• Last Updated:
  • Oct 12th, 2019 5:21 pm
[OP]
Jul 23, 2006
106 posts
10 upvotes
Toronto

Fortino's Turkey Breast Roast/Roll

This thanksgiving I'm thinking about not cooking a full turkey since we are only 4 people and looking at other options.

I see in the Fortino's flyer starting today they have a Turkey Breast Roast that you cook yourself and can either be bought stuffed or unstuffed.

Has anyone tried this before? If so, what did you think of it?

In the past I have tried the butterball turkey roll, but it tastes and looked so processed to me. I wasn't a fan of it.

Thanks.
25 replies
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2010
6723 posts
3788 upvotes
Aurora
TASP1978 wrote: This thanksgiving I'm thinking about not cooking a full turkey since we are only 4 people and looking at other options.

I see in the Fortino's flyer starting today they have a Turkey Breast Roast that you cook yourself and can either be bought stuffed or unstuffed.

In the past I have tried the butterball turkey roll, but it tastes and looked so processed to me. I wasn't a fan of it.

Thanks.
Do you mean the Turkey Breast Roast in this week's flyer for 24.99? I've never tried it (though I've had the Butterball boneless Turkey Roasts). In my opinion, the value is terrible. $24.99 for the advertised 1.375kg is about $8.26 a pound. Whole turkeys are being advertised all over the place this week for $1.49 a pound or less. That's a huge difference. I have a family of three. We do a whole turkey for Thanksgiving, then I shred the leftovers and use it for lunch meat - lots left over for sandwiches and wraps and you can freeze it, too. I make stock out of the carcass. I think the boneless turkey roast, although convenient, is a very inefficient use of money and not a good value. Oh, and you also need to buy gravy with the boneless roast (another 1 - 3 bucks) whereas the neck, giblets, and drippings of a whole turkey can easily be made into free gravy.

BTW, the Butterball boneless roasts are currently on sale at Sobey's for $12 each (1.5kg). Still not a good value compared to a full turkey but about half of what they normally sell for.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
6729 posts
2949 upvotes
so this is meat from wrecked utility turkeys they cannot sell, so they squeeze this into a tube and sell it back to you as a premium product?
[OP]
Jul 23, 2006
106 posts
10 upvotes
Toronto
badOne wrote: so this is meat from wrecked utility turkeys they cannot sell, so they squeeze this into a tube and sell it back to you as a premium product?
This is what I'm asking about. It looks like turkey breast, not a "squeezed" product
Screenshot_20191010-232839_Flipp.jpg
[OP]
Jul 23, 2006
106 posts
10 upvotes
Toronto
DiceMan wrote: Do you mean the Turkey Breast Roast in this week's flyer for 24.99? I've never tried it (though I've had the Butterball boneless Turkey Roasts). In my opinion, the value is terrible. $24.99 for the advertised 1.375kg is about $8.26 a pound. Whole turkeys are being advertised all over the place this week for $1.49 a pound or less. That's a huge difference. I have a family of three. We do a whole turkey for Thanksgiving, then I shred the leftovers and use it for lunch meat - lots left over for sandwiches and wraps and you can freeze it, too. I make stock out of the carcass. I think the boneless turkey roast, although convenient, is a very inefficient use of money and not a good value. Oh, and you also need to buy gravy with the boneless roast (another 1 - 3 bucks) whereas the neck, giblets, and drippings of a whole turkey can easily be made into free gravy.

BTW, the Butterball boneless roasts are currently on sale at Sobey's for $12 each (1.5kg). Still not a good value compared to a full turkey but about half of what they normally sell for.
Yes, that's the one. I was just looking at simpler option since we are not big turkey eaters and a whole turkey would go to waste. Dont like leftover turkey.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36189 posts
10335 upvotes
Ottawa
badOne wrote: so this is meat from wrecked utility turkeys they cannot sell, so they squeeze this into a tube and sell it back to you as a premium product?
Well, they do use meat glue to keep those wrecked pieces together LOL

Just go to a store and buy a turkey breast. Make stuffing separately.
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
4029 posts
1897 upvotes
Mississauga
TASP1978 wrote: This thanksgiving I'm thinking about not cooking a full turkey since we are only 4 people and looking at other options.

Thanks.
At this price you might as well get the ButterBall frozen breast from FreshCo at $12 for 1.5kg.
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
4029 posts
1897 upvotes
Mississauga
Pete_Coach wrote: Well, they do use meat glue to keep those wrecked pieces together LOL

Just go to a store and buy a turkey breast. Make stuffing separately.
There is nothing wrong with meat glue.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36189 posts
10335 upvotes
Ottawa
cRaZyRaVr wrote: There is nothing wrong with meat glue.
Of course. :rolleyes:
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
13016 upvotes
cRaZyRaVr wrote: There is nothing wrong with meat glue.
Thank you.

I don't know what the wholesale cost of it would be but it's not very economical to glue 2 shit cuts together even buying the "restaurant" sized one.
Plus it goes bad in a hurry so you can't exactly stock up on it.
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
4029 posts
1897 upvotes
Mississauga
Pete_Coach wrote: Of course. :rolleyes:
Ok. Whats wrong with it then? MSG also bad???? Ditto GMO???
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36189 posts
10335 upvotes
Ottawa
cRaZyRaVr wrote: Ok. Whats wrong with it then? MSG also bad???? Ditto GMO???
Google is your friend.

"While some are harmless, others can be bad for your health. Transglutaminase, better known as meat glue, is a controversial food additive that many people avoid due to health concerns." https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/transglutaminase

Personally I could not care less what you eat.
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
4029 posts
1897 upvotes
Mississauga
Pete_Coach wrote: Google is your friend.

"While some are harmless, others can be bad for your health. Transglutaminase, better known as meat glue, is a controversial food additive that many people avoid due to health concerns." https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/transglutaminase

Personally I could not care less what you eat.
Again. How is this bad???????
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36189 posts
10335 upvotes
Ottawa
cRaZyRaVr wrote: Again. How is this bad???????
I read and re-read my posts. Can't find where I said that.
As I said, and will say again "Personally I could not care less what you eat. ".
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
13016 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote: I read and re-read my posts. Can't find where I said that.
As I said, and will say again "Personally I could not care less what you eat. ".
You kind of implied it here:
Pete_Coach wrote: "While some are harmless, others can be bad for your health. Transglutaminase, better known as meat glue, is a controversial food additive that many people avoid due to health concerns."
The funny thing is... your article has a lot of "may" and "possible" or "suggested" ending it with "However, there is no scientific research directly linking transglutaminase to an increased risk of disease"

So let's make it sound real scary by listing all the things that it "may" do but not actually back it with any scientific research.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36189 posts
10335 upvotes
Ottawa
death_hawk wrote: You kind of implied it here:

The funny thing is... your article has a lot of "may" and "possible" or "suggested" ending it with "However, there is no scientific research directly linking transglutaminase to an increased risk of disease"

So let's make it sound real scary by listing all the things that it "may" do but not actually back it with any scientific research.
I never implied anything. I posted that link and quote based on my comment "Google is our friend".
The guy asked and I linked. He could have very easily countered, yet he did not .
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
13016 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote: I never implied anything. I posted that link and quote based on my comment "Google is our friend".
Sure you did. You linked a post that implied that it's a bad thing.
If that doesn't support your position, why would you link it in the first place?
Especially since the connotation behind "Google is our friend" implies that @cRaZyRaVr should google other bad things that may or may not happen.
The guy asked and I linked. He could have very easily countered, yet he did not .
I don't expect him to be at the computer 24/7 waiting for a counter argument.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36189 posts
10335 upvotes
Ottawa
death_hawk wrote: Sure you did. You linked a post that implied that it's a bad thing.
If that doesn't support your position, why would you link it in the first place?
Especially since the connotation behind "Google is our friend" implies that @cRaZyRaVr should google other bad things that may or may not happen.

I don't expect him to be at the computer 24/7 waiting for a counter argument.
Google is your friend was to answer "Ok. Whats wrong with it then? MSG also bad???? Ditto GMO???"."
He asked what is wrong, I gave the first hit google provided. Just answered his question. I have no position, I said, and will say for a third time "Personally I could not care less what you eat. "
Why are you so concerned that his question was answered? You his protector? You have a better response? Then provide it. End my misery LOL.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
13016 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote: He asked what is wrong, I gave the first hit google provided. Just answered his question.
That's not an answer. It's a waste of a post.
I have no position
Oh I'm sorry. Post #9 must be some other @Pete_Coach then.
Why are you so concerned that his question was answered?
I'm also curious as to why meat glue would be bad.
You his protector?
Nope. Curious participant in the conversation based on the thread history.
You have a better response? Then provide it. End my misery LOL.
Ironically using your article but ignoring safety concerns and anything below it covers things quite nicely.

I could go on about MSG being good too, but I've covered that in quite a few other posts.

GMO is less clear cut but it's not the boogeyman that most people imply it is.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36189 posts
10335 upvotes
Ottawa
death_hawk wrote: That's not an answer. It's a waste of a post.

Oh I'm sorry. Post #9 must be some other @Pete_Coach then.
It says "Of course" :rolleyes: Problem? Or you don't like it?
death_hawk wrote: I'm also curious as to why meat glue would be bad.
Google is your friend.
death_hawk wrote: Ironically using your article but ignoring safety concerns and anything below it covers things quite nicely.

I could go on about MSG being good too, but I've covered that in quite a few other posts.

GMO is less clear cut but it's not the boogeyman that most people imply it is.
OK.
If you wish to start another thread on these two subjects, by all means go ahead. I stayed on topic.

Bottom line, if you do not like my responses, move on. Don't rust your shiny armour on such trivial things.