None
[OP]
Dec 6, 2008
264 posts
117 upvotes
Ottawa

Frank is a phone

http://www.frankisaphone.com

Has anyone heard or considered this phone? I heard the guy on CBC radio the other day. Canadian student with a Kickstarter opening next week. The specs seem ok, and servicing is in Canada AFAIK. It might be a viable option vs the Redmi Note 3/4. I like my RN3 but I'll have to just throw it out if it ever needs servicing. Thoughts?
Last edited by taskmule on Aug 31st, 2017 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Just some guy in Ottawa.
21 replies
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15537 posts
14070 upvotes
Going to the Moon
Seems like something worth considering. I'm taking it'd support all Canadian LTE bands? Definitely a good price.
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg Genesis/InLock/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]
[OP]
Dec 6, 2008
264 posts
117 upvotes
Ottawa
I asked them about LTE on Twitter. Let's see what they say.
Just some guy in Ottawa.
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
1947 posts
649 upvotes
"404: order button not found"

From their web page heheheh :/
Sep 8, 2007
500 posts
333 upvotes
Tichi wrote: "404: order button not found"

From their web page heheheh :/
this is such an amateurish website, they don't even have a proper link to their kickstarter page.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15537 posts
14070 upvotes
Going to the Moon
TCB069 wrote: this is such an amateurish website, they don't even have a proper link to their kickstarter page.
Not only that. A fair bit of fowl language on their site.
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg Genesis/InLock/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
1947 posts
649 upvotes
TCB069 wrote: this is such an amateurish website, they don't even have a proper link to their kickstarter page.
Well, on the other hand, it seems, the inventor is 16 years old.. let us give him some slack and encouragement!

Good beginning is a half a battle!
[OP]
Dec 6, 2008
264 posts
117 upvotes
Ottawa
They won't support band 66 from Freedom, all other bands supported. In regards to the 404, they put that there themselves. The Kickstarter goes live on Tuesday Sept 5 so you can't contribute yet. Jokes on you.

It's all pretty impressive for a 18 year old college kid to put this together. He's been developing it for 2 years now. Too bad it's a mediatek chip. Still, I'd love to check one out.
Just some guy in Ottawa.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2008
1629 posts
779 upvotes
Ottawa
Indiegogo is live. Learning the $180 is USD pretty much kills this for me. I know the Frank. is 4/64 but it's not that much cheaper than the Moto G. Would have to do more research before committing U$180 with delivery only promised in December (?).

=aw
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15537 posts
14070 upvotes
Going to the Moon
aw1883 wrote: Indiegogo is live. Learning the $180 is USD pretty much kills this for me. I know the Frank. is 4/64 but it's not that much cheaper than the Moto G. Would have to do more research before committing U$180 with delivery only promised in December (?).

=aw
For the price, get an Asus Zenfone or a crasher deal on Koodo discussed on this forum.

At the time of writing, that Frank. phone is $223 CAD (plus tax?). One can extract an LG G5 or Galaxy A5 2017 from Koodo for less than that. It may not have the specs of the Frank. phone, but it'll be cheaper, offer a bigger user base, etc.

I'm cool with the startup, but in our market, band 66 for LTE on Freedom Mobile would have been a killer feature for conquering the market.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 3, 2006
8661 posts
3834 upvotes
12 days north of Hop…
Haz wrote: Was that ever really in question? It was obvious from the get go
It was because they are claiming "they designed it" in the Indiegogo.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2016
3464 posts
2238 upvotes
Mississauga
Lol. The phone is a garbage. They are no designers, they are just a shop which orders stuff in bulk, puts their name and logo on the cover, and sells it. Forget any software updates or warranties. You could get much more reliable phones for 180USD.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15537 posts
14070 upvotes
Going to the Moon
IndyBeak wrote: Lol. The phone is a garbage. They are no designers, they are just a shop which orders stuff in bulk, puts their name and logo on the cover, and sells it. Forget any software updates or warranties. You could get much more reliable phones for 180USD.
Agreed. Plus that's their early bird price, then it bumps to $200USD.
Deal Addict
Aug 31, 2005
1495 posts
1037 upvotes
Richmond
I'm surprised anyone who are remotely in the know would fall for this. Just a quick look would be able to see it looks like a cheap out dated Chinese knock off from 2 years ago.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)