Tags:
[OP]
Nov 22, 2018
137 posts
54 upvotes
Mississauga - ON

Framing: how to attach top plate

Hi
I am having trouble working out how I should be attaching the top plate to my basement wall/floor joists.

I am building parallel to the joists so usually that would mean blocking, but as you can see there is waste water pipe in the way.

how should I tackle this problem? Is there a way to build around the pipe (which will be to code, in Ontario) or am I going to have to do some new routing of the pipework?

hope someone can advise
thanks
Images
  • 20190526_135306.jpg
  • 20190526_135319.jpg
7 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2017
1030 posts
586 upvotes
London, On
Is it just an optical illusion to me, or is that pipe a few inches out from the wall to the left of the window and then goes tight to the wall just before the turn, where the shims are? If so, would it be possible to cut a few inches out of the pipe on the perpendicular side, so that it stays a few inches away from that window wall all the way along, giving you room to get the framed wall up behind it?
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2003
4925 posts
764 upvotes
Calgary
Obviously if you can cut and reroute the pipe while maintaining some slope then that will be easiest. I would extend the drain all the way to the corner and maybe also raise it at the left (window end) if you can or have to to keep it all sloping and above the joist level. Then use a smooth elbow or two to drop it into the rest of the pipe on the RHS of the corner.

Otherwise just box the header plate a little lower than the drain and make sure it is well stabilized into the corner. Put horizontal blocking at the top to stabilize sideways. Maybe even tapcon into the concrete if concerned. No code issues on the framing . Just make sure it is rigid and not going anywhere. Drywall covers lots of sins.
I apologize for offending sensitivities of alt right, alt left, or anyone in the middle, for humor or perspectives, for my maturity and occasional errors. I apologize for misunderstandings on gender, religion, politics, race or deals.
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2008
4809 posts
1339 upvotes
Soffit box, if you don't want to touch the pipe.

I'd personally at least try and extend of to the wall, instead of being ~2ft off of it now, though.
Let's hug it out
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2008
1807 posts
1152 upvotes
Build a soffit/bulkhead. Or if you wish hire a plumber to move the pipe.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 15, 2007
5154 posts
2576 upvotes
RCGA wrote: Soffit box, if you don't want to touch the pipe.

I'd personally at least try and extend of to the wall, instead of being ~2ft off of it now, though.
Why bring it to the wall when the ceiling has to get dropped anyway
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2008
4809 posts
1339 upvotes
Red_Army wrote: Why bring it to the wall when the ceiling has to get dropped anyway
'Casue it looks to be a 3" pipe and you'd be looking at a ~4" loss in ceiling height if you dropped the entire ceiling.
Let's hug it out
Deal Fanatic
Oct 15, 2007
5154 posts
2576 upvotes
RCGA wrote: 'Casue it looks to be a 3" pipe and you'd be looking at a ~4" loss in ceiling height if you dropped the entire ceiling.
It’s an 11/2” drain
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide