Site Comments & Suggestions

Forums App? (no longer supported - please use the regular RedFlagDeals app)

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 23rd, 2023 10:49 am
Tags:
Deal Fanatic
Jan 4, 2011
7371 posts
9175 upvotes
Montreal
Jin-n-Juice wrote: Not able to get to finance/investing directly in forums app either. But with Android I can goto RFD in browser, goto finance, and select forums in the "open with" pop-up. And able to pin from there
Excellent workaround! And super simple!
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2009
2211 posts
1356 upvotes
Seems like the "Forums" app is fixed? Anyone else experiencing the same.

Thank you whomever fixed it.
Jun 4, 2006
31 posts
10 upvotes
jay-em wrote: Seems like the "Forums" app is fixed? Anyone else experiencing the same.

Thank you whomever fixed it.
Stays logged in longer than before, but still logs me out after looking at a few threads. Progress.
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
18226 posts
36618 upvotes
Scarborough
ChippewaBarr wrote: Feel like I'm talking to myself in here since I've posted about numerous issues with zero response from any mods or admins even when tagged directly in the post.

Not sure how others feel but my engagement on the site has CRATERED hard. 95% of my use of the site is on mobile (previously through the Forums app) now in the RFD app, but I find myself coming on here less and less simply due to it just doesn't work and it's fun to use. Feels like I'm fighting the app half the time - broken functions, poor readability, etc. Like I said the AVS Forum app was built by the same devs as the new RFD app and despite the web forums of both sites being extremely similar, the apps are insanely different. The AVS Forums app should literally just be replicated for RFD...it works SO good.

@TomRFD @Kate M can you respond? I've posted previously about this but no response.
I don't have much clout over what happens with our mobile apps, but what I can say is that the recent log in issues have brought the current state of the apps back on our radar. Kate is well aware of the recent feedback, and we both agree that things regarding the app, specifically the forums component, have not been handled as well as they could have been. While I don't have any current updates to share, I am going to be regularly bringing this issue up in hopes that it helps push us towards an improved app solution for the RFD community.

As for the AVS Forum app, there's many reasons why that isn't a viable solution for us. The primary reason however is that AVS Forum runs on VerticalScope proprietary software which was designed as an "all-in-one" solution for their vast networks of sites, and RFD has too many unique features and customizations for us to jump over.

Hopefully we'll have more news to share after the holidays but in the meanwhile we encourage everyone to keep sharing their feedback here, or via our contact us page.
RFD Staff - Got a question? Send me a private message.
[Forum Rules] [Deal Alerts]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2015
5779 posts
6721 upvotes
Alberta
TomRFD wrote: I don't have much clout over what happens with our mobile apps, but what I can say is that the recent log in issues have brought the current state of the apps back on our radar. Kate is well aware of the recent feedback, and we both agree that things regarding the app, specifically the forums component, have not been handled as well as they could have been. While I don't have any current updates to share, I am going to be regularly bringing this issue up in hopes that it helps push us towards an improved app solution for the RFD community.

As for the AVS Forum app, there's many reasons why that isn't a viable solution for us. The primary reason however is that AVS Forum runs on VerticalScope proprietary software which was designed as an "all-in-one" solution for their vast networks of sites, and RFD has too many unique features and customizations for us to jump over.

Hopefully we'll have more news to share after the holidays but in the meanwhile we encourage everyone to keep sharing their feedback here, or via our contact us page.
Many thanks for the update. The state of the forum app was essentially perfect and feature complete before the login issue surfaced. It would be great to see that issue resolved or to simply merge the forum app and all is features into the main app if the path forward is to only maintain a single app. Thanks for your attention to this issue and bringing our voices to the team. Much appreciated.
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2015
1401 posts
1490 upvotes
Halton, ON
TomRFD wrote: I don't have much clout over what happens with our mobile apps, but what I can say is that the recent log in issues have brought the current state of the apps back on our radar. Kate is well aware of the recent feedback, and we both agree that things regarding the app, specifically the forums component, have not been handled as well as they could have been. While I don't have any current updates to share, I am going to be regularly bringing this issue up in hopes that it helps push us towards an improved app solution for the RFD community.

Thanks for responding. Been waiting for this a while now. The least everyone is expecting is just a bug fix, if there is a bigger plan it's upto the devs.

Please keep us posted in the future.

Cheers!
RFD Staff
Jan 6, 2008
2759 posts
5017 upvotes
Toronto
ChippewaBarr wrote: Feel like I'm talking to myself in here since I've posted about numerous issues with zero response from any mods or admins even when tagged directly in the post.
Tom responded but I just wanted to say thank you for feedback and thank you for patience. And, candidly, thank you for your impatience. The strong feedback we've received has been really, really helpful, and I appreciate it.
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2013
1532 posts
939 upvotes
Scarborough
The fact that the mods are looking into this thread gives me hope. Indeed for the past years (since it has been officially abandoned) the rfd Forums app still proved to be better.
I really hope that the mobile experience will be improved and considered.
Thank you so much for looking into this :D.
Aug 21, 2019
830 posts
609 upvotes
BC
The forum app worked fine until few weeks ago with the log in issue.
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2012
2873 posts
3520 upvotes
Vancouver
BatmanDeals wrote: The forum app worked fine until few weeks ago with the log in issue.
Same for me - While it's "unsupported" I had continued using Forums app all this time without any issue until a few weeks ago. Everyone has detailed the exact issue well. All we really need is to be able to login and stay logged in on the Forums app. Nothing else needs to be done there as the app works fine with the current features.
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2014
2399 posts
3918 upvotes
Onterrible

Kate M wrote: Tom responded but I just wanted to say thank you for feedback and thank you for patience. And, candidly, thank you for your impatience. The strong feedback we've received has been really, really helpful, and I appreciate it.
Thanks both for the responses. Looking forward to the solutions you and the team come up with!
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2012
1201 posts
221 upvotes
I've been using the new app on Android for a few days now and it's just not the same. I have been using the site on desktop instead. Just thought I would share in hopes they fix the old app or completely redesign the new one.
Deal Fanatic
May 28, 2002
8423 posts
312 upvotes
Kitchener
TheGoodDealer wrote:
Pt 2.

Might have a half decent work around. If you filter for a specific category the threads WILL show as unread which allows you to open them.

When viewing without a filter, most/all of the threads do show as read and don't work. Those same threads work when filtered under the category it was posted in. Unfortunately they don't save the 'read' staus though, after refreshing it will show as unread again.

PITA having to cycle through all the categories but at least it seems to work.
This works for me. If you filter, open a random thread, then go back and then take off the filter by hitting the little X, all threads will show the unread blue dot and you can open them normally. Great find.
Last edited by hyperion on Nov 23rd, 2022 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dec 1, 2014
182 posts
117 upvotes
Kanata, ON
ended up removing the Forums app, but it was pefect, RIP.

Hope it can come back, but using the RFD app for now --> it's not the same
May 5, 2017
731 posts
380 upvotes
I am constantly logged out in the new app as the older one. I also loved the older one more too, it is useless if we cannot open the threads only to see new unread messages..
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2010
3781 posts
1770 upvotes
Edmonton
Anyone know of an RFD alternative with a good app?
Apr 8, 2007
452 posts
257 upvotes
Adding some more feedback. Since the forms app works completely fine for viewing, I'll continue to use it, as it's much better than the new app. If I need to respond or post I'll have to use the web or the new app but since it's a pain to do so it definitely impacts my level of participation. I'm not sure if others will act the same way. Definitely hoping for a fix of the forms app.
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2015
1401 posts
1490 upvotes
Halton, ON
bnevets27 wrote: Adding some more feedback. Since the forms app works completely fine for viewing, I'll continue to use it, as it's much better than the new app. If I need to respond or post I'll have to use the web or the new app but since it's a pain to do so it definitely impacts my level of participation. I'm not sure if others will act the same way. Definitely hoping for a fix of the forms app.
Same for me. +1 for forums app for viewing.

Cheers!
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2015
5779 posts
6721 upvotes
Alberta
Trying to keep the forum app alive. Half the notifications I follow to it just kicked me out and I lose the link. I normally use the forum app to scroll until I see the previous threads where I left off and then mark the forum as read so that no thread goes unseen. Now I need to run two apps and 2 browsers (mobile and desktop because mobile can't mark forum read). Its beyond tedious trying to maintain my presence and participation.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)