Personal Finance

Fraudulent account under Koodo tanked my friend's credit score; what to do?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 23rd, 2020 12:36 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2007
1023 posts
63 upvotes

Fraudulent account under Koodo tanked my friend's credit score; what to do?

Hello everyone. My friend got into a situation with Koodo. They recently discovered that their credit score w/ Equifax is in the 700s, but only in the 500s for TransUnion. They dug into their records and found a series of charges from Koodo from the end of 2018 to the beginning of 2019 that went unpaid for 3-4 months - leading to significant credit score damage.

My friend recalls initially discovering that a Koodo acct had deliquent charges via Credit Karma warning them about the delinquent account. My friend called Koodo and assumed the charge was related to their Public Mobile bill (because they’re sister companies under Telus). My friend paid off that bill hurriedly because they were so worried about the late payment - but didn’t really think about what had happened.

Fast forward to today, my friend realizes that they really need their credit score to not be shite. They didn’t know their TU credit score had dropped by that much and they’re trying to figure out how to get this issue lifted.

Firstly, we believe this was a fraudulent account opening. I’m not sure what we can do with this information except email TU to open a dispute with Koodo.

My friend also called Koodo and tried to get to their account departments to see if they could try to lift the charge, but Koodo reps kept saying, “we can’t lie to the credit bureaus, there IS a late charge here”. Then the Koodo reps suggested to file a police report. At this point, things feel sort of hopeless in terms of trying to get this late-charge wiped off.

What are the next steps to trying to resolve this? Should my friend open a police report? Should they try to call Koodo again? Does anyone know of a special help line with koodo?

Thanks in advance RFDers

EDIT: My friend doesn't use RFD, so I'm just posting here to get some advice on behalf of them.
Last edited by bluewaker on Jun 20th, 2020 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
7 replies
Deal Addict
May 15, 2013
1729 posts
449 upvotes
Montreal
Buy you said that "your friend" has already paid it off.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2007
1023 posts
63 upvotes
The delinquency charge stays under their credit report for the late payment and stays with you even long after it is paid off in full.
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
4633 posts
3169 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
Well he needs to figure out if it's a fraudulent account or not. There's no grey area with that. Either he opened it or he didn't. If he didn't, get as much info as you can from Koodo where that account was opened from. Then file a police report. If it's fraud, it's easy to determine. They can pinpoint when and where the account was opened and who opened it with what IDs. Might even be able to pull security cam but since they waited for so long, those cam records probably gone by then.

Also because he himself paid it, he kinda admitted the bill is his. And if it is his, then there's nothing you can do except wait for 7 years to pass.
Current Fido and Rogers customer.
Ex Koodo customer.
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2013
1288 posts
1771 upvotes
West
Hold up.... let me get this straight. So your friend detected an account on their credit file that wasn't theirs, then proceeded to call the company, and pay off said account that wasn't theirs? Can't say I have much sympathy at this stage...

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "we believe" this to be fraudulent. It is either fraudulent or not. Which one is it? Does the friend have extremely poor memory? Or are they perhaps trying to brush their screw up under the rug?

If it is truly not your friend's account, he/she should call TU to open up an investigation. Your friend can call Koodo as well to report that the account wasn't theirs, but my oh my, will they have a hard time explaining this after they personally paid it off. What a mess!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2007
1023 posts
63 upvotes
Phonophoresis wrote: Hold up.... let me get this straight. So your friend detected an account on their credit file that wasn't theirs, then proceeded to call the company, and pay off said account that wasn't theirs? Can't say I have much sympathy at this stage...

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "we believe" this to be fraudulent. It is either fraudulent or not. Which one is it? Does the friend have extremely poor memory? Or are they perhaps trying to brush their screw up under the rug?

If it is truly not your friend's account, he/she should call TU to open up an investigation. Your friend can call Koodo as well to report that the account wasn't theirs, but my oh my, will they have a hard time explaining this after they personally paid it off. What a mess!
Yeah, it's a huge mess. My friend has taken those steps, and I think they're going to open up a police report as well, as it seems that will help TU with evidence that this is fraud as opposed to delinquency.
Any other steps? Any specific phone lines to Koodo / TU / other useful parties that you guys can offer?
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
2216 posts
1114 upvotes
London
contact koodo and ask to speak with the fraud dept. they should be able to look in to it and confirm if it was or not once they do have them write u up a letter confirming this then sent it to both tu and eq they should they remove the account and any hard checks done by this. also make sure that the address on file with eq and tu is still write sometimes when the faurdster opens the account when it gets reported to tu and eq the fake address they use will be updated to that to fix that u would need to send copies of a utility bill or something as proof of address in to tu and eq to get that fixed.
Deal Addict
May 31, 2003
3033 posts
251 upvotes
Toronto, ON
bluewaker wrote: The delinquency charge stays under their credit report for the late payment and stays with you even long after it is paid off in full.
If it's truly a fradulent account, then that's identity theft. As far as Koodo's concerned though - they're right. It's a debt under your 'friends' name. The only way to get it resolved and scrubbed is to initiate an identity theft investigation. Koodo should be involved (their fraud department) and you will likely have to file a police report as well. Only after it's confirmed as identity theft, will the credit bureaus accept a request for the account to be removed from the credit file which should then correct the score.
"The crows seemed to be calling his name, thought Caw." - Jack Handey
References
HeatWare

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)