Computers & Electronics

Found a device to strip HDCP 2.2, to fix home theatre compatibility issues.

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 2nd, 2017 11:26 am
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
18355 posts
4739 upvotes
Toronto

Found a device to strip HDCP 2.2, to fix home theatre compatibility issues.

I have a 1080p projector, which looks great, and in fact I just bought it last year. I didn't feel like spending the money on a 4K projector just yet. I'll wait a few generations. However, one irritating issue that I ran into is that some studios are now only releasing their Dolby Atmos tracks on 4K discs, even though 1080p Blu-ray supports it just fine. That means to get Dolby Atmos from all titles that have it, even on a 1080p system, you need a 4K UHD player.

So I bought one. I now have a Panasonic DMP-UB400. It has good 4K HDR to SDR conversion, with an adjustment slider, and it outputs 1080p with no HDCP issues on my setup, which includes a Marantz SR5010 4K-compatible receiver and a Sony VPL-HW45ES 1080p projector.

Unfortunately, as expected the projector does not support HDCP 2.2. For 4K movies downsampled to 1080p, that's actually not a problem, because the Panasonic Blu-ray player will happily handshake at HDCP 1.4 for 1080p. The weird quirk though is Netflix won't work at all. Even if you manually force 1080p output in the player settings the Netflix app refuses to even launch if it doesn't detect HDCP 2.2.

So I bought this:

Revesun HDMI Splitter 1 in 2 out

It's just a splitter, but one with an interesting feature. It will handshake an HDCP 2.2 link with the player, but then strip the signal of HDCP 2.2, and output the video as 1080p. With this little guy in the chain, the player sees HDCP 2.2, but the projector does not need it, and everyone's happy.

The other scenario where I could see this helping is with my Bell Fibe TV PVR. The PVR they usually spec these days for home installs is their 4K PVR. However, with my Denon 4K receiver and 768p plasma, the PVR refuses to connect. It will display something on the TV, but that something is just a message saying I need HDCP 2.2 for it to work. So what I have to do with that TV is bypass the receiver and connect the 4K PVR directly to the TV. I have to run sound separately to the receiver. It's clear there is some issue with 4K device compatibility with some older equipment, even when just transmitting 1080p (which shouldn't need HDCP 2.2.) I haven't tried it yet, but I'm thinking putting the Revesun HDMI splitter in the chain would eliminate this problem too.

EDIT:

I originally wrote that it changes HDCP 2.2 to 1.4 for the display, but that may be incorrect. According to other posters, HDCP is stripped completely. No replacement with HDCP 1.4.
Last edited by EugW on Jul 19th, 2017 2:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.
10 replies
Deal Expert
Mar 14, 2009
15157 posts
6173 upvotes
Useful find, thanks for sharing. What would be even better is an HDMI 2.0 switch that does the same thing. I would buy one. I hear they exist. They strip off the HDCP 2.2 and leave the full 4k signal intact.
I am a Zoomer customer.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
18355 posts
4739 upvotes
Toronto
SickBeast wrote: Useful find, thanks for sharing. What would be even better is an HDMI 2.0 switch that does the same thing. I would buy one. I hear they exist. They strip off the HDCP 2.2 and leave the full 4k signal intact.
Actually, that splitter will reportedly output 4K as well, although I haven't tried it.

It's limited to 10 Gbps bandwidth though, so for 4Kp60 with the highest colour depths, it won't work. This is from their specs:

Specification;
Video Bandwidth ----300MHz/10.2 Gbps
Input Ports----1 x HDMI (Female type)
Output Ports---- 2 x HDMI (Female type)
Output Resolution:
480i ~1080p50/60, 4Kx2K@24/30,
4k2k@60Hz with 12bit YCBCR 4:2:0,
VGA~UXGA

It is supposed to work with 4Kp24, 4Kp30, and 4Kp60 4:2:0. Like I said, I haven't tried it, but I believe some people are using this with their older 4K TVs from a few years back that don't support HDCP 2.2.

BTW, I'm not even completely sure it replaces the HDCP 2.2 with HDCP 1.4 actually. Could it just be replacing HDCP 2.2 with nothing? Either way, it fixes my compatibility issue for the projector.
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
14276 posts
5487 upvotes
Ottawa
EugW wrote: BTW, I'm not even completely sure it replaces the HDCP 2.2 with HDCP 1.4 actually. Could it just be replacing HDCP 2.2 with nothing? Either way, it fixes my compatibility issue for the projector.
If they can remove 2.2, wouldn't be easier to just strip HDCP completely? I have one of those 1.4 splitters that remove HDCP completely. I'm pretty sure 99% of the HDMI splitters made these days don't keep HDCP intact.
RFD is not just about saving money, it's about the thrill of the hunt and getting the stuff I want without paying full price like Joe Shmoe did.
This applies to everyday items as well as high end items that I don't really need.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
7747 posts
2700 upvotes
ON
warpdrive wrote: If they can remove 2.2, wouldn't be easier to just strip HDCP completely? I have one of those 1.4 splitters that remove HDCP completely. I'm pretty sure 99% of the HDMI splitters made these days don't keep HDCP intact.
Yeah, I would wonder if it actually passes any HDCP at all.
I have an older one for 1.4 that was like $5 from china that let me record PS3 gameplay. Seems odd that they would go through the trouble to break the HDCP only to re-secure it again - and why would anyone even want that? HDCP exists solely to hinder the consumer (as seen in OP) - it doesn't stop piracy one bit.
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
14276 posts
5487 upvotes
Ottawa
I googled a bit and there was one guy in one other forum that linked to this same splitter and said it removes HDCP completely.(sorry, don't have the link)
RFD is not just about saving money, it's about the thrill of the hunt and getting the stuff I want without paying full price like Joe Shmoe did.
This applies to everyday items as well as high end items that I don't really need.
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2005
1651 posts
695 upvotes
If that is true I can just buy this guy instead of upgrading my receiver to support HDCP. It already does 4k but not HDCP. Anyone can confirm?
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
18355 posts
4739 upvotes
Toronto
warpdrive wrote: If they can remove 2.2, wouldn't be easier to just strip HDCP completely? I have one of those 1.4 splitters that remove HDCP completely. I'm pretty sure 99% of the HDMI splitters made these days don't keep HDCP intact.
Ok, that makes more sense. I wonder how they get away with that.

BTW, it has two EDID modes. One just is internal to the device but that default is stereo audio only, which is useless for most people. The other mode reads the EDID of the display and passes that info along... but with HDCP 2.2 support.

I learned this the hard way. I plugged it in and the video worked fine but the audio was stereo only. So after I RTFM I realized I needed to set it to TV EDID mode, so now bitstream audio (DD 5.1 in Netflix and Dolby Atmos from Blu-ray) all works perfectly.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2016
2427 posts
1260 upvotes
Mississauga
Offtopic, but I presume this is how pirates can get a true 4K copies of new movies? Once HDCP is removed, simply copy/record everything coming out of HDMI at the other end.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 6, 2005
5782 posts
803 upvotes
IndyBeak wrote: Offtopic, but I presume this is how pirates can get a true 4K copies of new movies? Once HDCP is removed, simply copy/record everything coming out of HDMI at the other end.
Correct, it is no longer encrypted.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2004
9981 posts
831 upvotes
Toronto
thanks op! this is ggold mind of information!
"When operating the viewfinder diopter control with your eye to the viewfinder, care should be taken not to put your finger in your eye accidentally."