Personal Finance

Forgot I used my backup TD Visa a couple times, now two months later I paid it, think I got a non payment on my credit?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 13th, 2020 4:34 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2011
3892 posts
2811 upvotes
Toronto

Forgot I used my backup TD Visa a couple times, now two months later I paid it, think I got a non payment on my credit?

I am diligent on never missing a payment in full on any loan/credit card, etc, and have great credit for when I need it. I lost my Mastercard for a while a couple months ago and used my TD Visa a few times and totally forgot to pay it. I don't get the paper mail for it and it slipped my mind, I have gone a year without using it before.

My question now is, by missing the May and June statements, was this enough time to get a non-payment strike on my credit report? This will be my first mark on my report in 15 years. Is there a grace period of a certain amount of time before I get it?

I bought an equifax thing last night for what I thought had the report, and it was just identity theft crap, so I wasted $12 on that and didn't even get to check. Not paying $30 or whatever they want for the actual report.
------------------------------------
14 replies
Deal Addict
May 16, 2017
2271 posts
2963 upvotes
You can use creditkarma or borrowell to get a free credit score and report.

Often a 30-day late won't be a big deal and may not get reported - 60 days late will typically be reported and will show up as a late payment on your credit report.
May 9, 2019
106 posts
107 upvotes
Montreal, QC
You may call the institution which issued your MasterCard to verify directly your situation. It should be able to tell you if non-payment or late payment on your MasterCard has been reported to the credit bureau.

Some institutions use Equifax, others use TransUnion. It would be too bad that you paid for Equifax when your MasterCard is actually filed at TransUnion.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2011
3892 posts
2811 upvotes
Toronto
xistop wrote: You can do the Equifax free 1-month trial which includes your score and credit reports. But remember to call in and cancel after a month otherwise they will continue charging your credit card.

https://www.consumer.equifax.ca/canada/ ... al-en.html
Thanks but already used it
May 9, 2019
106 posts
107 upvotes
Montreal, QC
FYI, it's possible to get your free credit report from Equifax and TransUnion sent to your home by postal mail. TransUnion also provides it freely online. Such report gives a lot of details (e.g. history) that you don't get with Credit Karma or Borrowell, excluding credit score.
Dec 26, 2019
686 posts
1167 upvotes
xistop wrote: You can do the Equifax free 1-month trial which includes your score and credit reports. But remember to call in and cancel after a month otherwise they will continue charging your credit card.

https://www.consumer.equifax.ca/canada/ ... al-en.html
I just be doing something wrong. I signed up for this and got the credit report information, but didn’t see my score anywhere.
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2017
2595 posts
2120 upvotes
GTA West
CoolDudeClan wrote: I am diligent on never missing a payment in full on any loan/credit card, etc, and have great credit for when I need it. I lost my Mastercard for a while a couple months ago and used my TD Visa a few times and totally forgot to pay it. I don't get the paper mail for it and it slipped my mind, I have gone a year without using it before.

My question now is, by missing the May and June statements, was this enough time to get a non-payment strike on my credit report? This will be my first mark on my report in 15 years. Is there a grace period of a certain amount of time before I get it?

I bought an equifax thing last night for what I thought had the report, and it was just identity theft crap, so I wasted $12 on that and didn't even get to check. Not paying $30 or whatever they want for the actual report.
I didn't realize ONE missed payment in 15 years could cause such worries and impact your credit score and ability get credit! I wouldn't worry about the score now - what's done is done.
Jun 19, 2009
34 posts
31 upvotes
reversi wrote: I just be doing something wrong. I signed up for this and got the credit report information, but didn’t see my score anywhere.
When you do the trial you should be signed up to the Equifax Complete™ Premier plan. It should say that on the Dashboard.
Deal Guru
Dec 5, 2006
12692 posts
7841 upvotes
Markham
Dealmaker1945 wrote: I didn't realize ONE missed payment in 15 years could cause such worries and impact your credit score and ability get credit! I wouldn't worry about the score now - what's done is done.
Of course OP is worried. In current situation, financial institutions are tightening their requirements and OP's score dropped (hopefully not), this will impact OP ability to get new credit
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2011
3892 posts
2811 upvotes
Toronto
Dealmaker1945 wrote: I didn't realize ONE missed payment in 15 years could cause such worries and impact your credit score and ability get credit! I wouldn't worry about the score now - what's done is done.
Trying to buy a house right now. Bad timing.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 15, 2017
5140 posts
5095 upvotes
Ottawa
Credit card account payments are rates in 30 day increments. This means that you have to be 30 days late - aka, 30 days beyond when your payment was due before the late payment is recorded. As you state that you missed your May and June statements, depending on when you received your statement and when your payment date was, chances are that you were at least 30 days late. If so, your account will go from R1 to R2 (31 to 59 days late). If you made your payment at or after the 60 days, the account will be rated at R3 (60 - 89 days late).

Right now what is done is done. Just make sure that you paid the account and that there isn't any outstanding interest owing. I would suggest that you check your statements for the next couple of months to make sure that there aren't any interest charges.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2002
6330 posts
6693 upvotes
Toronto
smartie wrote: Of course OP is worried. In current situation, financial institutions are tightening their requirements and OP's score dropped (hopefully not), this will impact OP ability to get new credit
As it should... I mean, OP pretty much admitted they "forgot to pay"... Banks don't prefer to lend to people who are forgetful/etc.
Si Tacuisses, Philosophus Mansisses
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2011
3892 posts
2811 upvotes
Toronto
hoob wrote: As it should... I mean, OP pretty much admitted they "forgot to pay"... Banks don't prefer to lend to people who are forgetful/etc.
It's just a card I've used maybe 5 times in the last 5 years, probably less. So it slipped my mind that I had. I have no other services with TD either. Besides that I have never not made a payment in full every month for a long time. Sucks