Tags:
None
[OP]
Feb 10, 2015
351 posts
7 upvotes
Hamilton, ON

Foundation cracks - above the grade wall

Is it common for foundation to crack due to shifting and other causes. House is 3 years old and has one hairline crack on above the grade.
I have seen this on another houses in my developments and was wondering is this is common?
20 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2003
2311 posts
1376 upvotes
GTA
Yes, if it's a new house. If the crack becomes bigger, or starts to leak, call Tarion for new home warranty issues.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2009
5755 posts
3588 upvotes
Very common.

Could be settlement or simple shrinkage crack as concrete shrinks when it cures.

Tarion won't fix it unless it's leaking. It shouldn't leak if there is proper grading and water proofing around the house.
Deal Guru
Oct 16, 2008
10137 posts
4415 upvotes
Vaughan
Very common. I had crack at the edge of the basement window when my house was less 1 year old. My builder patched up with adhesive from the inside. Water does seeped thru if there is lots of water.
[OP]
Feb 10, 2015
351 posts
7 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
so the builder didnt fix that leak even thought house was 1 year old?
Deal Guru
Oct 16, 2008
10137 posts
4415 upvotes
Vaughan
I think 1 year for most things but foundation crack is 2 years. Check your fine print with the builder.
Stribor40 wrote: so the builder didnt fix that leak even thought house was 1 year old?
Feb 24, 2008
110 posts
27 upvotes
Toronto
Its not the crack thats under warranty, its water in building envelope. And thats 2 years.
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2003
2311 posts
1376 upvotes
GTA
If it doesn't leak, they won't do anything to fix it.

I have a crack that goes across the entire width of my basement foundation, but it never leaked and it happened within the first few years of moving in.
[OP]
Feb 10, 2015
351 posts
7 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
so the think i posted above in my pic is common?
what happens if same kind of crack happens on the inside?
my basement slob(floor) has cracks hairline like on few places
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2003
2311 posts
1376 upvotes
GTA
Keep an eye on it to see if it leaks. New homes will settle and the foundation may develop cracks, but they may never result in any leakage. That's one of the reasons why they recommend not finishing the basement until several years after a new build.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
8601 posts
5519 upvotes
Mississauga
Concrete shrinks when it cures. When it shrinks it cracks. This is normal behaviour for the material. You'll see it in almost every poured foundation wall or concrete slab floor.

Now, if the crack migrates horizontally along the foundation wall that may be of concern because it suggests the foundation is shifting. Provided it doesn't grow in size over time it should be okay. Just keep an eye on it.

And also, just because you have a foundation crack doesn't mean water will come in. If proper waterproofing was done by the builder (yeah right), that layer will still function to keep water out regardless of any cracking of the foundation behind it.
[OP]
Feb 10, 2015
351 posts
7 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
yeah i just finished my basement and i checked inside the basement before I finished for any water leaks and there weren't any. Then the other day when I was outside I noticed this crack
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2008
5754 posts
475 upvotes
You might want to seal that crack though before it gets below grade.
[OP]
Feb 10, 2015
351 posts
7 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
its probably already below the grade. I doubt that crack stopped right where the grade begins
[OP]
Feb 10, 2015
351 posts
7 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
does it matter if the crack bellow or above the grade
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2009
5755 posts
3588 upvotes
Stribor40 wrote: does it matter if the crack bellow or above the grade
It likely travels below grade. Can you see it come through on the other side in the basement?
[OP]
Feb 10, 2015
351 posts
7 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
i didn't see any before i put my walls up but to be honest I didn't really look too hard...i never had any water in the basement so I figured I am ok. I mean I can get the drywall off of that side and check but I just wanted to see what other people think.
If its something that I must do I will take walls off and look at it. If its something that its not serious then I wont bother......I don't have much experience with this just curious what other people thing
[OP]
Feb 10, 2015
351 posts
7 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
What if there is crack on another side? does it matter?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
9254 posts
2318 upvotes
Stribor40 wrote: What if there is crack on another side? does it matter?
Right now it is only cosmetic. If it becomes a functional crack, where water is coming in, then the builder will repair it. More than likely using an Epoxy sealer method which is very common - a better repair would be to dig up and fix it from the outside but one can only hope. Usually there is a parge coat or slip coat put on top of the foundation walls to cover up these unsightly cracks with. You can even buy this from HomeDepot and apply it yourself.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)