Lay Win Every Hour Contest - 1279 Entries - Loser!
Deal Expert
Nov 16, 2004
26683 posts
15290 upvotes
Toronto
Ottomaddox wrote: Market conditions, sure. Who's ordering food during a pandemic and quarantine?

I'm ordering more now than I ever have.
We are ordering a ton at work. We just finished ordering $100 in doughnuts last week.
RedFlagDeals Addict
Wash your car at Petro-Canada? Think again! Car damaged and nobody cares
Esso Price Privileges Card, 25% Off - save some money on gas
Deal Expert
Nov 16, 2004
26683 posts
15290 upvotes
Toronto

I'm not sure that every job is a good candidate to be unionized. This may be an example of one of them.
While you would like work conditions to be safe and to have some benefits as an employee, these benefits may be at the cost of your place of employment. These food services are low cost and need to remain that way.
RedFlagDeals Addict
Wash your car at Petro-Canada? Think again! Car damaged and nobody cares
Esso Price Privileges Card, 25% Off - save some money on gas
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
9280 posts
3006 upvotes
London
DaVibe wrote: I'm not sure that every job is a good candidate to be unionized. This may be an example of one of them.
While you would like work conditions to be safe and to have some benefits as an employee, these benefits may be at the cost of your place of employment. These food services are low cost and need to remain that way.
I hate it when the hired help gets uppity.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
39339 posts
6342 upvotes
Winnipeg
KorruptioN wrote: This is the answer.
They have other markets they would rather focus on. I think people need to come to the realization that some jobs can only pay so much, yes, I get it everyone wants benefits and living wage, but it may not be possible for certain jobs, otherwise they would exist. Perhaps the union would start their own food delivery company? It is not that particularly hard to setup such system.
Deal Addict
May 2, 2013
1959 posts
4001 upvotes
Bloor-Yonge
playnicee1 wrote: Foodora Canada to shut down May 11, 2020.
that's because customers don't like the extra fees that comes with ordering delivery with foodora. they'd rather use skipthedishes
Deal Addict
May 30, 2010
2139 posts
1969 upvotes
divx wrote: They have other markets they would rather focus on. I think people need to come to the realization that some jobs can only pay so much, yes, I get it everyone wants benefits and living wage, but it may not be possible for certain jobs, otherwise they would exist. Perhaps the union would start their own food delivery company? It is not that particularly hard to setup such system.
Doug? Did you move to winterpeg? /s