Off Topic

Foreign-trained medical doctors still screwed in this pandemic

[OP]
Banned
Dec 28, 2019
1021 posts
644 upvotes

Foreign-trained medical doctors still screwed in this pandemic

https://vancouversun.com/opinion/column ... inst-them/

This is about how emigrating to Canada is not good for highly trained professionals, even in this pandemic where we desperately more medical staff.

Does this include people attending medical schools in USA?
18 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2006
1363 posts
1469 upvotes
Toronto
eldiablo wrote: https://www.cfms.org/files/position-pap ... _final.pdf

I think this is more about protecting their own turf by CFMS and the inefficiencies procured by CMA.
Yep, most of the "professional" professions will have something like this in place to maintain supply and demand and thereby the money that their unions and members can make. There needs to be something to help ensure that the foreign-trained doctor/nurse/engineer/etc meets the standards that we have here but what we have in place is from what I have heard pretty much like willing the lottery to be able to get into one of these programs. Instead we have more than a few people who have gone through years of training driving taxis/Uber or working in roles that they did not need to go through years of training for. Massive gap between what we a looking for when we promote immigration to Canada and what the reality of the respective professional boards will allow.
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2007
14365 posts
2360 upvotes
Sgtalpowell wrote: If someone had already done 3 years of medical residency in USA, why would he be coming back and doing the same thing for another 2 years?
I absolutely agree.
maple1 wrote: Yep, most of the "professional" professions will have something like this in place to maintain supply and demand and thereby the money that their unions and members can make. There needs to be something to help ensure that the foreign-trained doctor/nurse/engineer/etc meets the standards that we have here but what we have in place is from what I have heard pretty much like willing the lottery to be able to get into one of these programs. Instead we have more than a few people who have gone through years of training driving taxis/Uber or working in roles that they did not need to go through years of training for. Massive gap between what we a looking for when we promote immigration to Canada and what the reality of the respective professional boards will allow.
We have a couple (maybe more) of MD's who regularly participate in OT section and who are likely educated/trained in Canada. Would love to hear their opinion.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
24801 posts
3060 upvotes
Montreal
Give 'em temporary licenses. Screw the N95 and gear masks and send 'em to the frontlines I say.
Sr. Member
Jun 21, 2011
953 posts
143 upvotes
YYZ
mr_raider wrote: Give 'em temporary licenses. Screw the N95 and gear masks and send 'em to the frontlines I say.
why put them at risk. just because they are not Canadians! would you like us to do the same to you if you were an international doctor??!!
Sr. Member
Nov 22, 2017
604 posts
348 upvotes
I am glad more people are starting to realize that doctors in this country have fought tooth and nail to limit IMGs as much as possible so that they can improve their position on wage negotiations with the government. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to determine that a person receiving a medical education in Australia, Germany, Britain, France, USA or any other first world country should have the same opportunities as a person receiving their training locally. In fact IMGs shouldn't be discriminated based on the country they studied in, instead their accreditation should be accepted based on their international school's ranking and curriculum. If they have all the same classes and same hands on training that a student at a Canadian school has why shouldn't it be easier for them to practice in Canada?
Deal Guru
Feb 7, 2017
14580 posts
11787 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Extrahard wrote: I am glad more people are starting to realize that doctors in this country have fought tooth and nail to limit IMGs as much as possible so that they can improve their position on wage negotiations with the government. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to determine that a person receiving a medical education in Australia, Germany, Britain, France, USA or any other first world country should have the same opportunities as a person receiving their training locally. In fact IMGs shouldn't be discriminated based on the country they studied in, instead their accreditation should be accepted based on their international school's ranking and curriculum. If they have all the same classes and same hands on training that a student at a Canadian school has why shouldn't it be easier for them to practice in Canada?
This

I can see maybe a one year or 18 month ... retrofit / probationary period
To ensure that the foreign trained person is up to Cdn Standards and methodology

But to exclude entirely to me has always seemed like such a waste
And YES bordering on racism (excluding by race, ethnicity, nationality)
That our Cdn Laws STAND UP AGAINST

But then again... there’s them that disagree ... and harbour ideas that can only be called bordering on racism
Like this exchange
mr_raider wrote: Give 'em temporary licenses. Screw the N95 and gear masks and send 'em to the frontlines I say.
bas00m wrote: why put them at risk. just because they are not Canadians! would you like us to do the same to you if you were an international doctor??!!
Thankfully there’s more who think like you & me, and @bas00m

There are foreign born Doctors & Nurses who want to immigrate to Canada
Canada NEEDS Doctors & Nurses
So we should work out a system where both NEEDS are met
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2007
14365 posts
2360 upvotes
PointsHubby wrote: This

I can see maybe a one year or 18 month ... retrofit / probationary period
To ensure that the foreign trained person is up to Cdn Standards and methodology

But to exclude entirely to me has always seemed like such a waste
And YES bordering on racism (excluding by race, ethnicity, nationality)
That our Cdn Laws STAND UP AGAINST

But then again... there’s them that disagree ... and harbour ideas that can only be called bordering on racism
Like this exchange

Thankfully there’s more who think like you & me, and @bas00m

There are foreign born Doctors & Nurses who want to immigrate to Canada
Canada NEEDS Doctors & Nurses
So we should work out a system where both NEEDS are met
Guess where most of those doctors are coming from? Definitely not from Germany, UK, Australia, USA or France.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5473473/
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Nov 13, 2010
6768 posts
1260 upvotes
Scarborough
Time to let all of them (doctors and nurses) work by issuing them licenses.
They can self study on “canadian styles” on their own (i doubt if they need it tho).
Just need to be aware of different medicine names/formulas.
Let them work permanently after this pandemic either at hospitals and or their own clinics. That way more cdns can have a family doctor
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
9265 posts
1707 upvotes
Toronto
Now is probably a good time to apply for a green card in the US if they have nothing keeping them in Canada.
They'll still have to do preliminary stuff before they can practice but the US tends to have greater opportunity for assimilation in this field than does Canada.
Most smart foreign trained Medical professionals would be wise to only use Canada as a stepping stone to the US.
Canadian medical associations make it particularly hard for them to assimilate for obvious reasons already stated above.
Banned
User avatar
Dec 15, 2017
1847 posts
594 upvotes
Toronto
eldiablo wrote: Guess where most of those doctors are coming from? Definitely not from Germany, UK, Australia, USA or France.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5473473/
Chinese and Indian doctors cannot be any worse than canadian doctors, I always travel south of the border to a foreign country to get advice on medical issues, same thing with my dental work, I won't let a canadian dentist touch my mouth. I had a gap in my front teeth, 3 different canadian dentists had $8,000 to $16,000 solutions; yank out my 2 front teeth and put inserts close together. Went to a 3rd world country dentist, he put a mini-brace on my front teeth and told me to wear it 7 months, job done, total cost? About $300 canadian.
Deal Guru
Feb 29, 2008
12240 posts
7352 upvotes
No one ever mentions this when they complain about migrants getting a free ride in Canada.

Top