• Last Updated:
  • Sep 29th, 2020 1:49 pm
Tags:
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2018
5904 posts
5121 upvotes
itemsale2003 wrote: Ok. So if the forums app does not work on devices anymore, what is the workaround? Do we use the browser on phone to respond to forums?
Desktop/Mobile websites.
Administrator
User avatar
Jun 17, 2013
14154 posts
26578 upvotes
Scarborough
efrant wrote: Since the Forums app isn't allowing log-ins anymore, and we realistically won't see any similar functionality in the RFD app for at least a year if not two, what are the chances of enabling Tapatalk support for the forums? Even if only as a stop-gap measure? (I'm assuming the RFD forums use some version of vBulletin, so I would assume enabling Tapatalk access would be trivial, and with immaterial cost.)
I'm pushing hard to get the Forums app features integrated into our main app, however you're right that it won't happen right away (there are a few other major projects that need the dev team needs to work on first). I'd say 6-7 months would be the soonest it could realistically happen. The strong support being seen for the Forums app here and through our customer service portal is helping my case for getting it done sooner rather than later.

We run PHPBB and not VB. I don't believe PHPBB has native support for Tapatalk and with all our extensive customizations, getting that going could potentially be as big of a job as moving the forums app features into our main app. It doesn't hurt to ask though so I'll definitely bring this up when I have my next meeting with the higher ups.
RFD Staff [Forum Rules] [Facebook] [Twitter].
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 20, 2013
1042 posts
507 upvotes
Scarborough
TomRFD wrote: I'm pushing hard to get the Forums app features integrated into our main app, however you're right that it won't happen right away (there are a few other major projects that need the dev team needs to work on first). I'd say 6-7 months would be the soonest it could realistically happen. The strong support being seen for the Forums app here and through our customer service portal is helping my case for getting it done sooner rather than later.

We run PHPBB and not VB. I don't believe PHPBB has native support for Tapatalk and with all our extensive customizations, getting that going could potentially be as big of a job as moving the forums app features into our main app. It doesn't hurt to ask though so I'll definitely bring this up when I have my next meeting with the higher ups.
I understood that the latest login upgrade was big, Isn't there a chance, until the forums is integrated into the RFD app to have that fixed for the old forum app? Maybe that will be much easier to be done.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2018
5904 posts
5121 upvotes
TomRFD wrote: I'm pushing hard to get the Forums app features integrated into our main app, however you're right that it won't happen right away (there are a few other major projects that need the dev team needs to work on first). I'd say 6-7 months would be the soonest it could realistically happen. The strong support being seen for the Forums app here and through our customer service portal is helping my case for getting it done sooner rather than later.

We run PHPBB and not VB. I don't believe PHPBB has native support for Tapatalk and with all our extensive customizations, getting that going could potentially be as big of a job as moving the forums app features into our main app. It doesn't hurt to ask though so I'll definitely bring this up when I have my next meeting with the higher ups.
Out of curiosity can we get a rundown on monthly users for the forums app and/or any statistics for the app, it'll be pretty interesting to see comparisons of users in the forums with the app vs without it?
Administrator
User avatar
Jun 17, 2013
14154 posts
26578 upvotes
Scarborough
Harpagon wrote: I understood that the latest login upgrade was big, Isn't there a chance, until the forums is integrated into the RFD app to have that fixed for the old forum app? Maybe that will be much easier to be done.
Not being a developer myself, I can't say how much work would be involved to bring the log in functionality back to the Forums app to restore it to a usable state, but I can definitely bring that up during the next meeting as well.
Gtaphotog wrote: Out of curiosity can we get a rundown on monthly users for the forums app and/or any statistics for the app, it'll be pretty interesting to see comparisons of users in the forums with the app vs without it?
I don't have current stats for that, and I'm not sure if I'd be allowed to share it publicly, but I'll ask and see what I can share. I do remember that the main app was definitely more popular (downloads and active users). Hopefully I can at least share the ratio of main app users:forum app users.
RFD Staff [Forum Rules] [Facebook] [Twitter].
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2018
5904 posts
5121 upvotes
TomRFD wrote: Not being a developer myself, I can't say how much work would be involved to bring the log in functionality back to the Forums app to restore it to a usable state, but I can definitely bring that up during the next meeting as well.



I don't have current stats for that, and I'm not sure if I'd be allowed to share it publicly, but I'll ask and see what I can share. I do remember that the main app was definitely more popular (downloads and active users). Hopefully I can at least share the ratio of main app users:forum app users.
Appreciate the efforts you're doing for us forum app users 🙏🏼
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 13, 2015
3245 posts
3152 upvotes
Alberta
It would be great if the forum app could be patched to work with new login system until main app catches up. Please see what can be done to make that possible because the forum app is infinitely better for your most dedicated users. I can't keep up with the deals/threads/alerts anymore without it...
Member
Sep 4, 2015
258 posts
196 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
Definitely going to miss the forums app. Hopefully you're able to update the main app to have as good a UX as in the forums app.

Thanks to the devs in advance
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 9, 2007
1160 posts
514 upvotes
Same scenario here. I still use the app for "anonymous read only forums", but just don't comment/post using the phone anymore due to the sign in issue talked about here.
Administrator
User avatar
Jun 17, 2013
14154 posts
26578 upvotes
Scarborough
I've got some good news to share! Over the past week or so I've been having in-depth talks with both our web and mobile app developers to look into possible ways to restore the Forums app to a usable state again. We were able to identify the issue with not being able to properly log in via the Android app, and are pushing out an update soon which should fix that problem.

Look for the update soon and please let us know here or via our contact us page whether it worked for you or not.

Unfortunately I have no news on iOS right now, but we're still looking into that so there's still a chance we'll also be able to restore that app to a usable state. Please remember though that the app is still technically discontinued, but based on your feedback we wanted to try to make it usable again as a stop-gap solution until we move forward with our regular forums mobile project in 2021.
RFD Staff [Forum Rules] [Facebook] [Twitter].
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2018
5904 posts
5121 upvotes
TomRFD wrote: I've got some good news to share! Over the past week or so I've been having in-depth talks with both our web and mobile app developers to look into possible ways to restore the Forums app to a usable state again. We were able to identify the issue with not being able to properly log in via the Android app, and are pushing out an update soon which should fix that problem.

Look for the update soon and please let us know here or via our contact us page whether it worked for you or not.

Unfortunately I have no news on iOS right now, but we're still looking into that so there's still a chance we'll also be able to restore that app to a usable state. Please remember though that the app is still technically discontinued, but based on your feedback we wanted to try to make it usable again as a stop-gap solution until we move forward with our regular forums mobile project in 2021.
Awesome news, thanks again for pushing hard for us.

Looking forward to an app update and will share my results as soon as I can.
Administrator
User avatar
Jun 17, 2013
14154 posts
26578 upvotes
Scarborough
Gtaphotog wrote: Awesome news, thanks again for pushing hard for us.

Looking forward to an app update and will share my results as soon as I can.
I'll always push for things that'll benefit the forum community.

Please let me know when you get the update and whether it fixes the problem or not.
RFD Staff [Forum Rules] [Facebook] [Twitter].
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 4, 2011
3198 posts
3835 upvotes
Montreal
TomRFD wrote: I'll always push for things that'll benefit the forum community.

Please let me know when you get the update and whether it fixes the problem or not.
It works!!!!!!

A million thanks!
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2018
5904 posts
5121 upvotes
TomRFD wrote: I'll always push for things that'll benefit the forum community.

Please let me know when you get the update and whether it fixes the problem or not.
efrant wrote: It works!!!!!!

A million thanks!
Yes it's working!

Please let everyone else involved in fixing this know how much we appreciate them and their work.

🙏🏼
Administrator
User avatar
Jun 17, 2013
14154 posts
26578 upvotes
Scarborough
Gtaphotog wrote: Yes it's working!

Please let everyone else involved in fixing this know how much we appreciate them and their work.
Glad to hear it! I'll definitely pass your message along to the team. :)
RFD Staff [Forum Rules] [Facebook] [Twitter].

Top