• Last Updated:
  • Aug 10th, 2021 2:48 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Jun 23, 2019
537 posts
394 upvotes

Foundation Cracked/Leaking

Hey guys, I noticed yesterday after the heavy rain fall that I had water leaking from one of the foundation walls. I pulled back the insulation and found a small crack running down the foundation wall that was letting some water in. It's hard to tell how much water leaked in because the bottom of that wall goes into a wood piece that is recessed in the concrete floor. Who should I call to fix this, or can I DIY a repair?
Images
  • IMG_4951.JPG
12 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
8031 posts
9006 upvotes
Montréal
vrscdx wrote: Hey guys, I noticed yesterday after the heavy rain fall that I had water leaking from one of the foundation walls. I pulled back the insulation and found a small crack running down the foundation wall that was letting some water in. It's hard to tell how much water leaked in because the bottom of that wall goes into a wood piece that is recessed in the concrete floor. Who should I call to fix this, or can I DIY a repair?
Ghostbusters

Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2009
1593 posts
961 upvotes
Windsor, ON area
Crackfillerguy

We had the same issue a few weeks ago. My husband called crackfillerguy, sent him pics and he came and filled it. Costed $500.
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2003
2266 posts
1325 upvotes
GTA
There's a piece of wood embedded into the concrete wall/floor joint?
[OP]
Jun 23, 2019
537 posts
394 upvotes
kittypink wrote: Crackfillerguy

We had the same issue a few weeks ago. My husband called crackfillerguy, sent him pics and he came and filled it. Costed $500.
Is there a warranty? And how was the quality of the repair?
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2008
1852 posts
875 upvotes
Toronto
exrcoupe wrote: There's a piece of wood embedded into the concrete wall/floor joint?
I noticed this too. Looks like it might be wrapped in a vapor barrier but can't really tell from the photo.

Either very strange, or I'm out of the loop on modern building techniques
Deal Addict
Apr 19, 2006
1680 posts
4101 upvotes
Call a waterproofing company. I've used RCC Waterproofing before, no complaints on their work, going on 7 years, basement wall is still water tight.
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2006
4933 posts
1828 upvotes
Not so easy there Ma…
The long term fix is often to do the repair the foundation leak from the outside which is more expensive.
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2005
3132 posts
2524 upvotes
You can buy those crack filler kits from homedepot. I used a couple of them to fill non leaking settling cracks in my foundation before I finished my basement. It involves inserting plugs up the foundation wall and then plastering over the crack, leaving only the plug holes. You then start at the bottom and inject an expanding filler and work your way up. The kit is around $100-$200 from what I can tell. I think that's what someone offering to fix the problem for you will do without excavating from the outside.

Edit: this is what I used:

https://www.amazon.ca/SikaFix-Kit-Injec ... psc=1&th=1
[OP]
Jun 23, 2019
537 posts
394 upvotes
jacquesstrap wrote: I noticed this too. Looks like it might be wrapped in a vapor barrier but can't really tell from the photo.

Either very strange, or I'm out of the loop on modern building techniques
Yes the wood is embedded in the concrete floor with vapor barrier on the bottom. The house was built in 2008 by Fernbrook Homes, and this is the first house I have seen built this way. I am pretty sure it was lazy construction when they poured the basement floor. I was recommended a company from a contractor friend that said he can patch it from the inside for around $800.
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
13084 posts
4693 upvotes
Ontario
Fixing it from the inside especially for that price I would never do. Water is entering likely from the outside wall which means if you plug the hole from the inside the water will likely eventually just find another route and leak inside again.

The things you need to look at is whats outside in the area thats leaking? Do you have gutters from the roof that are pointed away from the home and go out a few feet? Is the ground graded away from the house so water flows away and not into the house and so on. Those things can sometimes fix your issue and will cost much less. Also depending on how handy you are & where the crack is you could dig down and water proof that section yourself from the outside. Cal lover some friends buy them food/beer and you guys could do it over a weekend.
vrscdx wrote: Yes the wood is embedded in the concrete floor with vapor barrier on the bottom. The house was built in 2008 by Fernbrook Homes, and this is the first house I have seen built this way. I am pretty sure it was lazy construction when they poured the basement floor. I was recommended a company from a contractor friend that said he can patch it from the inside for around $800.
[OP]
Jun 23, 2019
537 posts
394 upvotes
sickcars wrote: Fixing it from the inside especially for that price I would never do. Water is entering likely from the outside wall which means if you plug the hole from the inside the water will likely eventually just find another route and leak inside again.

The things you need to look at is whats outside in the area thats leaking? Do you have gutters from the roof that are pointed away from the home and go out a few feet? Is the ground graded away from the house so water flows away and not into the house and so on. Those things can sometimes fix your issue and will cost much less. Also depending on how handy you are & where the crack is you could dig down and water proof that section yourself from the outside. Cal lover some friends buy them food/beer and you guys could do it over a weekend.
I believe the problem in my neighbour has his house graded higher then mine so all his water comes towards my house. I’m going to ask him if he can fix that so I don’t have all the water coming against my foundation.
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
13084 posts
4693 upvotes
Ontario
Post some photos. If he did that then the city (depending on where you live) can force him to fix it. if the builder did it then that's different.
vrscdx wrote: I believe the problem in my neighbour has his house graded higher then mine so all his water comes towards my house. I’m going to ask him if he can fix that so I don’t have all the water coming against my foundation.