Home & Garden

Foundation screws - can they handle horizontal/lateral force?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 26th, 2020 12:25 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2003
4029 posts
1424 upvotes
Stoney Creek, ON

Foundation screws - can they handle horizontal/lateral force?

I want to put up a 6x6 post in the garden behind our detached garage to mount a garden hose reel we have. For the fact I just need a single post I prefer not to dig and do concrete and my only other option is attaching to the garage but that's a bit of a pain to do nicely with the siding. I have been looking and can't find a solid answer but can these foundation screws handle a lateral force very well? The easiest option would be a foundation screw with a 6x6. Of course in this application essentially all of the force will be horizontal from pulling the hose out across the years from the reel. Will this hold up?
3 replies
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2003
4029 posts
1424 upvotes
Stoney Creek, ON
projectman44 wrote: I found tension and shear values for tapcon red head..

https://www.itwredhead.com/portals/0/fm ... aldata.pdf

why not embed a post base into the concrete
I don't have any concrete to embed a post in other than the wall of my garage (behind siding). My preference is to avoid damaging the siding. My hope was to use a foundation screw to avoid pouring concrete.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
9485 posts
4910 upvotes
Paris
ChicoQuente wrote: I want to put up a 6x6 post in the garden behind our detached garage to mount a garden hose reel we have. For the fact I just need a single post I prefer not to dig and do concrete and my only other option is attaching to the garage but that's a bit of a pain to do nicely with the siding. I have been looking and can't find a solid answer but can these foundation screws handle a lateral force very well? The easiest option would be a foundation screw with a 6x6. Of course in this application essentially all of the force will be horizontal from pulling the hose out across the years from the reel. Will this hold up?
Use a siding mounting block. Less work than a 6x6 post and way cheaper.