Personal Finance

Forgot to report some income in Tax return

  • Last Updated:
  • May 19th, 2020 7:00 pm
[OP]
Jr. Member
Sep 27, 2012
141 posts
67 upvotes
GVA

Forgot to report some income in Tax return

I earned around $200 for doing election duty and forgot to report in the tax return. I don’t think I got T4 for it (federal elections) and that is the reason I forgot as I just put all tax slips in a bag and at tax time just use all. How do I correct the returns now? I looked at T1 Adjustment and not sure how I mention on it that I am reporting election Canada income. Do I need to report total income there or just this additional income. Can I do it through Studio Tax and file this adjustment through it electronically. Luckily tax filing deadline this year is still few weeks away so I guess I don’t have to pay any penalty.

Lastly how do I find what I was paid and if they did any deductions. I have heard that CRA sometimes correct your return if they find such mistakes but they didn’t do it in my case and I got the refund I was expecting.
23 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2017
4031 posts
2299 upvotes
Ultimate12 wrote: I earned around $200 for doing election duty and forgot to report in the tax return. I don’t think I got T4 for it (federal elections) and that is the reason I forgot as I just put all tax slips in a bag and at tax time just use all. How do I correct the returns now? I looked at T1 Adjustment and not sure how I mention on it that I am reporting election Canada income. Do I need to report total income there or just this additional income. Can I do it through Studio Tax and file this adjustment through it electronically. Luckily tax filing deadline this year is still few weeks away so I guess I don’t have to pay any penalty.

Lastly how do I find what I was paid and if they did any deductions. I have heard that CRA sometimes correct your return if they find such mistakes but they didn’t do it in my case and I got the refund I was expecting.
You can update your tax file in Studiotax and select Refile(i.e. select CRA, then Refile in studiotax software) to send an updated tax return to CRA. Make sure you wait until you got the latest NOA(notice of assessment) before Refile.
If a T4 was issued, but you didn't receive it for some reason, then you can find it online if you have registered CRA Myacct access.
Member
May 24, 2018
384 posts
247 upvotes
Ontario
"According to Canada Revenue Agency rules, polling day workers who worked less than 35 hours, earned less than $500 and did not pay statutory deductions will not get a T4 slip" (source) ... so no T4, no deductions and full amount deposited supposedly to your chequing account.

Hope this helps.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 29, 2003
4792 posts
398 upvotes
GTA
Don’t worry, they will reassess next year automatically
[OP]
Jr. Member
Sep 27, 2012
141 posts
67 upvotes
GVA
Rockdaddy22 wrote: It’s actually death, believe it or not.
Why so much hate? I know no big deal but want to correct the mistake. Is anything wrong with it?

God bless you.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 13, 2007
3494 posts
2153 upvotes
Edmonton
Tax evasion is a serious crime.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Feb 1, 2012
1465 posts
2045 upvotes
Thunder Bay, ON
The easiest way is just use the Refile in your tax software.
https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency ... iders.html

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency ... eturn.html

Alternatively, if you have a CRA MyAccount you could do an online adjustment request, or mail in the form to which you referred. But Refile is likely the easiest.

How do you determine how much you got paid? Did you deposit a cheque and if so can you check your bank statements? Failing that you could try contacting whoever paid you, whether it's Elections Canada or you local returning office.
I solemnly swear, to never assume I have an inkling at which direction the market will head, and to never make any investments based on a timing strategy.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 16, 2011
3930 posts
3480 upvotes
The NORTH
A lot of people in here are going stir crazy from the lockdown or something. It was a pretty simple question. LOL
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2012
1265 posts
602 upvotes
Regina
starchoice wrote: Tax evasion is a serious crime.
But applying for CERB even if not eligible is less of a crime...
Looking to buy Epson HT2150ST
[OP]
Jr. Member
Sep 27, 2012
141 posts
67 upvotes
GVA
Thanks. This seems to be easiest option. I will try to do it soon. I am trying to find as somehow remember that election Canada sent a Pay slip though unable to find right now. Paid directly to the account so likely should be able to find total amount paid from transactions. Good suggestions.
Deepwater wrote: The easiest way is just use the Refile in your tax software.
https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency ... iders.html

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency ... eturn.html

Alternatively, if you have a CRA MyAccount you could do an online adjustment request, or mail in the form to which you referred. But Refile is likely the easiest.

How do you determine how much you got paid? Did you deposit a cheque and if so can you check your bank statements? Failing that you could try contacting whoever paid you, whether it's Elections Canada or you local returning office.
[OP]
Jr. Member
Sep 27, 2012
141 posts
67 upvotes
GVA
Where is the cheating? Do you have issue in understanding? Simply forgot a small amount and realize the error and going to correct it within tax filing deadline. CRA has no time for $30-40 taxes.
smokescreen15 wrote: You better read up on what happens to tax cheats, enjoy a lifetime of desk audits, hope the $200 was worth it:

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency ... tions.html
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 16, 2009
1487 posts
359 upvotes
Ultimate12 wrote: Where is the cheating? Do you have issue in understanding? Simply forgot a small amount and realize the error and going to correct it within tax filing deadline. CRA has no time for $30-40 taxes.
Relax tax cheat, we are just teasing.
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2017
2084 posts
1511 upvotes
Ultimate12 wrote: Where is the cheating? Do you have issue in understanding? Simply forgot a small amount and realize the error and going to correct it within tax filing deadline. CRA has no time for $30-40 taxes.
Most of the people here are trolling/teasing you, just amend your tax return, nothing wrong with it, since there's no balance owing that's overdue yet. See here and pick your choice of method: https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency ... eturn.html

It should go on line 10400 (formerly known as line 104), if you didn't get a T4 for it (if it was the one day, there's going to be no source deductions and no T4). I've changed my tax return before, missed something and added it back via MyCRA after it was assessed. Chose the line to change, entered new amount, submitted, showed the balance after it was complete. All done within a few minutes!
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jun 23, 2017
1200 posts
703 upvotes
Toronto, ON
file an amendment on line.
so easy. i had to do this... on CRA website... just told them which Box needs to be changed and what the new/correct value is. Done and re-submittted for assessment and no worry of being caught and penalized.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 10, 2018
3721 posts
790 upvotes
centre of universe
Ultimate12 wrote: I earned around $200 for doing election duty and forgot to report in the tax return. I don’t think I got T4 for it (federal elections) and that is the reason I forgot as I just put all tax slips in a bag and at tax time just use all. How do I correct the returns now? I looked at T1 Adjustment and not sure how I mention on it that I am reporting election Canada income. Do I need to report total income there or just this additional income. Can I do it through Studio Tax and file this adjustment through it electronically. Luckily tax filing deadline this year is still few weeks away so I guess I don’t have to pay any penalty.

Lastly how do I find what I was paid and if they did any deductions. I have heard that CRA sometimes correct your return if they find such mistakes but they didn’t do it in my case and I got the refund I was expecting.
OP why are you worried about $200? It is not big deal.
As others suggested do it online. oh comeon
IEpicDestroyer wrote: Most of the people here are trolling/teasing you, just amend your tax return, nothing wrong with it, since there's no balance owing that's overdue yet. See here and pick your choice of method:
Not sure but May be OP is doing same.
I dont care about Ethics, morals, rules or laws. I will apologies only when I get caught.
I try not to apologies but sometimes do it. not because its right thing but it benefits me.
New Mantra for idiots Just ask RFD before searching answers anywhere.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 9, 2012
3460 posts
2098 upvotes
Kitchener
Amend your tax return and include a T4-A (Other) and add $200. Put in Elections Canada as your employer.

It's $200 and the CRA won't give a rats behind of what you did. ..you might end up owing them $50 or whatever tho -- that said, I am unsure if there is a tax credit for Elections Canada staff...
Why can't we all just get along?
Newbie
Apr 13, 2009
11 posts
2 upvotes
Ontario
I made a mistake on mine this year and fixed it all online on the CRA site. Entered the revised/amended amount on box #, it was re-assessed automagically, and a box showed up that I owed like $50 and change. Paid it online through their link. The pmt box still said I owed them the $ after I already paid though. It eventually disappeared. 4 days later a Notice of reassessment showed up online.

Top