Automotive

Found an EV that actually gets my interest.

• Last Updated:
  • May 26th, 2021 7:53 am
Tags:
43 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jun 3, 2008
7821 posts
3967 upvotes
I love how it has a 4 speed manual transmission that is totally unnecessary, but is just there...

This sounds like an incredibly fun car to hoon around in an empty parking lot on a snowy day.

I don't understand the business reasons behind a concept car like that, but do I care? Some engineers having fun lol.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2008
9115 posts
7158 upvotes
Kitchener
KevinM56081 wrote: See https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a3647 ... d-concept/

Doesn't have a sunroof, but then, other then the Korean ev's, I don't think anyone has one that is operable.

Manual though!
Perfect, get your deposit money down on this concept vehicle!!! It's definitely coming to production (we all know how EVs are selling around 3% and manuals are selling around 5% of automatics.......which means they'll sell approximately 12 of these in the manual trim). Sounds like huge earning potential for Opel.
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
14621 posts
8889 upvotes
Toronto
SoroSuub1 wrote: I love how it has a 4 speed manual transmission that is totally unnecessary, but is just there...

This sounds like an incredibly fun car to hoon around in an empty parking lot on a snowy day.

I don't understand the business reasons behind a concept car like that, but do I care? Some engineers having fun lol.
agreed
Rob_EV wrote: Perfect, get your deposit money down on this concept vehicle!!! It's definitely coming to production (we all know how EVs are selling around 3% and manuals are selling around 5% of automatics.......which means they'll sell approximately 12 of these in the manual trim). Sounds like huge earning potential for Opel.
Thanks buzzkill
[OP]
Temp. Banned
Jun 4, 2020
1634 posts
1657 upvotes
Clarington, ON
You do you.

There are portions of the population that still enjoy shifting their own gears.

I get that the white model 3 is the beige corolla of the EV world. If that's your thing, enjoy.
Deal Guru
Jun 24, 2006
10438 posts
4546 upvotes
KevinM56081 wrote: You do you.

There are portions of the population that still enjoy shifting their own gears.

I get that the white model 3 is the beige corolla of the EV world. If that's your thing, enjoy.
Meh, most would still take that beige Corolla.
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2004
14113 posts
4728 upvotes
RFD
Would sell like hot cakes. Build it and they will come.

I wish car makers would rebuild and sell their retro vehicles 1:1 in styling and make them electric with upgraded airbag/safety.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2008
9115 posts
7158 upvotes
Kitchener
radeonboy wrote: Would sell like hot cakes. Build it and they will come.
Is that why manual 2 door sports cars sell so well these days and nobody buys automatic SUVs anymore?

Mazda Miata US sales numbers (8,900 last year - maybe 5,000 manual transmission):
https://www.goodcarbadcar.net/mazda-mx- ... s-figures/

Mazda CX5 US sales numbers (146,000 last year):
https://www.goodcarbadcar.net/mazda-cx-5-sales-figures/

As another example, Toyota Corolla manual buyers are approximately 1 in 100.
Last edited by Rob_EV on May 20th, 2021 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2004
14113 posts
4728 upvotes
RFD
Rob_EV wrote: Is that why manual 2 door sports cars sell so well these days and nobody buys automatic SUVs anymore?
It sure is!
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2005
6096 posts
1592 upvotes
Rob_EV wrote: Perfect, get your deposit money down on this concept vehicle!!! It's definitely coming to production (we all know how EVs are selling around 3% and manuals are selling around 5% of automatics.......which means they'll sell approximately 12 of these in the manual trim). Sounds like huge earning potential for Opel.
It's been widely proven that manual transmissions are among the best anti-theft and anti-carjacking devices available. And it's free (with purchase of appropriate car).
⬆⬆⬇⬇⬅➡⬅➡BA

「上上下下左右左右BA」
[OP]
Temp. Banned
Jun 4, 2020
1634 posts
1657 upvotes
Clarington, ON
Rob_EV wrote: Is that why manual 2 door sports cars sell so well these days and nobody buys automatic SUVs anymore?

Mazda Miata US sales numbers (8,900 last year - maybe 5,000 manual transmission):
https://www.goodcarbadcar.net/mazda-mx- ... s-figures/

Mazda CX5 US sales numbers (146,000 last year):
https://www.goodcarbadcar.net/mazda-cx-5-sales-figures/

As another example, Toyota Corolla manual buyers are approximately 1 in 100.
Hard to put your kids in the backseat of a miata. Face With Tears Of Joy

Logically makes sense the cx-5 sells many more units.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2008
9115 posts
7158 upvotes
Kitchener
KevinM56081 wrote: Hard to put your kids in the backseat of a miata. Face With Tears Of Joy

Logically makes sense the cx-5 sells many more units.
I believe the argument above was that if you build a 2 door sports car with a manual transmission, MANY people will buy it. It'll "sell like hotcakes".
[OP]
Temp. Banned
Jun 4, 2020
1634 posts
1657 upvotes
Clarington, ON
Rob_EV wrote: I believe the argument above was that if you build a 2 door sports car with a manual transmission, MANY people will buy it. It'll "sell like hotcakes".
We are talking about a manual 2 door ev.

Feel free to go back to the friendly space if you don't wish to expand your horizon at all.

tesla-ownership-experience-car-talk-only-1773493/

everything-about-evs-1515791/
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2008
9115 posts
7158 upvotes
Kitchener
KevinM56081 wrote: We are talking about a manual 2 door ev.
Yup, which I predict would have an even LOWER take rate than gas powered manuals considering single speed reduction gear is a direct connection just like a manual.
Deal Fanatic
May 22, 2003
7105 posts
4015 upvotes
Vancouver
Can anyone explain how a manual transmission on an EV works? I thought EVs only had one gear?
[OP]
Temp. Banned
Jun 4, 2020
1634 posts
1657 upvotes
Clarington, ON
notenoughsleep wrote: Can anyone explain how a manual transmission on an EV works? I thought EVs only had one gear?
The same way they work in any other application with a gear box. The input speed is relative to a ratio producing a relative output speed (as well as a smile).
[OP]
Temp. Banned
Jun 4, 2020
1634 posts
1657 upvotes
Clarington, ON
Rob_EV wrote: Yup, which I predict would have an even LOWER take rate than gas powered manuals considering single speed reduction gear is a direct connection just like a manual.
My weatherperson predicts too. Wagers on that?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2008
9115 posts
7158 upvotes
Kitchener
KevinM56081 wrote: My weatherperson predicts too. Wagers on that?
Exactly 0 EVs will be produced by mainstream auto manufacturers with manual transmissions. Sorry to burst your bubble.
[OP]
Temp. Banned
Jun 4, 2020
1634 posts
1657 upvotes
Clarington, ON
Rob_EV wrote: Exactly 0 EVs will be produced by mainstream auto manufacturers with manual transmissions. Sorry to burst your bubble.
I agree.

It's unfortunate.

See above for your happy space while the rest of us are hopeful.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2008
9115 posts
7158 upvotes
Kitchener
KevinM56081 wrote: I agree.

It's unfortunate.

See above for your happy space while the rest of us are hopeful.
If it makes you happier......99% of them won't even bother with multiple gears either.