Fossil Gen 5 Smartwatches on Sale for $259

Deal Link:
Price:
$259.00
Savings:
33.6%
Expiry:
May 14, 2020
The Fossil Gen 5 Smartwatches are currently on sale for $259.00 at Amazon and Best Buy. These devices contain the latest Qualcomm Snapdragon Wear 3100 SoC along with 1 GB of RAM and 8 GB of storage. They are powered by Google's Wear OS. The regular $390 price is not cheap so it's nice to see a discount like this. Feel free to respond with your questions and comments.

https://www.androidauthority.com/fossil ... w-1020794/
Last edited by GabbyWC on Apr 24th, 2020 9:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
290 replies
Feb 16, 2018
263 posts
110 upvotes
Any difference between this and fossil sport?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2014
1099 posts
850 upvotes
Dundalk, ON
kevinc999 wrote: Any difference between this and fossil sport?
Yes. See here for a detailed comparison.
Aug 26, 2005
522 posts
366 upvotes
The 46mm are also the same price at Best Buy. For me it's still a bit steep given the circumstances. Being laid off, I gotta spend money wisely.
I've read the extra ram and newer chip makes a huge difference in performance. There's also a thread that shows how to disable some of the bloatware on the Fossil Sport so it should work for the Gen 5 as well.
Nov 22, 2016
98 posts
69 upvotes
kevinc999 wrote: Any difference between this and fossil sport?
double the ram and apparently sport is really light weight, I think.
Deal Guru
Jan 12, 2017
14374 posts
4069 upvotes
Scarberia
Still too xpensive imo... Gen4 sport was like 90 bucks last month.. Same sd3100
*SIG: Ryzen R5 2600 cpu w/ ASrock B450M OCd to 4.0ghz@1.265v stock cooler 16gb ram win10 pro w/radeon rx460 rogers Gigabit<< xb1 gamertag: mikka2017 >>
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2014
1099 posts
850 upvotes
Dundalk, ON
mikka2017 wrote: Still too xpensive imo... Gen4 sport was like 90 bucks last month.. Same sd3100
The SoC is the same but the Fossil Gen 4 Sport comes with only 512 MB of RAM (which noticeably affects performance), 4 GB of storage capacity and it lacks a speaker.
Deal Guru
Jan 12, 2017
14374 posts
4069 upvotes
Scarberia
GabbyWC wrote: The SoC is the same but the Fossil Gen 4 Sport comes with only 512 MB of RAM (which noticeably affects performance), 4 GB of storage capacity and it lacks a speaker.
True.. I luv the nfc.. Paying stuff with wrist is nice... No speakers tf. I hate that more then the thick bezels
*SIG: Ryzen R5 2600 cpu w/ ASrock B450M OCd to 4.0ghz@1.265v stock cooler 16gb ram win10 pro w/radeon rx460 rogers Gigabit<< xb1 gamertag: mikka2017 >>
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2014
1099 posts
850 upvotes
Dundalk, ON
mikka2017 wrote: True.. I luv the nfc.. Paying stuff with wrist is nice.
Yeah, the Google Pay support is one of the main reasons why I'll probably buy the Fossil Gen 5 Carlyle smartwatch. My Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 phone lacks NFC so this watch will be able to fill in that gap and I won't have to buy another phone for tap-to-pay transactions. This is an increasingly appealing option now that Google has tightened security and made it much more difficult for phones with unlocked bootloaders to pass SafetyNet. A phone which fails SafetyNet cannot run Google Pay and certain other apps which perform that security check. Fortunately, a Wear OS smartwatch does not depend on the Google Pay phone app to keep functioning after the initial setup. If I'm in a situation where I don't have my wallet or phone nearby, I'll probably still be wearing my watch.
Last edited by GabbyWC on Apr 24th, 2020 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2011
1168 posts
839 upvotes
Whitby
GabbyWC wrote: Yeah, the Google Pay support is one of the main reasons why I'll probably buy the Fossil Gen 5 Carlyle smartwatch. My Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 phone lacks NFC so this watch will be able to fill in that gap and I won't have to buy another phone for tap-to-pay transactions. This is an increasingly appealing option now that Google has tightened security and made it much more difficult for phones with unlocked bootloaders to pass SafetyNet (which is required to use Google Pay on phones). If I'm in a situation where I don't have my wallet or phone nearby, I'll probably still be wearing my watch.
I am not sure whether Google Pay on watch works without phone nearby.. as I assume it would need to connect to Internet for authorizations or something..
Koodo Mobile | Stack | Lyft | Instagram
Feb 2, 2017
453 posts
514 upvotes
How's the battery life on these things?
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2015
3811 posts
3863 upvotes
Alberta
I have both the Sport and Gen 5. The Gen 5 is noticeably faster and better. To be honest though, I've really only worn my Gen 5 a couple times. I work industrial shift work and wear my Sport all day everyday, home too. Its light/comfortable and I wear/bang the hell out of it and its still like new. The sport gets the job done with always on display all day under my normal light usage. I'm still around 50% battery at end of day and top up in short time (20min) then leave on nightstand at night not charging. I purchased the Gen 5 because the deal I got was so hot that I would feel bad even sharing it here. There is new employee training to prevent it from happening again. I designated the Gen 5 my town watch and towns are closed. The Sport is my daily banger.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2014
1099 posts
850 upvotes
Dundalk, ON
abshahul wrote: I am not sure whether Google Pay on watch works without phone nearby.. as I assume it would need to connect to Internet for authorizations or something..
Apparently, Google Pay on a smartwatch does function without having a phone nearby or the watch having Internet access.

https://support.google.com/wearos/answer/7643998

According to discussions about this topic on Reddit, the Google Pay app for Wear OS stores a number of payment authorization tokens for offline usage and refreshes that information when it has Internet access.
jaydubz wrote: How's the battery life on these things?
The Android Authority review of this device (which is linked to in my original post) discusses the battery life. It's decent and typically lasts up to one day but it depends on which features are enabled and used. There are modes which can extend the battery life.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2006
2629 posts
536 upvotes
I read a lot of bad reviews about the Sport, but I got it in the last sale for $82 and the battery easily lasts a day. Runs pretty fast. Totally worth it.
Feb 16, 2018
263 posts
110 upvotes
GabbyWC wrote: Yeah, the Google Pay support is one of the main reasons why I'll probably buy the Fossil Gen 5 Carlyle smartwatch. My Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 phone lacks NFC so this watch will be able to fill in that gap and I won't have to buy another phone for tap-to-pay transactions. This is an increasingly appealing option now that Google has tightened security and made it much more difficult for phones with unlocked bootloaders to pass SafetyNet. A phone which fails SafetyNet cannot run Google Pay and certain other apps which perform that security check. Fortunately, a Wear OS smartwatch does not depend on the Google Pay phone app to keep functioning after the initial setup. If I'm in a situation where I don't have my wallet or phone nearby, I'll probably still be wearing my watch.
Fossil sport has NFC also? No?
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2015
3811 posts
3863 upvotes
Alberta
kevinc999 wrote: Fossil sport has NFC also? No?
Yes. Google pay works great.
Dec 20, 2018
242 posts
218 upvotes
winnipeg
Is your weather app working fine daily?
my sport cant detect my location now and then
Dec 5, 2018
233 posts
256 upvotes
Montreal
Headsup - coupon BIGDEAL = 40% off works on GEN 5 SMARTWATCH THE CARLYLE HR DARK BROWN LEATHER. Just purchased one at this price :

Subtotal C$ 260.00
Order Discount - C$ 104.00
Shipping FREE
Estimated Tax C$ 23.52
TOTAL C$ 179.52

It didn't work on the other gen5 model though (which looks cooler, but well).

2.5% on Rakuten.
Aug 3, 2014
189 posts
236 upvotes
JimmyC680 wrote: Headsup - coupon BIGDEAL = 40% off works on GEN 5 SMARTWATCH THE CARLYLE HR DARK BROWN LEATHER. Just purchased one at this price :

Subtotal C$ 260.00
Order Discount - C$ 104.00
Shipping FREE
Estimated Tax C$ 23.52
TOTAL C$ 179.52

It didn't work on the other gen5 model though (which looks cooler, but well).

2.5% on Rakuten.
Thanks!! Just bought and will swap out the strap