• Last Updated:
  • Aug 20th, 2021 5:09 pm
11 replies
Penalty Box
Jun 26, 2009
5142 posts
4878 upvotes
GTA
Maverick's body is mostly steel - with aluminum F150, you can recycle and get some money back. Like every Ford, Maverick comes with 10 future recalls included as factory option.
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2005
3146 posts
2528 upvotes
Tommy74 wrote: Maverick's body is mostly steel - with aluminum F150, you can recycle and get some money back. Like every Ford, Maverick comes with 10 future recalls included as factory option.
Your last comment is so true. I absolutely loved my 18 F150. But it had a thousand recalls and a dozen suspension/4wd parts fixed in under 2 years and under 30 000km. Managed to sell it this year for more than I bought it for due to the insane demand for trucks. I was sad to see it go, but also glad to see the potential headaches leave as well. I couldn't understand how it was the #1 selling vehicle in North America with the amount of time it spent in the shop. I couldn't imagine what it would have cost me if I'd owned it to 200 000km.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
50006 posts
14053 upvotes
ONTARIO
tim-x wrote: Your last comment is so true. I absolutely loved my 18 F150. But it had a thousand recalls and a dozen suspension/4wd parts fixed in under 2 years and under 30 000km. Managed to sell it this year for more than I bought it for due to the insane demand for trucks. I was sad to see it go, but also glad to see the potential headaches leave as well. I couldn't understand how it was the #1 selling vehicle in North America with the amount of time it spent in the shop. I couldn't imagine what it would have cost me if I'd owned it to 200 000km.
They should make a rav4 pickup for reliability

Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2005
3146 posts
2528 upvotes
UrbanPoet wrote: They should make a rav4 pickup for reliability

Haha. They could also just update the Tacoma and Tundra. I'd get a Tundra if it wasn't from the early 2000s and got more than 9mpg.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2015
2964 posts
1540 upvotes
Calgary, AB
With this, the Bronco (and Sport) and the Lightning Ford seem to be hitting it out of the park recently.

Hopefully it's as good to drive and use as the initial impressions suggest it may be.
tim-x wrote: Your last comment is so true. I absolutely loved my 18 F150. But it had a thousand recalls and a dozen suspension/4wd parts fixed in under 2 years and under 30 000km. Managed to sell it this year for more than I bought it for due to the insane demand for trucks. I was sad to see it go, but also glad to see the potential headaches leave as well. I couldn't understand how it was the #1 selling vehicle in North America with the amount of time it spent in the shop. I couldn't imagine what it would have cost me if I'd owned it to 200 000km.
Some people are unlucky and get a lemon?

I got a 2017 and aside from an extended warranty on the door latches (no problems) and the block heater cable replacement the only issue I've had in four years and 60,000km is a very occasionally glitchy backup camera. There are a couple of other issues with some of the engines in the 18+ but your issues sound far and above that?
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2005
3146 posts
2528 upvotes
Andy34 wrote: With this, the Bronco (and Sport) and the Lightning Ford seem to be hitting it out of the park recently.

Hopefully it's as good to drive and use as the initial impressions suggest it may be.

Some people are unlucky and get a lemon?

I got a 2017 and aside from an extended warranty on the door latches (no problems) and the block heater cable replacement the only issue I've had in four years and 60,000km is a very occasionally glitchy backup camera. There are a couple of other issues with some of the engines in the 18+ but your issues sound far and above that?
It's certainly possible. But everything that I experienced were things that people were complaining about on the F150 forums. Squeaky leaf springs, IWC not engaging and getting a grinding noise, shocks needing to be replaced under warranty in the first two years, and the numerous recalls. At one point they replaced the 4wd system which would have cost me thousands. That was the only major thing that I couldn't find threads about online.

The 10 speed transmission was also incredibly jerky (another common complaint). In the beginning I thought it was defective. It smoothed out a bit after a while but on a cold start it would often slam in early gears. Again, just gave me serious pause about owning it past the warranty. It was a world of difference going from my F150 to my Toyota Sienna, which felt much "cheaper" than my truck, but was a smooth drive and I've never had any issues or even any recalls that I can think of.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2015
2964 posts
1540 upvotes
Calgary, AB
tim-x wrote: It's certainly possible. But everything that I experienced were things that people were complaining about on the F150 forums. Squeaky leaf springs, IWC not engaging and getting a grinding noise, shocks needing to be replaced under warranty in the first two years, and the numerous recalls. At one point they replaced the 4wd system which would have cost me thousands. That was the only major thing that I couldn't find threads about online.

The 10 speed transmission was also incredibly jerky (another common complaint). In the beginning I thought it was defective. It smoothed out a bit after a while but on a cold start it would often slam in early gears. Again, just gave me serious pause about owning it past the warranty. It was a world of difference going from my F150 to my Toyota Sienna, which felt much "cheaper" than my truck, but was a smooth drive and I've never had any issues or even any recalls that I can think of.
Sounds a bit like you did hit the jackpot of things that could go wrong, going wrong on the 15-20. I'm not sure its representative of general ownership though? Or I've just been lucky twice (had a used 2010 prior to the 2017 which we sold at 280,000km).
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2005
3146 posts
2528 upvotes
Andy34 wrote: Sounds a bit like you did hit the jackpot of things that could go wrong, going wrong on the 15-20. I'm not sure its representative of general ownership though? Or I've just been lucky twice (had a used 2010 prior to the 2017 which we sold at 280,000km).
I'm sure it's a minority of owners, but it's definitely given me some pause about owning another Ford product. I've owned several Japanese vehicles and never had a multitude of issues with them besides your typical wear and tear. All I can really go on is what I read, and then what I experience. It's a shame but if I were to spend 60k+ on a truck, I think I would wait for a Toyota product that I really liked (none of which I like at the moment).

You can go on any club forum and find a minority of owners complaining about a specific issue that they all have in common. It just so happened to be Ford that I experienced that with.
Jul 2, 2021
210 posts
224 upvotes
Vancouver
The order schedule would push you well into next year if you didn't place an order in June/July.

I was interested in the hybrid model until finding out the wait time on it.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
50006 posts
14053 upvotes
ONTARIO
tim-x wrote: Haha. They could also just update the Tacoma and Tundra. I'd get a Tundra if it wasn't from the early 2000s and got more than 9mpg.
Lol true!
I was speaking from the perspective of dinky pickups. Like Honda Ridgeline style. More like SUV with a bed. Good ride & fuel economy. That type of deal.
Feb 8, 2009
172 posts
126 upvotes
These are kinda cool. Not something I’m in the market for, but I do like the fact they’re introducing something other than another SUV

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)