Wheels and Tires

Found one tire is leaking air, what's the best way that I can detect the problem

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 5th, 2020 6:31 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 22, 2019
1296 posts
1208 upvotes

Found one tire is leaking air, what's the best way that I can detect the problem

I changed tire one month ago and one tire is leaking air.

Is there anyway that I can detect where the problem is? I have to work Monday - Saturday, no time to go mechanic.

I have floor jack and compressor myself, just don't know how to detect the problem.
World cup is coming
8 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
4623 posts
4877 upvotes
GTA
Take the wheel off, fill a spray bottle with water and a squirt of soap, then spray the tire with the solution. Any air leaks will make bubbles or foam. Big leaks will be immediately obvious, slow leaks will appear as foam after a few minutes.

Common problems are a puncture on the face of the tread, or corrosion inside the wheel causing a leak at the tire bead / wheel lip interface.

But honestly, I wouldn't waste my time. You're going to need a shop to repair it for you anyways. You can't fix a leaking bead yourself. And a puncture should be repaired with a Combination Repair Unit from inside the tire. Some people are going to tell you that a DIY tire plug is fine, but the CRU is a much better repair, IMO.

Work can't be that busy. You can't walk, or take a bus, or take a taxi, to and from the shop?
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2006
1292 posts
1020 upvotes
Ottawa
Any dealer will accept you before work and drive you to work in their shuttle. Then, pick you up after work to get your car.

The advice above on how to find the leak is good. One more spot that can lose air: a slightly loose valve core. That one is easy to fix at home.
Nov 10, 2015
379 posts
390 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
Do the soap and water test as mentioned above.

Go to cdn tire and get those plug patch kits ($10) and diy if its a nail within the repairable area. Ive used dozens of those plugs with zero issues. 5minutes and youre done.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2015
8648 posts
4894 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
Kal Tire will say charge like $30 to repair [if repairable] but most often they will not invoice after repair done as goodwill gesture so you bring more business to them.

You can even just take tire there if can get a lift from someone.

Do tests as others have suggested and also look at valve stem.
2022: BOC raised 6 times and MCAP raised its prime next day.
2017 to 2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime next day each time.
2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited to drop its prime to include all 3 drops.
Oct 22, 2016
893 posts
802 upvotes
Comox Valley
I have also done it with Kal tire, a couple times, for a free repair. I just take it in, and leave it there, for them to repair at their timetable.
Deal Expert
Oct 5, 2008
16684 posts
11832 upvotes
Toronto
drive the car into a pool and look for the bubbles coming from where the air is escaping.

Make sure the entire car is submerged though for best results.

Please post video.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
6659 posts
1339 upvotes
Might just be the tire valve that's leaking. That should be the first thing you spray with the soapy solution.
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2006
1051 posts
823 upvotes
if it's my car I would put the spare on then take the tire to some tire shop for them to repair, either before or after work.