Food & Drink

Foods that people think are healthy but are really not....

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 25th, 2014 12:49 am
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
21703 posts
17379 upvotes
Markham
Most "processed" in a package food is not healthy IMO.

3 general rules: 1) Cooking from real ingredients is an important first step to getting closer to healthy, 2) watch what you're cooking/eating and then 3) watch how much your eating/portion sizing.

eg. eating a whole "pound" cake might not be great for your health even though it is scratch and homemade.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2004
1829 posts
311 upvotes
Mississauga
Mars2012 wrote: I had a friend years ago who did a "cleanse"....it basically wiped out the beneficial bacteria in her body and she was on a lot more things after that to try to get back to "normal". Everything in moderation, that's my motto.
Couldn't`t agree with you more.
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2008
3376 posts
153 upvotes
Toronto
Imran DeRoy wrote: Interesting, I did the opposite

Once you have a habit of eating a little in general and retraining yourself t understand fullness is not a good thing, then you will never feel 'starving' because you didn't have a full plate of whatever and when you do eat bad foods, you eat small amounts and the effect is minimal

People I see with this approach I've seen to be successful. People who talk about 'eating 6 meals a day', 'upping your protein', 'grab a handful of nuts and snack on those rather than that chocolate bar', and worst of all 'eat lots of lean meats' are legions of failures on bb forums and gyms, and you always marvel at how they're still so chunky with clearly high bf %

Train oneself to think like people used to, that a light stomach and meal is good and fullness is piggish, and one'll be better off than all the 'healthy eating' people who either restrict like anorexics, or gorge on their holy proteins and kale
For me I found that eating the same amounts of healthier food got me more filled up than eating the less-healthy alternatives. Also, it helps bring you into a more well-rounded consumption lifestyle and in the process you will also naturally become more aware of what you're eating, foods that are more filling than others and you can start to moderate the quantity of foods from there. One thing I've noticed is that eating a mix of carbs and protein is most effective in keeping you filled up.

However, I do agree with what you said, because it happened to me too, but only after my switch to eating healthier alternatives. Every time I had a big meal or a less-healthier meal, I'd feel sluggish for the rest of the day. Naturally, my consumptions decreased as a result :D

Edit: I think there's no one-solution for everyone. If anyone is trying to lose weight or stay healthy, the only thing that is consistent that I've heard is consuming in moderation (i.e. don't strangle yourself with only healthy options, but don't overload on less-healthy alternatives either + don't overeat if you don't have to)
Deal Expert
May 8, 2005
31836 posts
1354 upvotes
windforcexx28 wrote: Edit: I think there's no one-solution for everyone. If anyone is trying to lose weight or stay healthy, the only thing that is consistent that I've heard is consuming in moderation (i.e. don't strangle yourself with only healthy options, but don't overload on less-healthy alternatives either + don't overeat if you don't have to)
Well, in reality, for otherwise healthy people, when it strictly comes to losing body fat / weight, it doesn't really matter if you eat healhty or not.

Reason being, the key to losing weight is a simple matter of calories - i.e you gotta' burn more calories than you take in.

To illustrate the point, take the Kansas nutrition prof who lost 27 lbs. in 10 weeks eating mostly ' junk food '. He called it a ' convenience store diet ' cause 2/3 of his food intake consisted of ' junk food ' like Twinkies, Little Debbie Snacks, Doritos, Sugary Cereals and Oreos. The rest of his intake included some vegetables, protein drinks and a multi-vitamin.

Of course, he was only taking in less than 1,800 calories a day ( about 800 to 1,000 calories a day below his maintenance ), so his weight loss really speaks the fact that calories ( i.e ' calories in versus calories out ' ) are what really matters for weight loss ( even if you eat ' junk food ' ) and confirming the truth about thermodynamics in weight loss.
" The placebo effect is the most powerful supplement of all "
" The pain of discipline weighs ounces, the pain of neglect weighs tons "
" The best training in the world can't overcome a lousy diet "
TRAIN HARD !!!!
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2008
2891 posts
259 upvotes
How about anything (well, not anything, but let's say MOSt things) found in the aisle's of most grocery stores. If someone were looking to remain healthy, shop at the perimeter only, and keep your foods as natural as possible (ie: butter or lard over margarine, olive oil over all other seed/vegetable oils).
The best way to become ordinary is to follow the advice of ordinary people.
Unless you've actually tried something, your comments are virtually meaningless.
Condemnation before investigation is the highest form of ignorance
Deal Fanatic
Jul 23, 2007
5134 posts
4928 upvotes
Sibica wrote: (ie: butter or lard over margarine, olive oil over all other seed/vegetable oils).
I never eat any of the above at home any more. I don't miss any dairy or oil. My meat consumption is way down from what it used to be. I've had to cut out eating nuts and 70%+ chocolate since although medical research has shown both are healthy for the heart, for me, they are addictive.. Now focused as much as possible on a plant based diet eating vegetables, fruit, beans and whole grains. Not easy, but a constant learning experience to adapt to what works best for yourself.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2005
31836 posts
1354 upvotes
Stryker wrote: I never eat any of the above at home any more. I don't miss any dairy or oil. My meat consumption is way down from what it used to be. I've had to cut out eating nuts and 70%+ chocolate since although medical research has shown both are healthy for the heart, for me, they are addictive.. Now focused as much as possible on a plant based diet eating vegetables, fruit, beans and whole grains.
+1

Some of the healthiest and longest living populations on the plant have fruit, legumes, and or whole grains as mainstays / staples of their diet.
Stryker wrote: Not easy, but a constant learning experience to adapt to what works best for yourself.
Exactly...with a bit of trial and error simply try different approaches and see what works best for you / makes you feel the best.

As someone mentioned earlier .." there's no one-solution for everyone "

Personally, I've been a big proponent on this forum of fresh fruits, vegetables, grains, legumes, nuts & seeds, fish, meats, poultry, eggs, dairy, oils etc. - and minimizing added sugars and refined / processed foods - as part of a nutritionally balanced diet both for training and as part of a healthy lifestyle.

And within that context, that usually means trying to focus on whole foods as much as you can - foods as near to their natural state as possible instead of pre-packaged, processed foods ( i.e avoid / minimize food from boxes, with labels etc. ) or fast food ( i.e cook your own meals instead ). Which means eating more of stuff like fresh fruits and vegetables, whole grains and lean proteins and as a result avoiding / minimizing food with added salt, fat, sugar and chemicals that I noted above.

And while I believe in trying to follow the philosophy I noted above as much as you can, I also believe you don't have to be ' perfect ' by eating perfectly ' clean ' 100% of the time 24 /7 IMO. The ' 80/20 rule ' is a much more reasonable & sustainable approach both to dietary intake and overall IMO - i.e get it 100% right 80% of the time...perhaps a bit less than 100% the remaining 20% of the time.

In other words, when it comes to a nutritionally balanced diet & a healthy lifestyle, you should aim for a very ' high batting average ' in my books - not ' perfection '.
" The placebo effect is the most powerful supplement of all "
" The pain of discipline weighs ounces, the pain of neglect weighs tons "
" The best training in the world can't overcome a lousy diet "
TRAIN HARD !!!!
Jan 29, 2006
718 posts
67 upvotes
Raggie wrote: I can't say if all 'juices' are unhealthy, but I notice some orange 'juices' that are marketed as 100% natural are really from concentrate or have added flavour, colour, weird chemicals, etc. And you can even taste that its not 100% natural.
All juice is bad because they turn into ethanol in the liver - like drinking alcohol without the buzz for reference check Sugar the bitter truth on YouTube - fruit is better due to fibre

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)