Travel

Found an AWD code for AVIS, but too good to be true?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 5th, 2022 1:25 pm
[OP]
Nov 7, 2017
308 posts
375 upvotes
Kitchener

Found an AWD code for AVIS, but too good to be true?

Hey guys,
I am planning to rent a full-size car at the Toronto airport (YYZ) next month for one week, and the price looks so expensive.

From Expedia:
Avis - $740
Budget - $660
Hertz - $740
National - $740
Enterprise - $676
Alamo - $604

I usually booked from Costco travel, but this time I didn't find good deals:
Avis - $626
Budget - $654
Enterprise - $630
Alamo - $562

Then, I tried an AWD code A017600 at avis.ca, and the price was only $255.88 for a full-size car for one week. I searched this code and it was used for Costco member at Budget before. Another strange thing was I couldn't use this code when I logged in Avis.ca as a member (errors occurred at the final step), but I finished the booking as a guest. I have done the reservation and received a confirmation number from Avis.ca. Just wondering if anyone tried this code before at Avis? It looks too good to be true for me. I don't want to arrive at YYZ airport and Avis refused to give me a car. Or, is this common to get such a good deal?

------------------------------------------------

This is a code from "VOLKSWAGEN GR BUILD UP".
I tried this code three times this month (July, 2019) in Canada, worked only once.
Last edited by liuj69 on Jul 30th, 2019 1:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
56 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
7874 posts
3742 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Do you know what or who the code is for? Might be some contract code that won't cover you in case of accidents.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2013
1560 posts
380 upvotes
Red Deer, AB
I have a discount code for Avis that would give me a big discount, however it doesn’t give me unlimited mileage, so I never use it. You may want to double check that.
Banned
Apr 5, 2013
5810 posts
2999 upvotes
keenland
there should be a sticky thread with this..rental car codes...found myself screwed this past weekend and needed a fair price on a rental..$150usd a day was a little rich...a generic code may have helped...costco, hotwire priceleine were all crazy high (weather fux in NE states)...Uber was it.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
7874 posts
3742 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
as a last resort, try rentalcars.com
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Deal Addict
May 16, 2017
2173 posts
2825 upvotes
A017600 is a Costco BUDGET discount code. The proper Costco AVIS AWD code is C857500. A017600 may represent something completely different at AVIS.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2006
9041 posts
3630 upvotes
Toronto
I just used it to book something in US and it gave a good rate. Let us know how it goes using this code. If it's just a matter of being a Costco member, that's no problem. Many people are Costco members, as I am.
[OP]
Nov 7, 2017
308 posts
375 upvotes
Kitchener
thriftshopper wrote: Do you know what or who the code is for? Might be some contract code that won't cover you in case of accidents.
From the confirmation email, I didn't see any information about this code. I know some code can show this kind of information.
I will double check with AVIS when I pick up the car about the coverage.

Thanks
[OP]
Nov 7, 2017
308 posts
375 upvotes
Kitchener
knuks101 wrote: I have a discount code for Avis that would give me a big discount, however it doesn’t give me unlimited mileage, so I never use it. You may want to double check that.
For the code I used, it included.

Chevrolet Impala or similar
Kilometers: Unlimited
Automatic Transmission
[OP]
Nov 7, 2017
308 posts
375 upvotes
Kitchener
Arrgh wrote: I just used it to book something in US and it gave a good rate. Let us know how it goes using this code. If it's just a matter of being a Costco member, that's no problem. Many people are Costco members, as I am.
Yes, it's ture.
I will update next month about my experience and if they can not give me a car, I will take a taxi to an off-airport location and the price is also good.
I didn't book with an off-airport location because I will arrive very early and I don't want to wait two hours to get a car.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2004
4494 posts
2150 upvotes
Calgary
I have a company discount code and my code would get 255$ for a week. The code is definitely legitimate but you may need to provide proof of employment (which you wont if you used a random code). It's for unlimited kilometres. You are likely fine with it, at worst they will not give you the discount (unlikely).

I use my company discount code if travelling nationally (company rates at airports specifically are much better than retail). Budget and Avis are the same company (my code is the same for both).
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2011
1103 posts
467 upvotes
HRM
A017600 is an interesting code. It behaves similar to one I had in the past that is no longer active. It could be this one is not eligible for FF miles - as per some corporate contracts.

If you are worried about booking with this code, you could use a site like orbitz.com that allows you to search for car rentals - then click additional options and add the AWD under corporate code. This way it will look (to avis) like it is a normal booking that just came thru the GDS from orbitz as is.

Good luck.
Images
  • orbitz.jpg
Jul 5, 2008
89 posts
3 upvotes
I used it to book for Hawaii in late August. It looks like it is unlimited miles but no insurance - which is fine for me as I have optional coverage through my insurance as well as my credit card? I’m hoping it works!
Banned
Apr 5, 2013
5810 posts
2999 upvotes
keenland
hockeywidow wrote: I used it to book for Hawaii in late August. It looks like it is unlimited miles but no insurance - which is fine for me as I have optional coverage through my insurance as well as my credit card? I’m hoping it works!
if you have a confirmation, you should be good...i have never had them question proof when using a code after the confirmation...just shows a reserved price in their system...
[OP]
Nov 7, 2017
308 posts
375 upvotes
Kitchener
westcoastyvr wrote: A017600 is an interesting code. It behaves similar to one I had in the past that is no longer active. It could be this one is not eligible for FF miles - as per some corporate contracts.

If you are worried about booking with this code, you could use a site like orbitz.com that allows you to search for car rentals - then click additional options and add the AWD under corporate code. This way it will look (to avis) like it is a normal booking that just came thru the GDS from orbitz as is.

Good luck.
That's great! I will take a look.
Thanks
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2003
19149 posts
3372 upvotes
9347934 downvotes
If your reservations is refused, just make sure you have a back-up res at another company.

Check both Costcotravel.ca and Costcotravel.com as it's been reported here that they sometimes have different rates. (I don't think I've ever found a difference.)
Deal Guru
May 29, 2006
10638 posts
3308 upvotes
im in the same boat OP, I have a rental in 1 month in NF using a random AWD code, it was going to be 800$ and its 300$, I tried like 50 codes until a certain code stuck. I couldn't believe it. hopefully I wont have issues, my experience renting cars is usually the agent doesn't care about the rates or codes, they just print whats on the booking and you are done.
Apr 11, 2006
208 posts
35 upvotes
Just wondering if anyone has an update after having used this code and whether everything went fine
[OP]
Nov 7, 2017
308 posts
375 upvotes
Kitchener
Robbo wrote: Just wondering if anyone has an update after having used this code and whether everything went fine
I will try it on July 3rd.
Dec 21, 2015
9 posts
6 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Tried this code in a resent trip for a rental car at the airport for a week, worked fine! Saved me a few hundred dollars and no questions aske. Tried to get a Ford focus but got stuck with a KIA soul but it was worth it for what I needed it for.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)