• Last Updated:
  • Sep 29th, 2020 1:49 pm
Tags:
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2013
1042 posts
507 upvotes
Scarborough
TomRFD wrote: Nothing is impossible, but as of right now there are no plans to bring the app back. The current plan is to bring the functionality of the forums app to the forums section of the main app. That however will take time.

If you want to start a petition, that's entirely up to you. I'm currently directing all users who complain about the forums app being discontinued to this thread so that the developers can see all the feedback in one place.
Ok, good to know about that. If the RFD official app will behave like the forums app that will be great. I will try to be as active as possible. I am still very disappointed by the app. The petition was mostly a joke. I assume the developers knowing that there is interest for the app will make the decisions.
Oct 17, 2012
982 posts
810 upvotes
Vancouver
TomRFD wrote: The current plan is to bring the functionality of the forums app to the forums section of the main app.
This sounds great, too! Just want to have the replies/notifications and easy thread viewing all back Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
Deal Fanatic
Feb 13, 2003
5026 posts
5822 upvotes
The only thing that is better on the webview version is the search within a thread, which is missing from the forum app.
get what is cheap, not what you need :lol:
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2015
3247 posts
3154 upvotes
Alberta
I would definitely love to see the forum app return. Staying up to date on RFD is much more difficult now and almost impossible to follow along threads. I used to love subscribing to threads to educate myself of different products and the knowledge base here is huge. My impulse purchases have nearly ended. It's now a chore to check rfd threads instead of the near perfect experience it used to be. I suggest others to voice their opinions on what they miss and hopefully the devs can either fix the login, or expedite porting the features over. The wrong app was killed imo.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2018
5904 posts
5121 upvotes
Lush78 wrote: I would definitely love to see the forum app return. Staying up to date on RFD is much more difficult now and almost impossible to follow along threads. I used to love subscribing to threads to educate myself of different products and the knowledge base here is huge. My impulse purchases have nearly ended. It's now a chore to check rfd threads instead of the near perfect experience it used to be. I suggest others to voice their opinions on what they miss and hopefully the devs can either fix the login, or expedite porting the features over. The wrong app was killed imo.
Absolutely, I've now saved thousands of dollars since I no longer have access to the forums app.

It's virtually impossible to keep up to date with the hot deals, cell phone, personal finance, credit cards threads and more nevermind directly going to messages where someone replied or quoted you.

It's quite interesting that the app was the superior way to use the forums and was never really the #1 priority.

I applaud those that have never used the forums app and yet are able to stay up to date with everything and not miss replies and quotes.

I simply don't have the time to try and replicate everything I was able to do on the forums app, the notifications on keywords for hot deals came in very clutch many times.

Hopefully we'll see the same old features we got used to eventually baked into the rfd app and hopefully it will be available on both Android and iOS at the same time as I might be lucky in having both an Android and iPhone but most aren't and we all know how annoying it is when developers decide to stick with or cater to one OS with priority.
Apr 25, 2005
876 posts
240 upvotes
I'm still using the Forums app albeit I can't log into it.
User experience is much more streamlined as others have mentioned.
I wouldn't have thought that the ability to adapt the new login infrastructure would be so complicated give it that the app seems to work fine for more intents and purposes otherwise.

P.s. I just came to this thread while I was searching why I couldn't log in. I know I've had similar issues in the past even with the web interface on desktop and I kind of assumed that this was also a transient thing and it would just resolve itself. I guess not this time around.
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
14155 posts
26578 upvotes
Scarborough
theshowman wrote: I wouldn't have thought that the ability to adapt the new login infrastructure would be so complicated give it that the app seems to work fine for more intents and purposes otherwise.
The log in system update is a big backend change for us (we're finally migrating off of Yellow Pages Yellow ID system), and since the forums app hasn't been updated in a long time, nor is it receiving any more updates, it's why the ability to log in via the app finally stopped working.

Unless something changes, the plan is still to add forums app features to our main app in 2021. I should have more info to share over the next month or two as we go over our 2021 road map.
RFD Staff [Forum Rules] [Facebook] [Twitter].
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2013
1042 posts
507 upvotes
Scarborough
TomRFD wrote: The log in system update is a big backend change for us (we're finally migrating off of Yellow Pages Yellow ID system), and since the forums app hasn't been updated in a long time, nor is it receiving any more updates, it's why the ability to log in via the app finally stopped working.

Unless something changes, the plan is still to add forums app features to our main app in 2021. I should have more info to share over the next month or two as we go over our 2021 road map.
Thank you for the update. Unfortunately a long time wait will deter many of the current users from using the app feature and probably will lead even the future ones to stop trying it.
Dec 26, 2010
978 posts
695 upvotes
Wish I found this thread sooner before sending off my email about forums app.. thought my login issues were related to being part of the beta program
Aug 19, 2012
909 posts
136 upvotes
do any other apps send notifications for deal alerts you are subscribed to?
Sep 26, 2008
897 posts
193 upvotes
Ottawa
Got logged out today and can no longer login. Bummer! :(
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2011
3198 posts
3835 upvotes
Montreal
I also got logged out in the past 24 hours. The Forums app was all I ever used on my phone, and it had all the functionality I needed. The RFD app is no where near as useable. Not sure how anyone could possibly say they are better off using the RFD app over the Forums app for browsing forums.

Even though I can't log in anymore, I still prefer using the Forums app -- it is still multiple times better than the web view in the RFD app for browsing the forums. Unfortunately, now I won't get any Android notifications, nor be able to reply to threads as easily/quickly.

Such a shame that a very good app was discontinued.
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2011
3198 posts
3835 upvotes
Montreal
Since the Forums app isn't allowing log-ins anymore, and we realistically won't see any similar functionality in the RFD app for at least a year if not two, what are the chances of enabling Tapatalk support for the forums? Even if only as a stop-gap measure? (I'm assuming the RFD forums use some version of vBulletin, so I would assume enabling Tapatalk access would be trivial, and with immaterial cost.)
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2018
5904 posts
5121 upvotes
efrant wrote: I also got logged out in the past 24 hours. The Forums app was all I ever used on my phone, and it had all the functionality I needed. The RFD app is no where near as useable. Not sure how anyone could possibly say they are better off using the RFD app over the Forums app for browsing forums.

Even though I can't log in anymore, I still prefer using the Forums app -- it is still multiple times better than the web view in the RFD app for browsing the forums. Unfortunately, now I won't get any Android notifications, nor be able to reply to threads as easily/quickly.

Such a shame that a very good app was discontinued.
Exactly my thoughts, how can anyone prefer the web interface of the rfd app over the forums app it's much much better.
Dec 6, 2008
674 posts
197 upvotes
Gtaphotog wrote: Exactly my thoughts, how can anyone prefer the web interface of the rfd app over the forums app it's much much better.
Ok. So if the forums app does not work on devices anymore, what is the workaround? Do we use the browser on phone to respond to forums?