Site Comments & Suggestions

Forums App? (no longer supported - please use the regular RedFlagDeals app)

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 23rd, 2023 10:49 am
Tags:
Jun 4, 2013
591 posts
685 upvotes
GTA

Forums App? (no longer supported - please use the regular RedFlagDeals app)

Hi,

Does the forums app no longer exist? When I click on the button for Apple, it says it's not available in "my region". I'm in Canada.

Thanks!
Last edited by TomRFD on Nov 3rd, 2021 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: updated title
415 replies
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
18226 posts
36619 upvotes
Scarborough
It was discontinued earlier this year. Some features may continue to work, but it's completely unsupported so we don't recommend that you still use it.
RFD Staff - Got a question? Send me a private message.
[Forum Rules] [Deal Alerts]
Jun 4, 2013
591 posts
685 upvotes
GTA
I haven't used this forum much over the years but i have to say the little bit I used it in the past few weeks has been a game changer for me personally. I was able to sell my car and make a big decision on home buying thanks to RFD!! Thank you!

Anyway, a nice mobile app would just make RFD much more accessible so I hope something is in the works for the future.
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
18226 posts
36619 upvotes
Scarborough
muscan wrote: I haven't used this forum much over the years but i have to say the little bit I used it in the past few weeks has been a game changer for me personally. I was able to sell my car and make a big decision on home buying thanks to RFD!! Thank you!

Anyway, a nice mobile app would just make RFD much more accessible so I hope something is in the works for the future.
Thanks for your kind words! There are a lot of great resources here so I'm glad to hear its helped you out a lot in the past few weeks.

We're always looking to improve our mobile app. The forums section in the app should continue to improve as we build more advanced features into it (like we had in the previous Forums app).
Jun 4, 2013
591 posts
685 upvotes
GTA
Oh so you mean to say the regular mobile app has forum capabilities. I didn't realize that. I will try it out!
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2010
3781 posts
1770 upvotes
Edmonton
Ah so this is why I can no longer login.

I have had both RFD apps but always used the forums app as I found it to be better all around. Sad to see it go.

Am I correct that there are no push notifications for the RFD app for subscribed threads? I have a feeling I won't be as active without mobile notifications for my subscribed threads.
Deal Expert
Dec 5, 2006
16792 posts
12577 upvotes
Markham
TheGoodDealer wrote: Ah so this is why I can no longer login.

I have had both RFD apps but always used the forums app as I found it to be better all around. Sad to see it go.

Am I correct that there are no push notifications for the RFD app for subscribed threads? I have a feeling I won't be as active without mobile notifications for my subscribed threads.
I miss forum app as well.

Current redflagdeal app is super annoying when you try to back from sub forum to main forum ( for example from credit card forum to personal finance)
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2010
3781 posts
1770 upvotes
Edmonton
smartie wrote: I miss forum app as well.

Current redflagdeal app is super annoying when you try to back from sub forum to main forum ( for example from credit card forum to personal finance)
and I had no idea you replied to me until I manually checked 12 hours later :-(

I really hope there is something in the works, just need mobile notifications for subscribed threads, quotes, etc.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2015
5779 posts
6722 upvotes
Alberta
Please bring back the forum app. Infinitely better. I like the way it brings you to the first unread post in each thread. Thread subscriptions, better notifications, pinned forums, and many other features not available on other app. Please.
Aug 5, 2019
146 posts
110 upvotes
Is there anyway to have the new app launch directly to the Hot Deals forum?
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
18226 posts
36619 upvotes
Scarborough
Lush78 wrote: Please bring back the forum app. Infinitely better. I like the way it brings you to the first unread post in each thread. Thread subscriptions, better notifications, pinned forums, and many other features not available on other app. Please.
The forums app definitely had some great features, but it became too difficult for the mobile dev team to continue supporting two independent apps. The plan is to bring native forum support into the main app (instead of just the web view like it is now). We're currently working on a major update to the log in system but after that I'll try to see if I can get a timeline on when we might start to see forums app features roll out to the main app.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2015
5779 posts
6722 upvotes
Alberta
TomRFD wrote: The forums app definitely had some great features, but it became too difficult for the mobile dev team to continue supporting two independent apps. The plan is to bring native forum support into the main app (instead of just the web view like it is now). We're currently working on a major update to the log in system but after that I'll try to see if I can get a timeline on when we might start to see forums app features roll out to the main app.
Thanks for the reply. It is now very difficult to remain up to date. I really like the feature to mark forums read. I would use the forums app frequently to scroll down from newest to last read, then mark forums read. This way I would never miss any threads. Subscribe to many threads and set deal alerts. Now it's a chore to click a thread and scroll through pages trying to find where I left off. Also having to switch between app and chrome desktop mode to mark forums read which is very cumbersome. Looking forward to updates. Thank you for listening to my feedback.
Deal Expert
Dec 5, 2006
16792 posts
12577 upvotes
Markham
Lush78 wrote: Thanks for the reply. It is now very difficult to remain up to date. I really like the feature to mark forums read. I would use the forums app frequently to scroll down from newest to last read, then mark forums read. This way I would never miss any threads. Subscribe to many threads and set deal alerts. Now it's a chore to click a thread and scroll through pages trying to find where I left off. Also having to switch between app and chrome desktop mode to mark forums read which is very cumbersome. Looking forward to updates. Thank you for listening to my feedback.
Also in current RFD official iOS app, it's super difficult going back from sub forum to main forums such as from credit card to personal finance
Deal Expert
Dec 5, 2006
16792 posts
12577 upvotes
Markham
TomRFD wrote: The forums app definitely had some great features, but it became too difficult for the mobile dev team to continue supporting two independent apps. The plan is to bring native forum support into the main app (instead of just the web view like it is now). We're currently working on a major update to the log in system but after that I'll try to see if I can get a timeline on when we might start to see forums app features roll out to the main app.
Question: how did we decide which app should stay? Like one is native app and one is web view, shouldn't we discontinued web view and continue native one?
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
18226 posts
36619 upvotes
Scarborough
smartie wrote: Also in current RFD official iOS app, it's super difficult going back from sub forum to main forums such as from credit card to personal finance
That's something not unique to the app (since it's just a web view) and it also affects the site in web browsers as well. I don't know if there's an easy way to add parent-forum navigation options to the top of those pages but I'll inquire.
smartie wrote: Question: how did we decide which app should stay? Like one is native app and one is web view, shouldn't we discontinued web view and continue native one?
The forums app was a native experience. The main app only ever used a web view for the forums. Given the complexity of the forums app, and the forums app only applying to the forums, it didn't make sense to only keep that app. There were also a lot more active users for our main app versus the forums app.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2015
5779 posts
6722 upvotes
Alberta
Is it possible to freeze the forum app in its current state and allow users to login?
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
18226 posts
36619 upvotes
Scarborough
Lush78 wrote: Is it possible to freeze the forum app in its current state and allow users to login?
The forums app hasn't changed for a very long time as it was discontinued early this year. The degradation of features was caused by new website updates which never got the corresponding app updates to ensure they kept working. What I believe was the final nail in the Forums app coffin was the update to our log in page (we're in the process of separating from a shared log in with YP.ca) and that appears to have mostly killed off the ability to log in via the Forums app.

Unfortunately there's no real way to "freeze" or bring it back without putting in quite a bit of work. I hope to have some news to share about future development of the forums feature in our main app soon.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2015
5779 posts
6722 upvotes
Alberta
Is there any option to view first unread post in a thread using browser or current app? I can't seem to find that option anywhere and it's become difficult to follow along with threads...
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
18226 posts
36619 upvotes
Scarborough
Lush78 wrote: Is there any option to view first unread post in a thread using browser or current app? I can't seem to find that option anywhere and it's become difficult to follow along with threads...
On mobile view, if you click the 3-dot menu to the right of the thread title it'll expand a menu giving you the option to view First Unread.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)