Personal Finance

Fraud alert from people's trust

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 24th, 2015 2:59 pm
Jul 28, 2015
235 posts
44 upvotes

Fraud alert from people's trust

How do I remove the fraud alert from people's trust.. I'm tired of getting outright refused for credit or having to call in and verify myself.
20 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2008
2781 posts
2300 upvotes
Winnipeg
Me too. But I guess it's for our protection
*Do you like someone's idea, post, or response? Why not consider giving them "thanks" and clicking the thumbs up to give them the credit they deserve.*
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2012
9301 posts
10316 upvotes
The gift that keeps on giving. ***** People's Trust, I hope they burn.

The problem is that if you cancel it, and you get new credit opened in your name or fraudulent transactions on your credit card, the bank will blame you and refuse to pay. So you're stuck until it expires in late 2019. We should make a thread then to celebrate.

Again, ***** them.
Jul 28, 2015
235 posts
44 upvotes
Poutinesauce wrote: The gift that keeps on giving. ***** People's Trust, I hope they burn.

The problem is that if you cancel it, and you get new credit opened in your name or fraudulent transactions on your credit card, the bank will blame you and refuse to pay. So you're stuck until it expires in late 2019. We should make a thread then to celebrate.

Again, ***** them.
It's too bad they have the best rates.
Sep 5, 2013
162 posts
30 upvotes
I don't know who did the mistake (Peoples Trust or TransUnion), but here is the warning I have in my TransUnion profile:

[QUOTE]RECEIVED NOTIFICATION OCTOBER 2013 THAT CONSUMER MAY BE A COMPROMISE VICTIM. PRIOR TO EXTENDING CREDIT, PLEASE CONTACT APPLICANT TO VERIFY ALL INFORMATION.
NOUS RECU AVIS EN MARS 2012 QUE CE CONSOMMATEUR A POSSIBLEMENT ETE VICTIME DE COMPROMISSION. AVANT D'ACCORDER DU CREDIT, VEUILLEZ COMMUNIQUER AVEC LE DEMANDEUR POUR VERIFIER TOUS LES RENSEIGNEMENTS.[/QUOTE]

:facepalm:
Jul 28, 2015
235 posts
44 upvotes
CyberDudeEh wrote: I don't know who did the mistake (Peoples Trust or TransUnion), but here is the warning I have in my TransUnion profile:

:facepalm:
Wow, epic fail.
Banned
Jul 17, 2008
11042 posts
3878 upvotes
CADTravels wrote: How do I remove the fraud alert from people's trust.. I'm tired of getting outright refused for credit or having to call in and verify myself.
Having a flag has no bearing of you getting refused for credit. Yes, sometimes you might have to call in (but I never had to). They usually get you to do additional security questions.

And you are pissed at PT, I'm pissed at Canada student loans where someone lost a physical hard drive with all the info. How do you lose a physical hard drive?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
9404 posts
5374 upvotes
CADTravels wrote: How do I remove the fraud alert from people's trust.. I'm tired of getting outright refused for credit or having to call in and verify myself.
It's very easy. Just go to the TransUnion website (I don't believe Equifax has this flag) and download the form to have the flag removed. You can fax the form in to the phone number provided or mail it. It takes a couple of weeks and they then send you a confirmation letter. I was going to leave the flag on my account for the full six years but ran into some of the same issues so decided it had been long enough and had it removed. Just continue to protect your personal information as always and try to order your free credit reports at least once a year to make sure all is in order. While anything can happen, if you're diligent you should be okay.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2009
2280 posts
991 upvotes
Toronto
choclover wrote: ..... Just continue to protect your personal information as always and try to order your free credit reports at least once a year to make sure all is in order.
Can one get a free credit report at six month interval, alternately from Equifax and Transunion, once a year from each of them?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
9404 posts
5374 upvotes
andrew4321 wrote: Can one get a free credit report at six month interval, alternately from Equifax and Transunion, once a year from each of them?
Yes, as far as I know you can request a free credit report from these credit agencies as often as you wish. I have never had to pay for requesting them.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 17, 2007
6412 posts
2625 upvotes
Mort Réal, QC
I'm in the process of removing it from Equifax, because Questrade won't open a margin account for me since they use Equifax for ID because they don't have brick & mortar office in QC. Even though I submitted driver's license, etc they still won't open the account because of the flag.

Anyway, the process is pretty straight forward, you have to send your request by mail or fax along with 2 government IDs and of course all your personal info (name, SIN, DOB, address, ph #...)

Of course, I sent all that more than 2 weeks ago and it's still not done, so...
Deal Addict
Jan 24, 2015
1021 posts
310 upvotes
Canadian in USA
I had someone try and open a whole series of fraud accounts once. They got data from something related to my employer, maybe one of our benefits providers, anyway a number of us got hit with these fraud accounts.

In my case a savvy credit analyst thought a loan looked suspicious and called me, whereupon I confirmed her suspicion that is wasn't me, and then she suggested I look at my credit record.

I found a half dozen fake applications in progress and managed to cancel them all before they were fulfilled. One credit card was already in the mail but I got it before it was used.

It was a HUGE amount of work getting all that cleared off my credit and I can only imagine how much more work it would have been if the lenders were out money.

Since then I have purposefully tried to keep a fraud warning on my file. I don't mind showing my ID and I don't want to go through that nightmare again.
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2010
1736 posts
776 upvotes
Calgary
rj2wells wrote: Since then I have purposefully tried to keep a fraud warning on my file. I don't mind showing my ID and I don't want to go through that nightmare again.
Exactly. There are far worse things then having to add another security step when it comes to your credit. I haven't even been a victim of people opening credit in my name, and I've contemplated paying to keep a flag on my file.
Indexer, non-yield chasing, low cost, broad based, as simple as possible investor.
Deal Addict
Jun 6, 2015
1435 posts
233 upvotes
rj2wells wrote: I had someone try and open a whole series of fraud accounts once. They got data from something related to my employer, maybe one of our benefits providers, anyway a number of us got hit with these fraud accounts.

In my case a savvy credit analyst thought a loan looked suspicious and called me, whereupon I confirmed her suspicion that is wasn't me, and then she suggested I look at my credit record.

I found a half dozen fake applications in progress and managed to cancel them all before they were fulfilled. One credit card was already in the mail but I got it before it was used.

It was a HUGE amount of work getting all that cleared off my credit and I can only imagine how much more work it would have been if the lenders were out money.

Since then I have purposefully tried to keep a fraud warning on my file. I don't mind showing my ID and I don't want to go through that nightmare again.
How do you instigate a fraud warning? Do you approach Equifax or Transunion and ask/pay for this service?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
9404 posts
5374 upvotes
Yes. I think it costs $5 which Peoples paid for some of their clients when this happened.
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2004
4205 posts
505 upvotes
Calgary
Can this flag be seen with soft check?.thx
6b 6f 63 6f 6d 61 6e 20 6f 66 20 63 64 6d 61 2d 64 65 76 2d 74 65 61 6d
Jan 2, 2009
163 posts
48 upvotes
Ontario
choclover wrote: Yes, as far as I know you can request a free credit report from these credit agencies as often as you wish. I have never had to pay for requesting them.
I requested and got one couple of months ago, but it didnt show my credit score. Do they only show credit score when you pay for it?
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2010
1736 posts
776 upvotes
Calgary
woesermarley wrote: I requested and got one couple of months ago, but it didnt show my credit score. Do they only show credit score when you pay for it?
Correct. You're entitled to your report, not a credit score (which you have to pay for).
Indexer, non-yield chasing, low cost, broad based, as simple as possible investor.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
9404 posts
5374 upvotes
woesermarley wrote: I requested and got one couple of months ago, but it didnt show my credit score. Do they only show credit score when you pay for it?
wm009's comments are correct. The first time I got to see my actual credit score was when I signed up for an Equifax account that costs money. However, the free credit report you get without having an Equifax account gives you enough information to know if there are any negative issues that need to be addressed on the account. It's always a good idea to request this at least once a year and review for any discrepancies.
Jun 27, 2007
579 posts
112 upvotes
Toronto
WHO wrote: I'm in the process of removing it from Equifax, because Questrade won't open a margin account for me since they use Equifax for ID because they don't have brick & mortar office in QC. Even though I submitted driver's license, etc they still won't open the account because of the flag.
Hi WHO, I saw your post and wanted to reach out to see if I can assist you in any way.
Let me know.

John – Team Questrade

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)