• Last Updated:
  • Sep 29th, 2020 1:49 pm
Tags:
Administrator
User avatar
Jun 17, 2013
14175 posts
26604 upvotes
Scarborough
smartie wrote: Also in current RFD official iOS app, it's super difficult going back from sub forum to main forums such as from credit card to personal finance
That's something not unique to the app (since it's just a web view) and it also affects the site in web browsers as well. I don't know if there's an easy way to add parent-forum navigation options to the top of those pages but I'll inquire.
smartie wrote: Question: how did we decide which app should stay? Like one is native app and one is web view, shouldn't we discontinued web view and continue native one?
The forums app was a native experience. The main app only ever used a web view for the forums. Given the complexity of the forums app, and the forums app only applying to the forums, it didn't make sense to only keep that app. There were also a lot more active users for our main app versus the forums app.
RFD Staff [Forum Rules] [Facebook] [Twitter].
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 13, 2015
3255 posts
3192 upvotes
Alberta
Is it possible to freeze the forum app in its current state and allow users to login?
Administrator
User avatar
Jun 17, 2013
14175 posts
26604 upvotes
Scarborough
Lush78 wrote: Is it possible to freeze the forum app in its current state and allow users to login?
The forums app hasn't changed for a very long time as it was discontinued early this year. The degradation of features was caused by new website updates which never got the corresponding app updates to ensure they kept working. What I believe was the final nail in the Forums app coffin was the update to our log in page (we're in the process of separating from a shared log in with YP.ca) and that appears to have mostly killed off the ability to log in via the Forums app.

Unfortunately there's no real way to "freeze" or bring it back without putting in quite a bit of work. I hope to have some news to share about future development of the forums feature in our main app soon.
RFD Staff [Forum Rules] [Facebook] [Twitter].
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 13, 2015
3255 posts
3192 upvotes
Alberta
Is there any option to view first unread post in a thread using browser or current app? I can't seem to find that option anywhere and it's become difficult to follow along with threads...
Administrator
User avatar
Jun 17, 2013
14175 posts
26604 upvotes
Scarborough
Lush78 wrote: Is there any option to view first unread post in a thread using browser or current app? I can't seem to find that option anywhere and it's become difficult to follow along with threads...
On mobile view, if you click the 3-dot menu to the right of the thread title it'll expand a menu giving you the option to view First Unread.
RFD Staff [Forum Rules] [Facebook] [Twitter].
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jun 22, 2007
6315 posts
2032 upvotes
Caledon
I am not able to login to the android app.

when i login, it takes me to flyers and when i go back to main app forums view, its again asking me to login. reinstalled the app as well
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 13, 2015
3255 posts
3192 upvotes
Alberta
Mayoo wrote: I am not able to login to the android app.

when i login, it takes me to flyers and when i go back to main app forums view, its again asking me to login. reinstalled the app as well
Unfortunately, the forum app hayd been discontinued and no longer able to login.
Administrator
User avatar
Jun 17, 2013
14175 posts
26604 upvotes
Scarborough
Mayoo wrote: I am not able to login to the android app.

when i login, it takes me to flyers and when i go back to main app forums view, its again asking me to login. reinstalled the app as well
As Lush78 already mentioned, the forums app has been discontinued and is no longer supported.

The main apps forum tab uses a web view so it functions the same as just loading the forum in your web browser. It should save your log in session so you shouldn't have to log in each time you load the forums section in the app.
RFD Staff [Forum Rules] [Facebook] [Twitter].
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 20, 2013
1044 posts
507 upvotes
Scarborough
Wow! I never knew the app was discontinued. Such a bummer.
It was useful in mobile in many ways. You could follow threads quite accurate.
The notifications for new deals was great and overall the usage seemed to be much simpler than the web mobile version.
Jr. Member
Aug 20, 2004
121 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto
The best feature of the old app was push notifications of replies to subscribed threads. Just email notification really doesn't cut it.

I miss it already. Changing phones and the old app won't allow login anymore. So sad.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Feb 13, 2003
5026 posts
5822 upvotes
The forum app is much better than the RFD app. Sad to see it go
get what is cheap, not what you need :lol:
Sr. Member
Oct 17, 2012
984 posts
832 upvotes
Vancouver
Ugh this sucks. My Forums app stopped logging in earlier this month and I came across this while searching for how to fix it. The regular RFD app is awful in comparison.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 20, 2013
1044 posts
507 upvotes
Scarborough
Najeeb wrote: The best feature of the old app was push notifications of replies to subscribed threads. Just email notification really doesn't cut it.

I miss it already. Changing phones and the old app won't allow login anymore. So sad.
BB88 wrote: The forum app is much better than the RFD app. Sad to see it go
sunnysidesolutions wrote: Ugh this sucks. My Forums app stopped logging in earlier this month and I came across this while searching for how to fix it. The regular RFD app is awful in comparison.
I am sure @TomRFD has more stats about how the app is used, but would be a chance for it to be resurrected? Or at least considered to do that. I don't need huge upgrades, just the way it was, for me was great.

Could we make a petition about it :D?
Administrator
User avatar
Jun 17, 2013
14175 posts
26604 upvotes
Scarborough
Harpagon wrote: I am sure @TomRFD has more stats about how the app is used, but would be a chance for it to be resurrected? Or at least considered to do that. I don't need huge upgrades, just the way it was, for me was great.

Could we make a petition about it :D?
Nothing is impossible, but as of right now there are no plans to bring the app back. The current plan is to bring the functionality of the forums app to the forums section of the main app. That however will take time.

If you want to start a petition, that's entirely up to you. I'm currently directing all users who complain about the forums app being discontinued to this thread so that the developers can see all the feedback in one place.
RFD Staff [Forum Rules] [Facebook] [Twitter].

Top