• Last Updated:
  • Jan 15th, 2020 6:06 pm
[OP]
May 15, 2016
9 posts
4 upvotes

Ford explorer roof rack broken due to Car Wash

Hi Everyone,

Just feel really bad about the quality of Ford, I wanted to share my personal experience here.

I got my Ford Explorer 2017 around a year and a half. I never use the roof rack since I bought this vehicle. Unlucky, last week I took my car to car wash, the roof rack got broken and the roof cover flew away.

The roof cover pops up, also the clip on the bottom part break down either.

I have checked the inside of the roof rack, they pin together only by some plastic hook, and those hooks seem like very easy to be broken.

When I brought my car to the dealer, the service tells me right away, last week they got a bunch of people to have the same problem as they took Explorer to the car wash. They said they are very sorry about the quality of those roof racks, and to replace a new one will cost around 800.

I don't know if anyone with Ford Explorer has the same issue with me. I have already called Ford customer service to complain about the quality of those roof racks. They said they couldn't do anything for us.

I just wanted to share my experience here, if anyone comes up to the same issues could also try to complain to Ford to urge their attention to this problem.
Images
  • IMG-7593.JPG
  • IMG-7594.JPG
34 replies
Deal Guru
Oct 23, 2008
13465 posts
10449 upvotes
GTA, ON
Not covered by warranty?

Did you go throw a no touch car wash or the one that runs and scrubs your car down with complete disregard?
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2007
4815 posts
2346 upvotes
Touchless (or brush-less) car wash. Or nothing.
Mar 6, 2019
1 posts
I have the exact same problem. Seems unfixable. Just really poor design. I would love to know if there is a solution.
Online Car and Motorcycle Lights, Parking Sensor, Starter Battery and Seat Heater buy on electronicx.de
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15042 posts
9439 upvotes
Toronto
Why does the rear of the rack look so scratched up?

For a rack that has never been used, it's pretty banged up. How often did you run through this wash and what type was it? This cover, explain in more detail, how did it fly away? Where is that part? Did it cover the entire roof?

Seriously tho, you should never bring your vehicle into a massive brush car wash. These types of wash bays tear/beat up anything and everything on your car. More importantly, any damage caused by the wash is probably not covered. Washer beware.
Capture.JPG
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Banned
Feb 20, 2007
3042 posts
1315 upvotes
Yeah. Lemme guess you went to a TOUCH carwash. Pretty sure they don't take into account people using touch car washes.... Wouldn't call it bad design.
[OP]
May 15, 2016
9 posts
4 upvotes
This scratch is from the touchless car wash that made my cover jump out of the top and hit the ground.
[OP]
May 15, 2016
9 posts
4 upvotes
No no. It was the touchless car wash, and I usually wash my car around one time a month in winter.
[OP]
May 15, 2016
9 posts
4 upvotes
Yours still haven’t fixed yet, right?

My dealer just told me just to buy a strong glue to fix it.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
36074 posts
22211 upvotes
Center of Universe
It's not the carwash (I have the same roof rack covers) and they warp out of shape due to the weather.
Some owners have reported them coming off completely, while there are many like ours that simply requires we pop them back in.
During the summer (especially Explorers with the black covers), they pop off every other week and I simply push it back down when I see it.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
46923 posts
10086 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
User690261 wrote: No no. It was the touchless car wash, and I usually wash my car around one time a month in winter.
I think its product defect, not the car wash.
I just can’t imagine the pressure being so high that it shoots your roof rack off.
But holy moly $800 for a replacement?
You can get a high quality thule or yakima for half that.
Banned
Feb 20, 2007
3042 posts
1315 upvotes
Odd how the upper part is scratched up like that though. I can see how that bottom part is scratched wonder how the top gets scratches like that.
[OP]
May 15, 2016
9 posts
4 upvotes
This scratch is from the touchless car wash that made my cover jump out of the top and hit the ground.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
17405 posts
19502 upvotes
Oakville
Is this just your roof rails? Or did you have a rack attached to the rails at the time? Please use the correct terminology.

Going to a car wash is a bad idea in general for any car, touch or touchless. Just wash at home or use a coin-op wash. There's really no point to washing your car in freezing temps either, as it will also damage your car by forcing water everywhere, which will freeze and cause you problems.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Selling 18x8 Winter Wheels/Tires 225/60R-18 for Audi Q5, A5, Mercedes, PM for info, lots of tread.
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.ht ... 1589757439
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
7884 posts
4522 upvotes
Alberta
User690261 wrote: Yours still haven’t fixed yet, right?

My dealer just told me just to buy a strong glue to fix it.
Black silicone sealant would work. Use some masking tape to hold it in place until it dries. I wouldn't spend money on a new one, hardly anybody uses a roof rack anyways and nobody but you will know that it's scratched.
Deal Addict
May 2, 2011
1152 posts
338 upvotes
Oakville, ON
I have a 2016 and have just had mine pop-out a bit. Just snapped it back in like vkizzle said. Have been through many car washes, both touchless and with a brush with no problems.

Wonder if the extreme cold recently has something to do with it...
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2009
4501 posts
3833 upvotes
GTA
Buying Ford and expecting top notch quality Thinking Face. Almost like staying in Monte Carlo Inn and waiting for sauna, hot towels and room service breakfast. You get what you pay for. Be thankful that your Ford made it to the car wash without stopping for 5 recalls along the way Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes