Wheels and Tires

Ford Dealer claims I owe them money...who is in the wrong?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 13th, 2019 1:19 pm
[OP]
Nov 11, 2019
5 posts
4 upvotes

Ford Dealer claims I owe them money...who is in the wrong?

So 3 weeks ago I sold my truck and picked up a car for the winter and work use. I bought the car from a ford dealer, the process was pretty painless and we agreed on a price.
The next day I sold my truck and left work on my break to head to the dealer and pick up the car. Now when I got there the finance manager was busy so the sent me to see the other finance manager. I was told to write a cheque for a specified amount which I did, and handed it over to be added to the deposit I had already left the day before. For some reason the number felt light but I asked the finance manager to confirm the amount and they did so I proceeded to write the cheque.

I did not get any extras despite my negotiations and the sales manager was reluctant to even give me a free oil change.
I went back to work and on about my day and haven't thought about since the last 3 weeks have been incredibly busy with work and home with kids.

3 weeks go by and I get an email today from the dealership stating the deposit and the cheque collected are for the wrong amount and that I owe them $530.00 more dollars.

Now I went back to the original contract and technically they are correct.

This was a cash deal, they did not discount the price at all or even throw in any extras outside of a tank of gas, and the finance manager read my the amount to write the cheque for twice.

So my question is this fair? They made the mistake, they have already made thousands off me and after 3 weeks now are coming at me with this email.

I feel like on principle I should not have to pay this and they should just write it off as I am sure they marked the vehicle up anyways.

What would you do?
Last edited by MidnightVTEC on Nov 13th, 2019 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
30 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2004
3666 posts
253 upvotes
Toronto
What does the signed contract (Bill of Sale) say? If the amount match what you've paid, ask them to show you where you owe the money?

If the amount doesn't match, then you can't exactly just skip on the difference. Whether they gave you discount or not, it's irrelevant, you and the dealer agreed on the price, and that's what you have to pay.
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2007
2087 posts
633 upvotes
If walmart sent u the very same email after you walked out with a tv that they have incorrectly priced, would u think twice about getting back to them?

This is no different...especially when its an outright cash purchase. Ball is completely in your court.
Mar 2, 2012
166 posts
192 upvotes
MILTON
malecoke wrote: If walmart sent u the very same email after you walked out with a tv that they have incorrectly priced, would u think twice about getting back to them?

This is no different...especially when its an outright cash purchase. Ball is completely in your court.
OMG, are you serious? Are you comparing signing a binding contract with buying potatoes for cash in Walmart?

When you go to Walmart do you go to the managers office and you agree on the price and you sign the contract before you even pick up your merchandise? On top of that do you provide Walmart with your name, address and what not!!?

If you are trolling, you got me.
Feb 17, 2015
554 posts
664 upvotes
Canada
Be the good brother, give them what you owe and hope they pay it forward.
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2006
1484 posts
413 upvotes
What is on the bill of sale is what you owe.
Mar 2, 2012
166 posts
192 upvotes
MILTON
OP, to make it easy for you, let's put this the other way around.

3 weeks after you purchased your car, you realized that you wrote a cheque with an incorrect amount. Your bill of sale confirms that you overpaid by $530.

Are you going to call the dealer and ask them to give you YOUR money back or you will accept that you made a mistake and let go?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
32754 posts
18527 upvotes
Ottawa
The amount you wrote on the cheque doesn't mean shit.
What you signed on the sales agreement is binding.
Apr 4, 2017
8 posts
19 upvotes
London
You owe them the money you should pay. I would think that they would put a lean on the car to ensure you pay.
Banned
Mar 11, 2016
2081 posts
842 upvotes
malecoke wrote: If walmart sent u the very same email after you walked out with a tv that they have incorrectly priced, would u think twice about getting back to them?

Wow that's good advice...Jeeesuz wake up....

OP you owe the money..pay up....you zero ZERO options and zero balls in your court....
Mar 2, 2012
166 posts
192 upvotes
MILTON
Fjr2005 wrote: Wow that's good advice...Jeeesuz wake up....

OP you owe the money..pay up....you zero ZERO options and zero balls in your court....
You are right but I wouldn't say that OP has "zero balls in his court", there is about 50% chance of that to be true.
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
12661 posts
6572 upvotes
Toronto

4D36F66A-DE28-4DF8-9C16-E53B037650B2.jpeg
[OP]
Nov 11, 2019
5 posts
4 upvotes
I'm not arguing that is what I agreed to, I just can't believe it took 3 weeks for something like this to be found (granted I did not notice the extra $500 left on my account balance).
I will contact them tomorrow about resolving this but what if it had been 6 months later, I do think that would be their fault regardless of the contract.

Anyways thanks for the input.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
8424 posts
1353 upvotes
MidnightVTEC wrote: I'm not arguing that is what I agreed to, I just can't believe it took 3 weeks for something like this to be found (granted I did not notice the extra $500 left on my account balance).
I will contact them tomorrow about resolving this but what if it had been 6 months later, I do think that would be their fault regardless of the contract.

Anyways thanks for the input.
You could try and ask them for several free oil changes to makeup for the inconvenience and for the amount of time involved for you having to deal with this. Just a thought.
Help an animal charity or sanctuary out today. Become a volunteer, advocate, foster a pet, or donate. They need you as much as you need them!
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2007
2087 posts
633 upvotes
jikiji626 wrote: OMG, are you serious? Are you comparing signing a binding contract with buying potatoes for cash in Walmart?

When you go to Walmart do you go to the managers office and you agree on the price and you sign the contract before you even pick up your merchandise? On top of that do you provide Walmart with your name, address and what not!!?

If you are trolling, you got me.
The method of purchasing might be a lil different, but the legality behind the transaction is the essentially the same.

You agree on a price(whether it be a price on a price tag or through negotiations), pay for the product, and the seller release that product once the buyer has paid for the item, making the item legally the buyers. This, being a cash transaction, does not differ much in principal than buying a TV from walmart.