• Sep 7th, 2018 11:07 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2010
1648 posts
820 upvotes
Kanada

Found scratch in Telus iPhone 8 a few hours after purchase

Telus authorized dealer is unwilling to take it back for an exchange, saying that they unboxed the phone in front of me, I must have scratched the phone and they don't take back "damaged" phones despite the 14 day legal return period.

What are my recourses ?

Does the CRTC mandated 15-day return/exchange period entitle me to have my iPhone replaced ? Can I exercise that right by porting out my number to another carrier then returning the phone to Telus if the Telus store is being uncooperative ?

Thanks!
Part of the art of working in customer service, at any company, is the ability to invent plausible explanations for unexpected outcomes. An algorithm makes the decision. The agent does not necessarily know why.
28 replies
Deal Guru
Feb 19, 2008
14325 posts
4878 upvotes
London
AFAIK they only have to accept returns if it is in pristine condition. If it is not in re-salable condition, they do not have to accept the return. You can get out of your contract still within 15 days, but you will have to pay the balance off.

I may be wrong, but that's how I remember it being.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
19317 posts
8849 upvotes
Oakville
Yup. Has to be like new. If they unboxed it in store and you didn't notice, that's on you, unfortunately.

You could always try a different store/rep and hope they don't notice, but... Well.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
16980 posts
3198 upvotes
Toronto
Where and how bad is the scratch?

If it can be covered with a case of screen protector, this may be the ideal solution.
Sep 27, 2003
10258 posts
2780 upvotes
Newmarket
What kind of scratch are we talking?

The biggest issue is the original store risks being refused the return back to TELUS if they return a damaged item.
RFD Forums Moderator
Deal Fanatic
Jun 17, 2013
5120 posts
1493 upvotes
Montreal
was it brand spanking new when it was opened?
Jan 7, 2007
147 posts
38 upvotes
Some credit cards have accident protection on purchases. You might be able to try to get a claim on repair cost.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5047 posts
635 upvotes
NORTH YORK
SnoopDop wrote: Telus authorized dealer is unwilling to take it back for an exchange, saying that they unboxed the phone in front of me, I must have scratched the phone and they don't take back "damaged" phones despite the 14 day legal return period.

What are my recourses ?

Does the CRTC mandated 15-day return/exchange period entitle me to have my iPhone replaced ? Can I exercise that right by porting out my number to another carrier then returning the phone to Telus if the Telus store is being uncooperative ?

Thanks!
I bet that the scratch is little otherwise you will notice it. How bad is it?
Daniel

Fido $0 3Gb LTE + overage plan until Feb 2019
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2010
1648 posts
820 upvotes
Kanada
Here is an image of the scratch/crack, ladies and gents, it starts from the earpiece (just above the clock)

Part of the art of working in customer service, at any company, is the ability to invent plausible explanations for unexpected outcomes. An algorithm makes the decision. The agent does not necessarily know why.
Sep 27, 2003
10258 posts
2780 upvotes
Newmarket
And how is Apple / TELUS supposed to verify that the scratch didn't happen in your pocket? It's tough, and I doubt the retail store will take the risk on a rejected return.

The Apple Store may be willing to help you out as good will.
RFD Forums Moderator
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2006
2979 posts
982 upvotes
Toronto
OP you should try taking it to the Apple store (make an appointment online first). I've taken a brand new iPhone from Fido to the Apple store for exchange after noticing a small scratch on the frame upon unboxing.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2010
1648 posts
820 upvotes
Kanada
WorldIRC wrote: And how is Apple / TELUS supposed to verify that the scratch didn't happen in your pocket? It's tough, and I doubt the retail store will take the risk on a rejected return.

The Apple Store may be willing to help you out as good will.
I understand your point. Does it mean that the onus is on the consumer (and not the store or manufacturer) to demonstrate that it was NOT accidental damage ? What if there was a scratch or damage that was not noticed in store then discovered later ?

I went to the Apple Store but they refused to exchange or repair it as part of the manufacturer's warranty or as a goodwill gesture. I am now escalating my case through Apple's customer service levels
Last edited by SnoopDop on Aug 23rd, 2018 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sep 27, 2003
10258 posts
2780 upvotes
Newmarket
SnoopDop wrote: I understand your point. Does it mean that the onus is on the consumer (and not the store or manufacturer) to demonstrate that it was accidental damage ? What if there was a scratch or damage that was not noticed in store then discovered later ?
I do believe the consumer should inspect all items before leaving the store. I also believe the store should require the customer to open the box, inspect the goods, and sign off prior to leaving. If the customer doesn't wish to open the box, that is OK, but they must sign a waiver then.
RFD Forums Moderator
Deal Guru
Feb 19, 2008
14325 posts
4878 upvotes
London
SnoopDop wrote: I understand your point. Does it mean that the onus is on the consumer (and not the store or manufacturer) to demonstrate that it was accidental damage ? What if there was a scratch or damage that was not noticed in store then discovered later ?

I went to the Apple Store but they refused to exchange or repair it as part of the manufacturer's warranty or as a goodwill gesture. I am now escalating my case through Apple's customer service levels
At the end of the day onus is ALWAYS on the customer to verify before leaving the store.

This is why Best Buy has you visually inspect TVs before they let you take them out of the store.
Jul 19, 2010
606 posts
243 upvotes
Calgary
Did they open the box / remove the shrink wrap infront of you? what about peeling off the screen protector?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2010
1648 posts
820 upvotes
Kanada
drtmrcht wrote: Did they open the box / remove the shrink wrap infront of you? what about peeling off the screen protector?
Yes they did that in front of me. I did not immediately notice any scratch, but I must admit that I was not meticulous or exhaustive in inspecting the device for scratches or other damage.
Jul 19, 2010
606 posts
243 upvotes
Calgary
Can't say I blame the store.. it's crappy it happened to you, but if could go either way.. It was scratched during manufacturing or somehow happened while in your possession.
Sep 27, 2003
10258 posts
2780 upvotes
Newmarket
SnoopDop wrote: Yes they did that in front of me. I did not immediately notice any scratch, but I must admit that I was not meticulous or exhaustive in inspecting the device for scratches or other damage.
Then in this case, the store is not liable. They provided you an opportunity to inspect. I hope that Apple can help you out.
RFD Forums Moderator
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
4846 posts
3338 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
Shitty situation but they did opened and inspected the phone in front of you. I do know that Telus has exchanged phones before as a goodwill gesture. If apple won't help, try calling Telus and they may help you out. Just try to be sincere and don't start blaming everyone and you may find a sympathetic rep willing to help.
Current Fido and Rogers customer.
Ex Koodo customer.